Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

Hmm, looks like they might not be considering internal candidates to replace Steve Sanders on the midday news, despite having at least 5 legitimate (male) options on their bench.

https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/nexstar/job/IL-Chicago2501-W-Bradley-Place-WGN-TV/Anchor-Reporter_REQ-3239

1 minute ago, Spring Rubber said:

I wonder if Nexstar requires the job to be posted to the public? I know some corporations post all jobs in the same way for internal and external candidates, even if they do plan on promoting/hiring from within.

Hoping that's the case, because I'm sure a few individuals would certainly feel slighted, if passed over.

On 2/14/2020 at 6:22 PM, 24994J said:

He surely will, but that's still unusual. Who did the sportscast on the 5-7 block tonight? They ran the standard (same) bumper last night, but again, with Dan in AZ, it's hard to tell what standard protocol is going to be. They don't do sports at 10, who knows if Lauren will ever do GN Sports. It's a little messy.

With both Dan and Jarrett out tonight, Lauren is finally on GN Sports with Josh tonight.

45 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

With both Dan and Jarrett out tonight, Lauren is finally on GN Sports with Josh tonight.

They're affectionately calling themselves the B-team, like the 4-6am crew. They were pretty good together.

Edited by 24994J

So uhhh, you know how Feder and others called out CBS 2 for not doing a sports segment on Tuesday's 10pm show? WGN just took a page out of their book and didn't do a sports segment on tonight's 9pm show. They instead opted for a very long Black History Month long-form piece during the usual sports segment. I didn't see the first half of the news before 9:30pm, so idk if they did an early sports segment, but I've never known them to do such a thing in lieu of having sports at the usual time.

11 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

So uhhh, you know how Feder and others called out CBS 2 for not doing a sports segment on Tuesday's 10pm show? WGN just took a page out of their book and didn't do a sports segment on tonight's 9pm show. They instead opted for a very long Black History Month long-form piece during the usual sports segment. I didn't see the first half of the news before 9:30pm, so idk if they did an early sports segment, but I've never known them to do such a thing in lieu of having sports at the usual time.

A week or so ago I saw them do sports either right before or right after weather (cannot remember exactly) during the 9pm to do a special segment before the 10pm started. So they've moved sports around before.  

Edited by NBC 5 Chicago

2 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

A week or so ago I saw them do sports either right before or right after weather (cannot remember exactly) during the 9pm to do a special segment before the 10pm started. So they've moved sports around before.  

Ok, that might explain it. I didn't bother to tune in until 9:30pm to catch the weather.

I assume they'll want to go with a male replacement, and IF they go internal, this is my "short" list...

• Tom Negovan: he's been there before, but he's basically their chief nightside reporter, and most frequent back-up on the late news. The broadcast has changed drastically since he left the noon news in 2008. Would he have the range and charisma to handle what the show's evolved into?
  • Ben Bradley: only anchors the 4pm, so this would be a cost-driven move, and he has a lot of versatility from his years on weekend morning at ABC 7. He does a lot with the investigative unit, though, and this could interfere with that schedule. It would also break their trend of set, cemented anchor pairings. He also rarely fills in at midday.
  • Dan Ponce: he's anchored the 4am block for several years, but like Ben, has very little time spent in that slot. The morning B-team has ascended the ratings ladder, and he's likely more valuable there than on the already top-rated noon hour (Midday trails 7 at 11am).
  • Tahman Bradley: weekend evening anchor, would bring much-needed diversity to the weekday male anchor bench. However, as political reporter, anchoring middays would likely leave one of the roles lacking.
  • Sean Lewis: weekend morning anchor for a decade, seemingly the most frequent fill-in for Steve. I can't think of many real drawbacks, so that why he's my predicted successor. That doesn't necessarily mean he's who I'd choose, though...
  • Patrick Elwood: he's surely the long shot. Of these men, he's the only one to never hold an anchor position at WGN, though spent many years as early morning/noon anchor on FOX32. Only in the last few years has he been used on the desk, mostly on weekends and at midday. That said, he's a warm presence, a local native, and damn solid anchor. If I was in charge, he'd be my pick.
Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

God, I'll miss him. All of the Chicago TV legends I grew up watching are retiring fast.

I’ll miss Steve too.  I was pissed when Mark whomever from WFLD came in to replace Steve on the 9 pm news.  I grew up watching Steve and Allison at 9. I was really hoping for a message from her today. I hope Allison is doing well and best wishes to Steve.  

5 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

I remember Steve and Allison when they ran the 9 on the WGN America Superstation feed - some nights I'd watch them over the local news. They were that good.

Yep. They were my nightly link to Chicago after I moved to Dallas as a kid. 

Edited by Georgie56

12 hours ago, 312newswannabe said:

I’ll miss Steve too.  I was pissed when Mark whomever from WFLD came in to replace Steve on the 9 pm news.  I grew up watching Steve and Allison at 9. I was really hoping for a message from her today. I hope Allison is doing well and best wishes to Steve.  

But damn Mark Supplesa became a really good solid anchor at WGN so it was all good. But in all honestly, it should've been Steve and Allison at 9 until Allison left (due to health problems).

On 2/28/2020 at 10:57 PM, Georgie56 said:

Yep. They were my nightly link to Chicago after I moved to Dallas as a kid. 

I watched them on the superstation feed in Germantown, MD. They were my Chicago news.