Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea for Nexstar to begin to air WGN's shows on WGN America. With News Nation coming up soon, outside of one Cancon import in two weeks that's new for them, it may be better to do for now than their reruns (and at this this point, the FCC enforcing that Syndex provision is as low a priority as possible in an emergency situation).

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2020 at 3:14 PM, mrschimpf said:

I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea for Nexstar to begin to air WGN's shows on WGN America. With News Nation coming up soon, outside of one Cancon import in two weeks that's new for them, it may be better to do for now than their reruns (and at this this point, the FCC enforcing that Syndex provision is as low a priority as possible in an emergency situation).

This wouldn’t be a bad idea at all. I can see them going piece by piece, starting with their 9p news and then their midday broadcast, which were the newscasts that were broadcast during WGN’s days as a superstation to begin with. I would keep the midday newscast once News Nation begins this summer on WGN America. Now, when things finally do die down with COVID-19, I wouldn’t mind seeing them simulcast the 4-6p news, and if they’re successful, at a much later time, taking a shot at simulcasting the morning news (and boy, I would love to see the big on-air dance party that erupts when that happens 😁😁).....

Edited by J1975am

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Skilling is returning to the airwaves next Monday, and he should debut with the best home set-up in the market.

Wow, that was unexpected. I suppose him being at home has possibly allowed him to return to the air sooner than I otherwise would have thought.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Wow, that was unexpected. I suppose him being at home has possibly allowed him to return to the air sooner than I otherwise would have thought.

I mean, he had the surgery on March 4th, and was pegged to be out 4-6 weeks, with today being the 5-week mark.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I think about it, this promotion isn't too surprising, despite this being the station's first permanent 2-woman anchor pairing. The fact that Julie was formally announced as Lourdes' maternity substitute should've been a sign.

On 4/30/2020 at 6:49 PM, 24994J said:

Now that I think about it, this promotion isn't too surprising, despite this being the station's first permanent 2-woman anchor pairing. The fact that Julie was formally announced as Lourdes' maternity substitute should've been a sign.

And an interesting result today is that Ben Bradley is filling in for Dina Bair, making this the first time on WGN that I've seen a male anchor sitting on the right, and a female anchor on the left. Ordinarily, they would never have a male filling in for a female anchor, but now that the normal pairing is two females, they're willing to have anyone fill in for Julie or Dina regardless of gender.

Everyone in the market went live shortly after midnight due to a tornado warning in the western counties of the market. WGN had a very rag-tag broadcast with Demetrius in the weather center for the first time since the mets started working from home. There was no time/temp bug and no lower thirds

For whatever reason, he was wearing two separate lapel mics (was one being used for radio simulcast?), and instead of wearing an IFB, they just had Bill Snyder sitting slightly off camera relaying information to him live on the air. Bill was clearly audible to the audience as he provided information to Demetruis throughout the segment.

I guess this is the nature of overnight storm updates, especially in this COVID-19 era.

12 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Everyone in the market went live shortly after midnight due to a tornado warning in the western counties of the market. WGN had a very rag-tag broadcast with Demetrius in the weather center for the first time since the mets started working from home. There was no time/temp bug and no lower thirds

For whatever reason, he was wearing two separate lapel mics (was one being used for radio simulcast?), and instead of wearing an IFB, they just had Bill Snyder sitting slightly off camera relaying information to him live on the air. Bill was clearly audible to the audience as he provided information to Demetruis throughout the segment.

I guess this is the nature of overnight storm updates, especially in this COVID-19 era.

Sounds like a rare miss (if you will) for them. 

As we move into severe weather season, I wouldn’t be surprised if mets started returning to the studio/weather center. There’s only so much that can be done at home.

Most stations felt a little more stripped down last night. Brant Miller was still at home, and it sounded like it. ABC 7 had no lower thirds or ticker, and while in studio, Cheryl Scott never appeared on-screen. Everything right now is still a little bit of a work in progress, but for a midnight shift in a short-staffed setting, everybody got the job done.

• Like 2

Technology is quite amazing. At a station I used to work at, we had the ability to have the weather anchor cut into programming without anyone else being in the building. There was a setup in the weather center where all you had to do was push a singular button and the weather computer and the specific mic were put on air. Then, push the same button and we're back to regular scheduled programming. It wasn't fancy, but it prevented having to call a bunch of people in for severe weather at off times. Mind you, this wasn't market #3. 😉

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Newscenter5WCVB said:

There was a setup in the weather center where all you had to do was push a singular button and the weather computer and the specific mic were put on air. Then, push the same button and we're back to regular scheduled programming.

Was it a big, red, glowing button under a plexiglass box to prevent it from being accidentally pushed?

• 2 weeks later...

Gaynor Hall was basically assaulted during a live shot tonight at 10 by a guy shouting FHRITP (that’s still a thing in 2020?) Hopefully the police were called, WGN should press charges against this creep.

• Concerned 1

15 minutes ago, alex979 said:

Gaynor Hall was basically assaulted during a live shot tonight at 10 by a guy shouting FHRITP (that’s still a thing in 2020?) Hopefully the police were called, WGN should press charges against this creep.

Yikes, that stuff is scary. People are such jerks and things worse that I can't say...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, alex979 said:

My god. Really? This is still happening? If there's a brightside to this, at least there's very clear images of this idiot which will make it very easy for police to capture him and whoever he's working for to essentially fire him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MorningNews said:

He should take a cue from the guy who slapped the reporter’s ass a few months ago. Didn’t they arrest and charge him with battery sexual assault?

Yep. He was also banned from future races by local sports council that sponsored same race he participated. He claimed on 'Inside Edition' he wanted to call attention to reporter by 'tap her on the shoulder or the back'. His hand appeared to touch lower than either. He also claimed he didn't know where the reporter was as he ran quickly past her. mmm-hmm.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/runner-accused-groping-reporter-during-live-tv-broadcast-charged-sexual-n1102146

BTW, whoever created that juvenile + sick acronym inspiring f*ckboys like 'it' to display as such just to impress your friends online needs some beating. If that beating proves fatal, so be it. Why is that SHIT still a thing when that's as old as FTW + baba booey? Seriously. That's assault itself before unwanted touching. As for 'it' above, you made your bed, you lie in it. If that defines you for next 20 years, oh well, internet is forever. If that affects your job prospects and/or future relationships down the road, that protects future employers + suitors respectively. Deal.   

• Like 1

It wasn't funny when it was a fake on YouTube, and it's not funny now. Reporters are trying to do their jobs, and creeps like this make it that much harder for them. Hopefully he's found and charged seven different ways to Sunday.

Do these people not realize they're on tape?!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s been my opinion that in situations like these the FCC should take action and fine the offender.  Hunt the guy down, fine him $100,000...  If he can’t pay, garnish his wages and collect any IRS refunds he has coming for the rest of his life until it’s paid in full.

Edited by RCA TK47