Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

If you had any money on Ben getting the lead anchor spot, you'd be a little poorer. A job posting for an anchor position specifically refers to the "Evening and Late News." I guess that could also point to a weekend evening position, and Tahman has been pulling a lot of 5-7pm shifts, lately, but I doubt that's the case.

https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/nexstar/job/IL-Chicago2501-W-Bradley-Place-WGN-TV/News-Anchor_REQ-4528

Edited by 24994J

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

If you had any money on Ben getting the lead anchor spot, you'd be a little poorer. A job posting for an anchor position specifically refers to the "Evening and Late News." I guess that could also point to a weekend evening position, and Tahman has been pulling a lot of 5-7pm shifts, lately, but I doubt that's the case.

https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/nexstar/job/IL-Chicago2501-W-Bradley-Place-WGN-TV/News-Anchor_REQ-4528

Much like the Steve Sanders vacancy, I bet Nexstar is required to post all of their job openings to the general public, even if they have no intention of hiring from outside. I still think one of the two Bradleys will get the position.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Much like the Steve Sanders vacancy, I bet Nexstar is required to post all of their job openings to the general public, even if they have no intention of hiring from outside.

That's why you have stations airing those EEO compliance notices all the time (including a year-end doc involving which channel the accepted applicant came from); it's an FCC requirement, even though most of the time nobody attending a mass general job fair will get a job with a television station. For most of them, it's community lip service to satisfy license requirements, at best.

• Like 1

Last night was Joe’s last as a WGN-TV anchor. I was surprised to learn he won his first Emmy while there; he’d been in Portland I believe for two decades before.  

I know this will never happen, but I’d love to see Jim Williams come back from CBS and anchor 9&10 with Micah. 

2 hours ago, 312newswannabe said:

Last night was Joe’s last as a WGN-TV anchor. I was surprised to learn he won his first Emmy while there; he’d been in Portland I believe for two decades before.  

I know this will never happen, but I’d love to see Jim Williams come back from CBS and anchor 9&10 with Micah. 

I didn't even realize he was on last night. I tuned into the 5pm show and saw Patrick Elwood on. Did Joe anchor the 9pm and 10pm?

Was it totally unannounced ahead of time that it would be his last day? I knew it would be soon, but I didn't hear anything in advance.

1 hour ago, Spring Rubber said:

I didn't even realize he was on last night. I tuned into the 5pm show and saw Patrick Elwood on. Did Joe anchor the 9pm and 10pm?

Was it totally unannounced ahead of time that it would be his last day? I knew it would be soon, but I didn't hear anything in advance.

If there was an announcement, I didn’t see it, but he and Dina anchored the 9&10 last night.  

And interesting, those changes in the 10pm hour come as that latest newscast had what's likely its most competitive month ever, forging a tie for 2nd in the demo.

Meanwhile, freelancers Eric Runge and Shannon Halligan have been brought on full-time. He'll report for Morning and Midday, while she formally replaces Amy Rutledge, doing Evening traffic.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2020/06/29/joe-donlon-bows-hunt-new-top-anchor-wgn/

Looks like they planned this return to 30 minutes somewhat in advance, with enough lead time to secure a sponsor. GN Sports now has a presenting sponsor in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, and they returned to the studio tonight, even more socially distanced than the normal newscast...

20200629_230129_HDR.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

New general assignment reporter at WGN. She's reporting on shootings tonight. I didn't notice any announcement about her hiring.

https://wgntv.com/author/bronagh-tumulty/

I didn't see any mention, either. She debuted on Friday's Evening News. I had to do a double take when I heard her thick Irish accent. Canadians and Latino reporters not included, I can't think of anyone in Chicago news that's had a foreign accent.

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

I didn't see any mention, either. She debuted on Friday's Evening News. I had to do a double take when I heard her thick Irish accent. Canadians and Latino reporters not included, I can't think of anyone in Chicago news that's had a foreign accent.

She was a reporter for News12 Hudson Valley/ Westchester a few years back.. she’s been a few different places it seems since then.. she was always pretty good.. I liked her.. definitely stood out a bit lol 

Even with the Cubs and Sox back in action, WGN did not bring back Instant Replay this Sunday. I'm wondering if they decided to either permanently cancel it or if they will make it a football-season-only show.

Now that GN Sports is around Monday-Friday. I'm thinking the COVID-19 shutdown was probably a perfect time to just phase out Instant Replay permanently. Even during football season, I assume more eyes are on WMAQ's Sports Sunday due to the SNF lead-in compared to WGN.

On 7/26/2020 at 11:43 PM, Spring Rubber said:

Even with the Cubs and Sox back in action, WGN did not bring back Instant Replay this Sunday. I'm wondering if they decided to either permanently cancel it or if they will make it a football-season-only show.

Now that GN Sports is around Monday-Friday. I'm thinking the COVID-19 shutdown was probably a perfect time to just phase out Instant Replay permanently. Even during football season, I assume more eyes are on WMAQ's Sports Sunday due to the SNF lead-in compared to WGN.

WGN should have replaced Instant Replay with a Sunday edition of GN Sports. There's so much sports going on throughout the entire weekend. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ED2 said:

WGN just had the most spectacular control room failure this morning, and one of the NewsNation staffers believe they are using the NN control room to get the show back on the air.

Wow, I missed out by not waking up early this morning. I wonder what viewers saw on air.

11 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Wow, I missed out by not waking up early this morning. I wonder what viewers saw on air.

It was at least 10 minutes (I started watching at 6 AM CT) of the talent at the station crowding around the newsroom camera, the only camera working in the building (no other cameras/playback/audio was working). They brought in an easel, but the paper kept falling off while Larry drew a horse. Meanwhile, stagehands, engineers and other studio crew were running around trying to set up a makeshift set. They were back in the studio around 6:19, and as mentioned above they ended up using the NewsNation control room. 

I really regret not recording it. It was marvelous television.