Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

I've noticed that under Nexstar, they seem to always have a sub on the weekend evening newscasts when one of the anchors is out. They even have Dina Bair anchoring the 5, 9, and 10pm tonight with Jackie. Under Tribune, tonight definitely would have been Jackie solo.

Tom Negovan's bio has been removed from the WGN website, just after they debuted the Nexstar layout with an updated headshot for him. No word on if he's actually gone, but it certainly looks like it.

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Tom Negovan's bio has been removed from the WGN website, just after they debuted the Nexstar layout with an updated headshot for him. No word on if he's actually gone, but it certainly looks like it.

Interesting...I wonder if he’s headed to Good Day Wakeup w/ Roseanne. They could be a solid pair.

It definitely puts them in a pinch losing Steve Sanders and Tom Negovan on the same day. Until the replacements are hired, I'm expecting to see Sean Lewis and Patrick Elwood getting a lot of time behind the anchor desk, and possibly several female+female pairings when extra fill-ins are needed. Heaving Dina Bair and Jackie Bange this past Saturday was quite unexpected.

Also of note, yes, they did update the midday open, and Julie Unruh took a turn at the desk today. Let's see if Dina can break Stacey Baca's record of rotating co-anchors (like 10, I think) during a vacancy.

Looks like the outro of the WGN News at Ten has been removed and replaced by a teaser for GN Sports. They now do a wideshot of the desk, throw Micah's Bu-Bye graphic up on the video wall, pan out to reveal Dan and Jarrett sitting at the GN Sports desk, and then toss to Dan and Jarrett to do a full teaser for GN Sports leading into break. The Nexstar copyright graphic is also gone from the 10pm news; guess they're just looping it in with the copyright notice that appears at the end of GN Sports, just like they did for ages on Sunday nights where only Instant Replay, not the 9pm newscast, had a copyright notice.

Looks like sadly, the Chicago Fire telecasts are not produced by WGN-TV; they are instead produced by the team and/or ESPN. The graphics are ESPN's 2014 graphics package, and the mic flags display the logo of Chicago Fire FC. They keep saying, "Thank you for joining us on WGN and ESPN+" throughout the broadcast. There's no presence of WGN Sports branding anywhere on the telecast.

Yeah, I'm disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

With the COVID-19 outbreak, Instant Replay has been shelved in favor of more news. Also, Jackie and Tahman are distancing themselves in the studio, and Mike is doing the weather from a chroma key with a relatively low-res camera elsewhere in the building.

22 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

With the COVID-19 outbreak, Instant Replay has been shelved in favor of more news. Also, Jackie and Tahman are distancing themselves in the studio, and Mike is doing the weather from a chroma key with a relatively low-res camera elsewhere in the building.

While I can’t speak to WGN (I don’t watch them often), the ‘social distancing’ wasn’t taking place this morning on any channels, so it could be for presentation purposes tonight why it’s being done. The real test will be tomorrow AM and onward.

Honestly, I don’t see the point of it in these situations.

Edited by jase

They had this arrangement at 5, too. WFLD's team was separated at 9, and while WLS banished weather and sports from the desk at 5, keeping the anchors together, everyone has been dispersed to other parts of the set at 10.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Georgie56 said:

The election graphics are used on the Political Report.

...which is the standard Nexstar election graphics. I think it all looks very nice. WGN's look is usually hit or miss on election night.