Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

I was never a fan of Mark Suppelsa and Ben Bradley waltzing in and occupying the anchor desk while Steve Sanders and Tom Negovan received demotions. WGN, to me, seems anchor heavy. I like the team of Tom Negovan and Micah Materre. Perhaps keep Ben on as an achor at 4, in house reporter at 5&6, in the field at 9 and 10, and as a backup anchor for Tom’s Negovan.

Negovan would be my pick as successor, but I wish they'd give Ben and Lourdes the 6 o'clock hour. I don't care for the evening news falling under a singular brand, and there's no reason why that competent team only has an hour while every other anchor duo sits for at least 2 per day.

• Like 4

Steve's in a neck and neck race with Dick Johnson for oldest anchors remaining. As nice as it would be, I can't imagine him being a viable long-term option. If they want a lead anchor on at 4/5, 6, 9, and 10, then they should install whoever as anchor of the midday show and one of the early evening shifts (whenever Steve retires). That would cut a little fat, without forcing anyone out.

• Like 2

Negovan would be my pick as successor, but I wish they'd give Ben and Lourdes the 6 o'clock hour. I don't care for the evening news falling under a singular brand, and there's no reason why that competent team only has an hour while every other anchor duo sits for at least 2 per day.

Agreed, Tom Negovan should be on the anchor desk at WGN. Ben and Lourdes should also get 6:00 along with their 4:00 show.

Also, this has probably been said in this thread, but 4:00 is NOT "evening".

Anyone know how Dan and Lauren rated while filling in for Larry and Robin in the mornings? I'm kinda hoping down the road WGN would give the morning B team 4-7 AM and give Larry and Robin 7-10.

• Like 1

Or why not go back to the way it was pre-Suppelsa and put Sanders back at 9pm (and 5-7pm) and Negovan back at midday?

I think the easy answer is that Steve had a good run (15 yrs.) as principal anchor and it's time for someone else/new to sit in the big chair. Without question, it should be Negovan. He and Micah have pretty good chemistry and he has earned the spot over everyone else there.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

WGN has found its replacement for Mark Suppelsa.... and he’s from Portland. Whoa.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2018/02/12/robservations-wgn-finds-suppelsas-replacement-portland/

KGW’s Joe Donlon will reportedly join the station this spring, if all goes as planned. I really thought they were going to promote from within...

• Like 1

WGN has found its replacement for Mark Suppelsa.... and he’s from Portland. Whoa.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2018/02/12/robservations-wgn-finds-suppelsas-replacement-portland/

KGW’s Joe Donlon will reportedly join the station this spring, if all goes as planned. I really thought they were going to promote from within...

What the heck...definitely didn't see this coming.

Color me shocked. The first thing I do when new folks are hired in this town is Google them, and check out a few videos. I can establish that WGN is getting a very solid, seasoned pro with a good sense of humor and personality. What's coming as a surprise, though, is just how seasoned he is. Through a little browsing on LinkedIn, Tom Negovan is about 50, and Ben is in his early 40s. Joe Donlon is (~)55, pretty much the same age as the guy he's replacing. I'm not going to judge the hire on age, if the individual is right for the role, but with age comes an elevated salary, something I was not expecting in this move.

• Like 2

I'm not too surprised by this. I don't think Tom likes anchoring (he would rather be out in the field) and Ben is B team material (C team imo, but..). Larry and Dan were not moving off of mornings for obvious reasons. Steve wasn't going back to evenings and the weekend guys were staying on the weekends.

• Like 1