Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

19 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Not surprised she's going through this but surprised that many more haven't admitted this yet because this job would suck the fun out of everybody when all your covering is hard news and crime.

My guess is that others have found (safe) ways to cope with the stress, etc.. of the job. While I don't know her situation, it may be best for Raymond to step away for her own well-being. Her blog post is very troubling.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Man Of The People is donezo. Too bad, it wasn't a bad show.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/07/03/robservations-wgn-pulls-pat-tomasulos-man-people-lineup/

Did they wrap production way in advance of the cancellation? Is that how they were able to reclaim the set for CLTV? Or were they still filming Man of the People up until this past week, I wonder?

As plausible as that sounds, the new episodes sure seem current and topical. Is it possible that CLTV just vacates the studio for that one timeslot, once a week? That said, I don't know exactly when MOTP records and CLTV is live.

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

As plausible as that sounds, the new episodes sure seem current and topical. Is it possible that CLTV just vacates the studio for that one timeslot, once a week? That said, I don't know exactly when MOTP records and CLTV is live.

According to the show's ticket website, it tapes on Fridays from 1-3pm.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 24994J said:

Amy Rutledge left her afternoon traffic position on Monday, likely to join WCIU's 'The Jam' morning show.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/08/21/robservations-abc-7-promotes-windy-city-producer-programming-chief/#more-22729

That shocked me, to say the least. I would have to assume that WGN will eliminate the afternoon traffic position, right? I don't think they had an afternoon fill-in for her whenever she was off or when she would fill-in for Sarah in the mornings.

One would think the formal position would go away, unless they brought Erin Mendez McElroy Ivory back into the role, seeing as she's already a regular contributor in that time slot. That said, while they work the same shift, management doesn't seem to want Erin and Demetrius as a part of a set anchor team.

Wow, I didn't realize she was that far along. They just announced that Lourdes Duarte is going on maternity leave after today. She's due in about a week/week and a half or so.

They actually did a whole montage about Lourdes's career at WGN, narrated by Ben Bradley. Few anchors in TV are lucky enough to get that special of a maternity farewell!

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Every. Body. Gets. A. Show.

Up next: "Legends and Legacies with Steve Sanders".

In all seriousness, the more original programming, the better. They need something to fill in those slots when sports telecasts disappear for good after baseball season ends.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 3

They've launched a sort of "Last hurrah" advertising campaign for the "WGN September to remember", advertising the last month of Cubs/Sox telecasts, the Monday Night Football simulcast on September 23rd, the WGN Morning News primetime special, and the Friends 25th anniversary celebration.

There's not going to be much notable content on WGN after this September aside from their news product, if Nexstar doesn't tear it apart, that is.

3 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Up next: "Legends and Legacies with Steve Sanders".

Dude, you don't even know how down I'd be for a show like that, especially with a musical slant, knowing Steve's own talents.

So where does that leave us?

• Chicago's Best (weekly)
  • SEE Chicago (weekly)
  • Man of the People (former weekly)
  • Backstory (weekly, 4-episode seasons)
  • Destination: Outdoors (one-off special, for now)
  • Morning News Primetime Specials (once or twice a year)
  • Family Classics (occasionally/holidays)

Anything I'm missing?

46 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Dude, you don't even know how down I'd be for a show like that, especially with a musical slant, knowing Steve's own talents.

• SEE Chicago (weekly)

Anything I'm missing?

The Thanksgiving Day Parade? Do they still do that?

11 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

The Thanksgiving Day Parade? Do they still do that?

Yes. Also shown on WGNA, too. 

59 minutes ago, 24994J said:

• SEE Chicago (weekly)

Anything I'm missing?

Living Healthy Chicago and Weekend Workbench.

Frankly, I'm surprised they're settling on one person, as there's not typically any pattern of who fills in on weeknights. The male anchor spot is fairly predictable, but I've seen no fewer than 7 different women occupy the 9 o'clock chair this summer (Materre, Duarte, Bair, Rutledge, Bange, Francisco, Gaynor Hall), and that's not even counting Julie.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so the station's CS department was on a posting spree today. In addition to this September programming promo (and other videos on the account), we have this promo for the 10pm news. It looks nothing like anything else they run, which I like, but I wonder if there's any deeper motive to the random addition of Julie Unruh in the final seconds, sandwiched right between Roan and Skilling. Is her long-term fill-in status at 4 launching her to a more permanent position?

Edited by 24994J

I remember back when the 10pm news first launched, Julie would have a lot of long-form pieces on the 10pm news. The anchors would meet her over in the interview area to introduce and conclude her segments. I have no idea if that's still been in practice for the past few years, but maybe they are planning on making her a formal addition to the newscast.

• Like 1