Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

Will they still have separate on-air staff for news and traffic from 4-6, or will they just have 1 person like before?

AM or PM? I don't anticipate changes in the evening, and the morning is just in transition. Whoever will do traffic will still be on 4 to 9, Dan Ponce is anchoring with various fill-ins, and Morgan will fill the void left my Demetrius. Larry, Robin, Paul and Pat will continue from 6-10.

It's definitely a big month of changes at the ol' number 9.

No kidding, I'm starting to wonder now if their theme music will even change with this, too. They're ditching their 2014 graphics even though they're only about three years old, with that plus the new set and new logo, why not go all out?

• Like 1

This was her submission to Best Weathercaster for IBA... that and she drones on a bit too long for my liking on a morning show... morning weather shouldn't take 4+ minutes...

It's Rockford, they have a two hour morning show. Weather sells and it's not like there's piles of content in big markets let alone one the size of Rockford. Also, it was roughly 3 minutes and forty seconds. :D

Nothing new for the sports division at all. They're even still using the old logo. Looks kinda lame using the old logo when the station is trying to sell this new identity so hard.

Guess they're waiting for hockey season to overhaul the sports stuff.

It is kind of dumb to stick the new logo everywhere and then hold off on debuting it for WGN Sports. I don't see why they'd need to wait for hockey season to do that, tonight would have been fine! The website and app also doesn't have the new logo yet, surprisingly. I figured just changing the logo on there would have been one of the easier things, all that's needed is just a swap of images.

• Like 2

It's Rockford, they have a two hour morning show. Weather sells and it's not like there's piles of content in big markets let alone one the size of Rockford. Also, it was roughly 3 minutes and forty seconds. :D

Did you catch the error in her report?

It found its way online!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=1yEA4zMU0QQ;m=3;s=14

In case you missed it, there was a lot of shouting and very loud swearing and a pissed off Patrick Elwood, so obviously they were off to a great start earlier with their new graphics and set! I wondered for a second why the camera looked so zoomed in on him during the Breaking News segment.

I was thinking they would have just cut it off right away, too. I didn't think we'd make it all the way to them shouting "motherfuckers." As soon as you hear anyone yelling and they're not going away after already being told to stop, it's pretty much an un-salvageable report at that point. I was getting worried that we were about to see it kick off on the air between him, those ladies, and the cops, because it seemed volatile enough.

WMAQ WLS and WGN are all in tornado coverage right now as the NWS just released a warning at 1030. WBBM screwed their viewers and went off at 10:34 and their running crawls and i think Mark at WFLD left too early in his defense nothing was happening at 10pm and they are running crawls as well

WGN's off the hook. Some dumbass just yelled FHRITP behind Stacey Baca on 7.

No 1am rebroadcast tonight.

That's still a thing? Wow, we're on a roll. All I'm waiting for now is someone to go flashing on the Fox 32 plaza when they do an outdoor segment on GDC.

I swear to god, how that gross POS thing still exists? Oh yeah, douchebaggery rules. Newsflash: IT'S. NOT. FUNNY. EVER. I just feel like reporters have to prepare to counterattack perps who do this. Like throw a dart at them or shoot them bullets. Stations gotta gather for plans to stop this nonsense. Youtube clips of these 'incidents' encourage more of this douchebaggery.

• Like 2

I swear to god, how that gross POS thing still exists? Oh yeah, douchebaggery rules. Newsflash: IT'S. NOT. FUNNY. EVER. I just feel like reporters have to prepare to counterattack perps who do this. Like throw a dart at them or shoot them bullets. Stations gotta gather for plans to stop this nonsense. Youtube clips of these 'incidents' encourage more of this douchebaggery.

I would argue that reporters should determine what's the best course of action is. My guess is that these people were acting like fools before Patrick went live, so he probably should have said 'hey guys..hold off coming to me, etc...until I can get to a safer position.' While I'm not excusing the actions of these idiots, this situation, like many others; can go sideways in a heartbeat, so there's no reason to put oneself in harms way when you don't have to.

That said, there are times when things are outside your control, so it becomes a process of assessing the odds that something could happen and your surrounding environment.

• Like 1

Anyone else notice how glitchy WGN has been since their upgrade? Slow to play videos and leaving the speaker hanging, wrong videos being played, wrong text in the L3 popping up, logo bug disappeared at one point, some of the animations aren't smooth and are a little slow, etc. I think I've seen more than I've ever seen in a day. I guess they've still got a few kinks to work out of their system with the technical upgrades, but it's led to a few awkward moments.