Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

I don't expect them to syndicate it, at least not year one. Once they get ratings feedback and see how the format faired with the audience, I think maybe they'd consider it the following year, assuming they continue to do the show.

• 3 weeks later...

Dean Richards recently got roughed up in a fall downtown, so veteran anchor Steve Sanders will appear as host of this Friday night's holiday presentation of 'Family Classics,' becoming only the 4th person to introduce the once-weekly film presentation. He should do a fabulous job.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/12/12/robservations-steve-sanders-saves-day-wgns-family-classics/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Channel 9 is adding local news & programming beginning 1/11.

• The station will debut a new half-hour 10pm on weekends.
  • The Saturday morning news will be extended one hour, going from 7-10am.
  • A new half-hour political show "WGN-TV Political Report" will air Sunday mornings at 9am.
  • Because of the new 10pm, Backstory with Larry Potash & Chicago's Best will be moved to 10:30pm, on Saturdays & Sundays respectively.

Edited by CircleSeven

24 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:
  • The station will debut a new half-hour 10pm news on weekends.

I saw a crawl during Chicago's Best last weekend, telling of the time change, so this seemed to be coming. They appear to be taking the KTLA route, keeping Instant Replay at 9:40 (between newscasts), and not expanding it and pitting it against The Final Word on WFLD. Also, no mention of S.E.E. Chicago on that list, so that might be gone.

Edited by 24994J

4 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Also, according to my program guide, they're going to end the Saturday 5pm news at 5:30pm instead of 6pm. That's only showing for this Saturday. The Saturday after that appears normal for now. Hopefully this is just a one-off occurrence.

I looked further into their guide, and looked at Saturday the 18th, and it list WGN Weekend Evening News an hour.

I'm hoping that's an error on their part on the 11th, because they're showing that same Living Healthy New Year episode at 4:30pm. Why reair it at 5:30pm?

I also see on the guide a show Sunday at 9am called "Chicago Pulse". Was that the original proposed name of new political show? IMO, that would be a better name than the generic "Political Report".

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I looked further into their guide, and looked at Saturday the 18th, and it list WGN Weekend Evening News an hour.

I'm hoping that's an error on their part on the 11th, because they're showing that same Living Healthy New Year episode at 4:30pm. Why reair it at 5:30pm?

I also see on the guide a show Sunday at 9am called "Chicago Pulse". Was that the original proposed name of new political show? IMO, that would be a better name than the generic "Political Report".

That is an error.

And the press release officially says... WGN-TV Political Report. The listings got it wrong. Actually sounds kinda lame, IMO.

https://wgntv.com/2020/01/08/chicagos-very-own-wgn-tv-adds-more-local-news-and-programming-starting-january-11/

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

That is an error.

And the press release officially says... WGN-TV Political Report. The listings got it wrong. Actually sounds kinda lame, IMO.

I'm fully aware of what the press release says, as I first posted it last night. I was just mentioning what the guide said, and only questioned if that was the proposed name of the show before the release.

11 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Dang, I was hoping for more midday weekend news...something either at 12pm or 4pm. Nobody in the market is doing that.

We'll I'm glad they didn't. In my view, having a weekend midday show is kind of silly, given the lack of viewership in that time of day (I don't see how WSB, WSOC or WPVI (Sundays) can do it). And I don't think the weekend morning crew would want to stay on a couple of hours just to do another broadcast very few people are going to watch.

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, my apologies if it has...

Nexstar is launching a new 3-hour national news program on WGN America, based out of WGN-TV.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/wgn-america-enters-cable-tv-news-arena-promising-no-opinions-11579093200?shareToken=stbc2f2e8fd7eb4719a4170c050900687f&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

I would think their biggest challenges are the fact that WGN America has gone 6 years without any content that draws an audience, so they need a lot of advertising to get eyeballs back on their network, and also it feels like a hindrance to only do nighttime news with no daytime component to draw the daytime audience and cover breaking news.

Here's hoping they can overcome these hurdles with time.

2 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

I would think their biggest challenges are the fact that WGN America has gone 6 years without any content that draws an audience, so they need a lot of advertising to get eyeballs back on their network, and also it feels like a hindrance to only do nighttime news with no daytime component to draw the daytime audience and cover breaking news.

I suppose if they promote News Nation and WGN America on all of Nexstar's local stations properly, they might have a shot at surviving. 

3 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

6? Wasn't it less than three years ago that they canceled all their Critically-Acclaimed Originals ahead of the Sinclair takeover that wasn't?

I can't imagine Nexstar has any interest in prestige television...

3 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

I will say it's bold, and certainly a better line of thinking than sticking with the old-line thinking of going with an every night 8/7 o'clock movie...because repeats of sitcoms and shows found everywhere else certainly isn't working at all. It also feels like a run-up to attempt to compete with Newsy, with more of a local bent than Newsy's national focus, and hopefully is an antidote to the RightThisMinute and DailyBlast-esque 'let's wasted a minute describing viral video' direction these national shows from big station groups have seemed to take.

18 minutes ago, channel2 said:

6? Wasn't it less than three years ago that they canceled all their Critically-Acclaimed Originals ahead of the Sinclair takeover that wasn't?

I can't imagine Nexstar has any interest in prestige television...

This is the same Nexstar that took one week to cancel Hollywood Today Live after they got Media General, so it's on-point. Hubbing it to WGN rather than KTLA also feels like another move to assure the 'Chicago media is self-destructing and in Big Private Equity!' worriers that they still find brand value in the Second City (though they just cancelled a content deal with Crain's Chicago Business for daring to speculate they'd sell WGN Radio, so double-edged sword).

There is no slowing down with WGN announcements in the new year...

https://www.robertfeder.com/2020/01/16/wgn-launch-half-hour-sports-show-1030-weeknights/

So does this mean that Dan Roan will work Monday-Friday instead of Sunday-Thursday like he's been doing for the past several decades? Will Instant replay be officially handed over to Lauren Magiera?

1 hour ago, Spring Rubber said:

So does this mean that Dan Roan will work Monday-Friday instead of Sunday-Thursday like he's been doing for the past several decades? Will Instant replay be officially handed over to Lauren Magiera?

Lauren does Fridays, and isn't in promos, so I'd imagine she'd join Jarrett for the Friday edition, or he'd handle it, solo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...