Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

I'm not too surprised by this. I don't think Tom likes anchoring (he would rather be out in the field) and Ben is B team material (C team imo, but..). Larry and Dan were not moving off of mornings for obvious reasons. Steve wasn't going back to evenings and the weekend guys were staying on the weekends.

I thought Tom Negovan to be ambitious enough to go after the primary anchor chair. Not that being a senior reporter is a bad thing.

Just a thought, but I'm wondering if Larry ever had a conversation with their news director to discuss the possibilities of replacing Suppelsa...

Interesting and surprising for sure. I live in Southern California, but travel to PDX frequently. Joe is an icon at KGW. I always thought of him as solid. Curious to see how he fits in with the team at WGN. I know WGN looks at the long term, so I am sure he will be fine.

Agree with the previous comments on Ben Bradley being B team material. Good for the early afternoon, but not sure I would bet the house on him. Not taking away from his talent, but I don't see that "it" factor in him just yet. Nice to see him at 9 showing his true personality though

I'm inclined to agree about Ben, too, but I still think it's silly that he and Lourdes only carry an hour when everyone else at the station anchors for at least 2 hours, or the evening team that's on for 3 and a half.

I always felt it would make sense to put Ben and Lourdes at 6pm as well. That way, you're alternating and keeping it fresh.

• Like 4

I'm inclined to agree about Ben, too, but I still think it's silly that he and Lourdes only carry an hour when everyone else at the station anchors for at least 2 hours, or the evening team that's on for 3 and a half.

Would make sense for Ben to to add 11-1 once Steve retires. I don’t see Dina retiring anytime soon though.

I don’t get why they don’t split the morning show in half either, 4-7 and 7-10.

And I will echo Ben not being A team material (or B team for that matter).

I thought Tom Negovan to be ambitious enough to go after the primary anchor chair. Not that being a senior reporter is a bad thing.

Just a thought, but I'm wondering if Larry ever had a conversation with their news director to discuss the possibilities of replacing Suppelsa...

I'm sure Tom is ambitious, but who really wants to be tied to the anchor desk all day? Rafer (WFLD) only anchors Friday and Saturday and unlike his predecessor, Scott, has never worked the Live Desk @ 5P and spends most of his time out in the field.

From Tom's bio- 'When Mark’s busy, you’ll find Tom filling in on WGN Evening News and WGN News at Nine and Ten alongside Micah Materre. But truth be told, he’d rather be out covering a story.' That pretty much speaks for itself.

I'm guessing Larry was asked/considered, but probably likes the shift he has. In by 4A out by like 10-11A isn't a bad deal. Get to spend a great deal of time/one's day with the family.

• Like 3

I think it's interesting that in the press release, they say that he "will join the evening/late news team of Micah Materre, Ben Bradley and Lourdes Duarte." They make no mention of the specific newscasts he will be anchoring. Maybe they want to try pairing him with both Lourdes and Micah?

http://wgntv.com/2018/02/13/veteran-anchor-joe-donlon-to-join-wgn-news-as-evening-anchor-starting-mid-april/

Definitely a surprise. It seemed like he was a KGW lifer. He and Laural Porter have been paired together for more than 20 years and were a really great anchor team. It's hard to imagine KGW nightside without him, though I'm sure they'll manage.

This interview from the Oregonian sheds some more light on it. Turns out his adult children all eventually moved to Chicago and the midwest. Not everything boils down to "Tegnitis," whatever that's supposed to mean.

http://www.oregonlive.com/tv/2018/02/portland_kgw-tv_news_anchor_jo.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If WGN is ever going to debut new sports graphics and update the logo, it's not going to be this preseason. They're still on the old look for today's season debut featuring the Cubs and White Sox.

Sidenote: they're using the CHW and CHC abbreviations on the scoreboard, and that looks so weird for a local telecast.

Update: they restored the team names later in the broadcast.

• Like 1

If WGN is ever going to debut new sports graphics and update the logo, it's not going to be this preseason. They're still on the old look for today's season debut featuring the Cubs and White Sox.

Sidenote: they're using the CHW and CHC abbreviations on the scoreboard, and that looks so weird for a local telecast.

The sports grgaohics get me every baseball season. Hate them with a passion.

Everyone rejoice! I had a fear that they'd go too simplistic with the logo, just dropping the '9' and replacing 'news' with 'sports', like they did with the old look. Glad they played around with it, a little.

1407702828_bandicam2018-03-0217-08-57-462.thumb.png.358881a0e9f2df3066f29b68516b26dc.png

821264919_bandicam2018-03-0217-13-10-109.thumb.png.4fd14898e4bf70c79789295f560b3e3f.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
I miss Suppelsa on election night. But Ben Bradley has been outstanding in the anchor chair tonight.

He did 7+ hours straight tonight. He held his own quite well. Even though he's not getting the lead chair, and I agree with that move, he has a lot of that conversational style that shows glimmers of Magers and Suppelsa.

• Like 2