Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Follow up from above, as the season (and the station's time with the Cubs) is about to end.

I'm legitmally sad about this.

You're talking about one of baseball's most legendary teams with a rich history and such a vaulable W.S. victory in 2016 with IMO, one of America's best television stations. Its sad that this 72-year partnership is ending for a new network that many fans will have a hard time getting and that may not succeed that well.

45 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Sports telecasts on WGN may not be gone for good after all. Perry Sook says in this interview that's he's making negotiations with the Cubs, Sox, Blackhawks, and Bulls.

It also looks like Sook wants to keep WGN 720 and to have more overlap between both stations.

I'm not holding my breath, but I do find it interesting that he's even addressing it.

46 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Sports telecasts on WGN may not be gone for good after all. Perry Sook says in this interview that's he's making negotiations with the Cubs, Sox, Blackhawks, and Bulls.

It also looks like Sook wants to keep WGN 720 and to have more overlap between both stations.

Seems like a bit of a long shot, but Nexstar does have the scale and presence in most of the desired markets outside of Chicago to make a good deal.

53 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

As much as I'd like that to be the case, I'm not optimistic. I don't see NBC (Sox/Bulls/Blackhawks) or Sinclair (Cubs) blinking on their "exclusive home" claims, at least for the 2020 season.

Just look at how stubborn SportsNet LA has been after all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Uncle Perry also said that if someone was willing to give him an offer he wouldn't refuse, he would sell WGN Radio and WGN America in a hot second, since it's a non-core asset for him. That's why he kept Compton in to run those assets. So if it does get sold, Sook wouldn't have to deal with him after that. I strongly don't think he'll keep WGNA & 720 in long haul. I also don't think he'll keep ownership of the diginets (Antenna TV & This TV) long-term either. He has long said that he's not interested in anything national. He's only for local. And despite some stations dropping the channel (or are in the process of doing so), I wish Weigel would repurchase This TV. 

In regards to airing a fraction of local games over-the-air, I wouldn't say Sook can't ink a deal. And I know it'll have a drawback for some folks who don't have cable and rely on watching the games OTA. But I don't think that would be enough to bring back some games to regular TV. And I believe we have pretty strong cable rate in this market. You know, strange things have happen. But I'm with most of you. After next week, I don't think we'll see another local game OTA for the forseeable future. 

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 4:21 PM, okiechi said:

As much as I'd like that to be the case, I'm not optimistic. I don't see NBC (Sox/Bulls/Blackhawks) or Sinclair (Cubs) blinking on their "exclusive home" claims, at least for the 2020 season.

Just look at how stubborn SportsNet LA has been after all.

SportNetLA has made agreements with KTLA to simulcast it's coverage of a handful of Dodgers games over the last few seasons, with the most recent agreement coming in August.

https://ktla.com/2019/08/02/dodgers-on-ktla-5-more-games-to-air-on-channel-5-this-summer-2/

5 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Tributes galore last night. Here's that full vid.

Video courtesy of Scott Allen Brown from YT.

WGN just knows how to do amazing things and this was not only amazing, but touching, really sweet and a tear-jerker. You can't help but feel bad for WGN losing out on the Cubs.

And now, this network takes over (my first time looking at the network's logo)...

Related image

On 9/29/2019 at 10:52 AM, CubsFan79 said:

As CUBS fan for 40 years, It's too bad Marquee could not simulcast 40 games with WGN TV. Somewhere JACK, ARNIE, and HARRY are turning over in their graves. Of course out of state CUBS fans have been without WGN for 6 years.  Sad .

Nice tribute to WGN sports. With great CUBS moments with Jack Brickhouse, Harry Caray, Dewayne Statts, Chip Caray, Steve Stone, Len Casper and JD.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 24994J said:

And it begins. The Nexstar influence is starting to seep in...

Oh fuck... but to be fair and to their defense, it looks like WGN is trying to do it their way. As you see, the font is different than Nexstar's standard.