Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

And I would figure Sinclair's response would be, "And there's the door."

Honestly, I used to think "Maybe they won't mess with the morning show," but given what's happening now as well as what Sinclair has done with anchors in the past, I would not be one bit surprised if they started getting rid of some of the Morning Show hosts, or trying to lower their pay by a ton to the point that they just quit. This would also cause a big loss in viewership, which is something Sinclair has also proven that they don't care about.

• Like 1

Now you know for sure, management and others are truly afraid for their jobs in the event of a Sinclair takeover. I and a couple of others I've seen have noticed that a few stories they've run (this one which aired on the Evening News, for instance, which a few people on Twitter even called out as feeling more biased towards being pro-armed teachers), as well as this one instance on Facebook where they titled a video with a quote that went something like "This is clearly a good example of a good guy with an AR-15 stopping a bad guy with a knife," lean a little more to the right and felt kind of Fox News-ish or Sinclair-ish. Would not surprise me at all if it was an effort by some to curry favor with the future bosses if they're afraid of losing their jobs.

So WGN is already part of a vast right wing conspiracy now? C'mon. Heaven forbid they run any story which showcases a different viewpoint, since people will flip out on social media. Sinclair's executive board is not watching WGN's every move. They do not own the station.

Of course WGN management is going to try to downplay the impending merger. While I agree with the sentiment of Hoover's tweet, and I could not see any anchor at WGN reading such a canned and inauthentic statement, it's probably not the best idea to talk about future bosses like that in public. I think Paul Rennie, Jen Lyons, etc. are trying to protect their people by telling them to keep their (legitimate) concerns on the DL. At least don't tweet them out. On the other hand, if they start to embrace Sinclair with open arms, Twitter will demand an immediate boycott of the station and all of its advertisers. So the play is to stay quiet and continue with business as usual.

I've seen a lot of calls to preemptively boycott WGN because of this deal, because people have read some hot takes about Sinclair online, but are unwilling to wait and see how much their news product actually changes, and make their own judgement. I might be the only one, but I'm starting to get tired of the constant speculation and fear-mongering regarding this deal. Feder brings it up every other week it seems, but really only offers "what-ifs" and ominous predictions. Is that really helpful?

• Like 4

I might be the only one, but I'm starting to get tired of the constant speculation and fear-mongering regarding this deal. Feder brings it up every other week it seems, but really only offers "what-ifs" and ominous predictions. Is that really helpful?

You're not alone about getting tired of this whole Sinclair ordeal. I think we have reached the point that we have to let things play out and stop the daily 'Sinclair is evil' debate. It's not like we're going to forget that Sinclair has done/will do some shady stuff nor are they going to suddenly stop doing said shady stuff. You're right about Feder too. He was at it again today.

I'm not sure what (if anything) WGN management said to Hoover, but his tweet remains up/visible. I'm guessing the reprimand was that he doesn't make any further tweets, comments and the like in the future.

• Like 1

Who is fillin in for morgan now that she is off to get married

I don't know for a fact, but it'll likely a rotation of the CLTV guys, Hamernik, Janssen, and McGill. Paul might come in early a few times, too.

Joe Donlon did a Facebook Live with Ben and Lourdes, and some interesting stuff came out. He would've debuted sooner, but there were some contractual hiccups in Portland. Also, we all gave a second glance to the fact that both he and Suppelsa are Marquette grads, and close in age. It turns out that they do know each other quite well, and Mark got the ball rolling on his hiring. Joe called Mark to congratulate him on his retirement, and Mark mentioned that they were still looking for a replacement, so it all came together by chance. Also confirmed is his shift. Nothing changes, so he and Micah will still helm the 5, 6, 9 and 10.

Also, Donlon speaks fluent Spanish, and wants in on one of the telenovelas. They also schooled him on 'Skilling Time', and how valuable it is.

• Like 1

Joe Donlon did a Facebook Live with Ben and Lourdes, and some interesting stuff came out. He would've debuted sooner, but there were some contractual hiccups in Portland. Also, we all gave a second glance to the fact that both he and Suppelsa are Marquette grads, and close in age. It turns out that they do know each other quite well, and Mark got the ball rolling on his hiring. Joe called Mark to congratulate him on his retirement, and Mark mentioned that they were still looking for a replacement, so it all came together by chance. Also confirmed is his shift. Nothing changes, so he and Micah will still helm the 5, 6, 9 and 10.

Also, Donlon speaks fluent Spanish, and wants in on one of the telenovelas. They also schooled him on 'Skilling Time', and how valuable it is.

Really? I would like to hear him in Spanish then.

• Like 2

Two notes for WGN Sports...

1) Apparently "Tuesday Night Baseball" is a new ad campaign. They apparently have Cubs or White Sox games scheduled for most Tuesdays throughout the season.

IMG_20180417_210430160.thumb.jpg.ec405b2a5abdc7deef74a6a802a18f2e.jpg

2) They have made some improvements to the graphics package and have bolded the statistics to help them stand out better.

IMG_20180417_211455380_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpg.1f5ed28629cb2525d525239fde9cca9e.jpg

Is it in the overscan area, or is it really up against the top of the screen? I'm at a restaurant with 2 different TVs. It's up against the edge on one, and half cut off on the other. They should've stuck with the 3rd version of it (the 1st recoloring).

• Like 1

Is it in the overscan area, or is it really up against the top of the screen? In at a restaurant with 2 different TVs. It's up against the edge on one, and half cut off on the other. They should've stuck with the 3rd version of it (the 1st recoloring).

Agreed. This one seems like a bad idea.