Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

Dan and Lourdes are anchoring the big show together on this their final day in the morning as a team (I wouldn't expect Lourdes to be in the morning on Monday, at least).

Have replacements been named? If they have been, I've missed something.

• Like 2

I just checked it out for giggles, and my DVR is listing the new line-up as the 'WGN Early Evening News' at 4, with the 5 to 7 block remaining as the uninterrupted 'WGN Evening News'. Whether or not that branding on the first hour actually makes it to air remains to be seen.

I also noticed that the 4-6am hours are being listed as "WGN Early Morning News" starting next week...

• Like 1

Robin and Erin are off today. Lourdes is back in the afternoons. What does that mean? Yep, Ana Belaval gets her shot at anchoring the 6-10am show today!

Also, did anybody watch the 4-6am show? Did Dan anchor solo? Did they get somebody else on there? Seems like a lot of people are off right now, so I'm not sure if anything's permanent or not.

• Like 5

Robin and Erin are off today. Lourdes is back in the afternoons. What does that mean? Yep, Ana Belaval gets her shot at anchoring the 6-10am show today!

Also, did anybody watch the 4-6am show? Did Dan anchor solo? Did they get somebody else on there? Seems like a lot of people are off right now, so I'm not sure if anything's permanent or not.

Lourdes hinted on Friday that this morning was her last shift. She and Ben are doing a radio hit or 2 this morning, though, which made get unavailable.

When I was speculating about the reason why they didn't debut the schedule change today, I think the answer is because of the number of people off today. Robin was off in the morning; Mark is off in the evening (continuing from his time off last week). Maybe Mark is coming back tomorrow so that they can have the full evening team together for the 6pm news tomorrow.

According to their daily morning news preview on Facebook, Ana will be anchoring through Wednesday. Whether or not Erin returns before then (and Sarah can move back to evenings) is unknown.

• Like 1

I think the only difference from the previous 4-6pm news with Mark and Micah is that the 6pm news now has a quick-hit headlines piece at the start of the newscast where they recap the top 6 stories or whatever. I was watching while working, so I wasn't necessarily fully paying attention.

Also of note is that they don't have proper rejoin opens for this newscast, so they're rejoining with the generic "This is Chicago's Very Own WGN News" openers that you'd typically see on a late night newscast after sports coverage. The openers use the 9-10pm music with the nighttime skyline and graphics.

Because today's Cubs WGN game was postponed till tomorrow, when the White Sox have a game scheduled on WGN, the Cubs game will be handed over to CSN since WGN no longer has an alternative outlet (like WCIU or WPWR in the past) for a second game to be aired.

http://wgntv.com/2017/04/05/cubs-and-white-sox-wednesday-games-both-postponed-by-rain/

With CSN taking over the rights to tomorrow's game, does this mean that CSN will have to give WGN a game later in the year? Or does CSN just pay WGN a negotiated amount of $$$ for the game and call it a day?

Because today's Cubs WGN game was postponed till tomorrow, when the White Sox have a game scheduled on WGN, the Cubs game will be handed over to CSN since WGN no longer has an alternative outlet (like WCIU or WPWR in the past) for a second game to be aired.

http://wgntv.com/2017/04/05/cubs-and-white-sox-wednesday-games-both-postponed-by-rain/

With CSN taking over the rights to tomorrow's game, does this mean that CSN will have to give WGN a game later in the year? Or does CSN just pay WGN a negotiated amount of $$$ for the game and call it a day?

This happened once after September 1st last year, and WGN never traded for another game. While it's early in the season now, I'll guess they'll just figure out the money side.

I think the only difference from the previous 4-6pm news with Mark and Micah is that the 6pm news now has a quick-hit headlines piece at the start of the newscast where they recap the top 6 stories or whatever. I was watching while working, so I wasn't necessarily fully paying attention.

Also of note is that they don't have proper rejoin opens for this newscast, so they're rejoining with the generic "This is Chicago's Very Own WGN News" openers that you'd typically see on a late night newscast after sports coverage. The openers use the 9-10pm music with the nighttime skyline and graphics.

I too have only watched a few minutes, but they do start the 6pm with a talent open announcing the WGN Evening News at 6 that uses the same evening music (although it's a slightly longer cut because there are now 5 people). Also, from the little bit that I've seen of the first hour, the new team seems pretty strong, and I'm sure Skilling doesn't mind that Demetrius has taken over the outdoor weather hit at 4.

