Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

1 hour ago, Spring Rubber said:

I like the graphics, but I was hoping the music would be something more custom, something aligned with the WGN branding. This techno music they're using seems kinda generic.

Maybe a little too intense for late night, but it would've been nice to see more mileage gotten out of the final sports telecast theme.

8 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Can't say I'm surprised of this news.

From Feder, Longtime anchor Steve Sanders is retiring, after 37 years at Channel 9.

His last day will be February 28th.

Love this guy. One of the best at WGN. I'd watch him more during his 9:00 p.m. run than his midday run honestly but his style is next-to-amazing. Its nothing like it and its why he's so beloved at WGN and with Chicagoland viewers. It'll be sad to see him go, but he deserves retirement in every single sense of that word. Plus, he'll still be peforming too as he's a musician.

As heartbreaking and emotional it will be on his final day, it will be more so once Skilling retires.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

That didn't take long. Day 6 of GN Sports, and Dan Roan is already off. Josh Frydman is filling in. Yesterday's show was the only show with Dan and Jarrett in studio together, as Jarrett was in Miami for the Super Bowl all last week.

And really, it's only 4 times for Dan, since he's off on Fridays. I don't like that, when Dan is off, Jarrett is moving to his seat on the right. It's almost like it's Dan's show, and Jarrett only gets to sit the the main chair when Roan is off. No reason they shouldn't have equal status.

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

And really, it's only 4 times for Dan, since he's off on Fridays. I don't like that, when Dan is off, Jarrett is moving to his seat on the right. It's almost like it's Dan's show, and Jarrett only gets to sit the the main chair when Roan is off. No reason they shouldn't have equal status.

Right, on no normal newscast or sports program do you see a host move over when someone is off. An anchor always maintains their side of the desk while the fill-in takes the seat of whoever is off. It's strange to see Jarrett be moved over to the right in Dan's absence.

2 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Has Dan permanently been removed from the 5pm and 6pm news? Even on the nights Dan is working, it seems to be a rotating cast of characters on those newscasts while Dan is only appearing at 9pm and on GN Sports.

Are they running the talent bumpers?

3 hours ago, 24994J said:

Are they running the talent bumpers?

I'll have to try to pay attention next week. I haven't been watching the full hours of each newscast to catch if there was a talent open. Do you remember which block they air the talent opens during? I feel like it's either near :08 or :38, but I can't remember.

On 2/7/2020 at 12:37 PM, Spring Rubber said:

I'll have to try to pay attention next week. I haven't been watching the full hours of each newscast to catch if there was a talent open. Do you remember which block they air the talent opens during? I feel like it's either near :08 or :38, but I can't remember.

Isn't it typically at the end of the first block before the first commercial break?

On 1/28/2020 at 10:42 PM, Spring Rubber said:

I like the graphics, but I was hoping the music would be something more custom, something aligned with the WGN branding. This techno music they're using seems kinda generic.

Hmmm, somebody was listening. This week, they've added the WGN News signature to the beginning and the end of the opener.

1 hour ago, Spring Rubber said:

They just ran a Dan Roan talent bumper, which is odd for a Friday, but hey, maybe he'll be on tonight with the Spring Training report?

He surely will, but that's still unusual. Who did the sportscast on the 5-7 block tonight? They ran the standard (same) bumper last night, but again, with Dan in AZ, it's hard to tell what standard protocol is going to be. They don't do sports at 10, who knows if Lauren will ever do GN Sports. It's a little messy.

16 hours ago, 24994J said:

He surely will, but that's still unusual. Who did the sportscast on the 5-7 block tonight? They ran the standard (same) bumper last night, but again, with Dan in AZ, it's hard to tell what standard protocol is going to be. They don't do sports at 10, who knows if Lauren will ever do GN Sports. It's a little messy.

Lauren did the 5-7 block of sports in studio. Come to think of it, there were several times prior to GN Sports debut where they aired the Dan Roan bumper on a Friday even though Lauren or somebody else was doing sports. Did they stop using the special Friday bumpers for some reason? Maybe somebody new took over in production that doesn't even realize they have special Friday bumpers with Lauren in them.

WGN Sports isn't over after all; the Chicago Fire are airing 24 matches this year under a multi-year deal with the station, along with surrounding programming (it'll also be nationwide through MLS's ESPN+ streaming); not sure if it's WGN with editorial control or a brokered arrangement for play-by-play.