Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard an ad on WGN Radio for a new show premiering on WGN9 called 'Chicago Football Weekly.' It'll air Saturday nights at 6pm. Didn't catch the launch date, and don't know the run time or hosts, but it'll displace the first portion of the 3-hour, themed 'Friends' block.

On 8/31/2020 at 12:21 AM, 24994J said:

Just heard an ad on WGN Radio for a new show premiering on WGN9 called 'Chicago Football Weekly.' It'll air Saturday nights at 6pm. Didn't catch the launch date, and don't know the run time or hosts, but it'll displace the first portion of the 3-hour, themed 'Friends' block.

via Feder...

2515490E-0117-4BDE-99F8-88DD3259D296.thumb.jpeg.f184027e6173dd48ed6791b14d13abcc.jpeg

Edited by jase

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't watched the Sunday 9pm news much this fall, but I noticed that tonight, they dedicated the entire 9:40pm-10pm block to sports. Even though the actual show Instant Replay was quietly cancelled during the pandemic sports shutdown, they still basically did a pseudo-Instant Replay tonight. Have they been doing this all throughout the fall sports season, or did they only do it tonight because the Bears are trying to make a playoff push and because it's slow news during the holidays?

1 hour ago, Spring Rubber said:

I haven't watched the Sunday 9pm news much this fall, but I noticed that tonight, they dedicated the entire 9:40pm-10pm block to sports. Even though the actual show Instant Replay was quietly cancelled during the pandemic sports shutdown, they still basically did a pseudo-Instant Replay tonight. Have they been doing this all throughout the fall sports season, or did they only do it tonight because the Bears are trying to make a playoff push and because it's slow news during the holidays?

I noticed this the last few weeks. It's recent, but not unique to tonight.

• 4 weeks later...

The red live bug is also notable. I don't recall that when they introduced these new L3's within the last couple weeks. The word I've gotten is that WGN won't get the NewsNation look, in any form, but I doubt this is a part of a larger rollout. It still is odd, though, that they'd debut any new stuff if things are gonna be blown up within a few months.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

WGN alum Rich King is doing play-by-play with Len Kasper on the White Sox spring training game against the Indians. What a pleasant surprise.

He's been doing many of the streaming, team-produced games with NBCS Chicago's Chuck Garfien, as well. I was just as surprised to hear him.

• 1 month later...

WGN quietly launched afternoon digital newscasts last week. Anchored from newsroom flashcams by newbies Chip Brewster (at 1pm) and Christine Flores (at 2pm), they then appear together for a 10-20 minute update at 3pm that gets uploaded to YouTube and other forums for later viewing. The show uses the same station graphics, with minor updates for mobile consumption. After a headline rundown and weather update, most of it is prime social media material, plus occasional live interviews. WGN isn't the first in the market with a digital-only product, but this feels like a blend of the online show KTLA has had for awhile, with a similar presentation to NewsNation's morning non-evening content.

1738901494_bandicam2021-05-1423-07-47-799.thumb.png.cd4c737675a0fe803f86ccacb5d3f2b6.png

The announcement of the launch, plus today's show, with likely a better open than the YouTube post below: https://wgntv.com/news/wgn-news-now/watch-wgn-news-now-wgns-digital-only-newscast/

The debut edition from May 4th:

A segment from the Spanish edition:

Edited by 24994J

11 hours ago, 24994J said:

WGN quietly launched afternoon digital newscasts last week. Anchored from newsroom flashcams by newbies Chip Brewster (at 1pm) and Christine Flores (at 2pm), they then appear together for a 10-20 minute update at 3pm that gets uploaded to YouTube and other forums for later viewing. The show uses the same station graphics, with minor updates for mobile consumption. After a headline rundown and weather update, most of it is prime social media material, plus occasional live interviews. WGN isn't the first in the market with a digital-only product, but this feels like a blend of the online show KTLA has had for awhile, with a similar presentation to NewsNation's morning non-evening content.

1738901494_bandicam2021-05-1423-07-47-799.thumb.png.cd4c737675a0fe803f86ccacb5d3f2b6.png

The announcement of the launch, plus today's show, with likely a better open than the YouTube post below: https://wgntv.com/news/wgn-news-now/watch-wgn-news-now-wgns-digital-only-newscast/

The debut edition from May 4th:

A segment from the Spanish edition:

Probably the first platform in which WGN has delivered the weather without a meteorologist. Speaking of which, who has been doing the weather on weekend mornings for the past several months? Are they doing the classic strategy of having the weekend evening meteorologist (Mike Janssen) work all day every weekend, or are they rotating people in and out?

Edited by Spring Rubber

24 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Probably the first platform in which WGN has delivered the weather without a meteorologist. Speaking of which, who has been doing the weather on weekend mornings for the past several months? Are they doing the classic strategy of having the weekend evening meteorologist (Mike Janssen) work all day every weekend, or are they rotating people in and out?

It's been Jannsen most of the time.

Ben Bradley posted to social media that WGN anchors have been given the all-clear, starting with the midday news today.

839612469_bandicam2021-05-2012-09-51-239.thumb.png.7ce9d4bb3fab2cae0d77475969f13159.png

And then there's this way to announce it... 😂

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

Ben Bradley posted to social media that WGN anchors have been given the all-clear, starting with the midday news today.

839612469_bandicam2021-05-2012-09-51-239.thumb.png.7ce9d4bb3fab2cae0d77475969f13159.png

And then there's this way to announce it... 😂

Even Pat Tomasulo lol.

• Like 1

The channel 9 anchors had new headshots taken today, with the photographer set up in the remaining empty studio. Last we saw that space, the black curtains still lined what was being used as NewsNation's pre-launch newsroom. In the last few months, they appear to have added a physical set, of some kind. What little of it we can see here doesn't really point to it as an extension of either NN or WGN's current digs, but I do wonder what it's for.

From this awkward angle, I'm seeing a corner video wall, not unlike what NBC 5 just installed downtown. That ledge-like feature reminds me a little of NewsNation's catwalk. That said, that good-looking element on the right end almost looks like the beams lining the top of WGN's set.

IMG_20210525_184851.thumb.jpg.9243cf0814a7480b7e5044a4c13006d4.jpg

Edited by 24994J

46 minutes ago, 24994J said:

The channel 9 anchors had new headshots taken today, with the photographer set up in the remaining empty studio. Last we saw that space, the black curtains still lined what was being used as NewsNation's pre-launch newsroom. In the last few months, they appear to have added a physical set, of some kind. What little of it we can see here doesn't really point to it as an extension of either NN or WGN's current digs, but I do wonder what it's for.

From this awkward angle, I'm seeing a corner video wall, not unlike what NBC 5 just installed downtown. That ledge-like feature reminds me a little of NewsNation's catwalk. That said, that good-looking element on the right end almost looks like the beams lining the top of WGN's set.

IMG_20210525_184851.thumb.jpg.9243cf0814a7480b7e5044a4c13006d4.jpg

It’s my understanding NewsNation is expected to use that studio/space for their morning newscast (and other programs possibly). 

Unlikely WGN would have access to the studio after construction work is complete, but you never know.