[MEDIA=twitter]849729544978284544[/MEDIA]

• Like 4

In the silliest decision ever, they did a 4-minute newscast with Ben, Lourdes, and Demetrius after the Sox game from 4:53 PM to 4:57 PM, and now they're going to hand it over to Mark, Micah, and Tom for the 5pm news.

I don't understand it.

EDIT: Also, I imagine this problem is going to creep up a lot during the baseball season. My proposed solution would be to just automatically give the 5pm hour to Ben, Lourdes, and Demetrius whenever there's a 1:05 or 1:20 pm baseball game, because these games all but guarantee that their 4pm newscast will be eaten up. But I don't know if their contracts allow for Ben, Lourdes, and Demetrius to do the 5pm. I just think it would be a better solution than to have them do these silly 5-20 minute newscasts whenever there's afternoon baseball.

• Like 1

In the silliest decision ever, they did a 4-minute newscast with Ben, Lourdes, and Demetrius after the Sox game from 4:53 PM to 4:57 PM, and now they're going to hand it over to Mark, Micah, and Tom for the 5pm news.

I don't understand it.

EDIT: Also, I imagine this problem is going to creep up a lot during the baseball season. My proposed solution would be to just automatically give the 5pm hour to Ben, Lourdes, and Demetrius whenever there's a 1:05 or 1:20 pm baseball game, because that all but guarantees that their 4pm newscast will be eaten up. But I don't know if their contracts allow for Ben, Lourdes, and Demetrius to do the 5pm. I just think it would be a better solution than to have them do these silly 5-20 minute newscasts whenever there's afternoon baseball.

What did they cover? ABC 7 did 4 o'clock show shorter than that last summer after a Cubs game. I recorded it, because it was so hard to believe.

• 3:37 - 0:07 (open) - 0:05 (a laugh over Judy saying good morning) - 0:08 (announcing that the game was over) - 1:37 (postgame/highlights) - 1:09 (weather) - 0:31 (close and 5pm preview) = 0:00 (actual news)

It was hilarious because Kathy and Judy (anchoring that day) knew how ridiculous it was.

• Like 5

We've got another short one. Ben and Lourdes are doing what should amount to an 8-minute newscast from 4:49 PM to 4:57 PM. They led off with Demetrius with weather as the top story.

EDIT: Uhh... is WGN planning on launching a new station logo or something? During that short 4pm news, they aired a segment opener for an "Update", and the segment opener featured a new WGN logo that appeared to be inspired by this classic logo: http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/WGN-TV?file=TW_Thumbnail_Best_400x400.jpg

The logo they showed a similar style of 9, but it had the filler inside the 9 removed, the text "WGN" to the left of the 9, and the tagline "Chicago's Very Own" above the "WGN9".

The graphics on the opener were the same as the current news graphics, just with a different logo. The opener was pulled off the screen with a quick hard cut as to indicate we weren't supposed to see it.

We've got another short one. Ben and Lourdes are doing what should amount to an 8-minute newscast from 4:49 PM to 4:57 PM. They led off with Demetrius with weather as the top story.

EDIT: Uhh... is WGN planning on launching a new station logo or something? During that short 4pm news, they aired a segment opener for an "Update", and the segment opener featured a new WGN logo that appeared to be inspired by this classic logo: http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/WGN-TV?file=TW_Thumbnail_Best_400x400.jpg

The logo they showed a similar style of 9, but it had the filler inside the 9 removed, the text "WGN" to the left of the 9, and the tagline "Chicago's Very Own" above the "WGN9".

The graphics on the opener were the same as the current news graphics, just with a different logo. The opener was pulled off the screen with a quick hard cut as to indicate we weren't supposed to see it.

No picture? Is the WGN lettering the same?

Here's what I don't understand: why would they use a new logo with these same 2014 graphics? Based on the style of logo they used, it doesn't really match these graphics at all. Either they were just testing the logo inside of this graphics package to see how it would look, or maybe the logo itself isn't even final and is just concept art that they were experimenting with.

• 2 weeks later...
My stupid DVR was still buffering ESPN instead of WGN because I just got home. I'm so pissed I wasn't buffering WGN. The WGN font was definitely different. It was more "retro" looking like the classic 9 logo.

Did the WGN font in that logo resemble the font used for WGN America?

WGN-America.jpg

If it looked anything like that, then maybe they're considering going for more consistency with the "WGN" brand, considering WGN Radio uses a similar font. I really hope to see them change the logo and use the classic style 9, I think it's about time for a logo upgrade and it'd be a more recognizable and remarkable one I think. And I remember when WGN's non-news Twitter account used that retro "9" as their icon, so maybe it's something that they've been wanting to do for a while.