Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

With the new 6 o'clock hour, WGN will have more than doubled their weekday news output compared to this time a decade ago.

2007951150_newsexpansion.thumb.jpg.27908e0939731fe0e40825a7fa6e5e41.jpg

(Note: WFLD canceled their 10pm news since, and WLS and WBBM each canceled and reintroduced a newscast in the decade span.)

• Like 1

This new team should be good; it's interesting how there'll be some symmetry between the morning and evening shows with their A and B teams. I do wish they'd try to make the evening hours a little more distinctive from each other. A team change will definitely help break it up, but it'd be nice if they tried out some different formats, like more of a talk/interview show for an hour.

...And this sets up Ben to succeed Steve when he retires, right? That would be the only logical reason why he's only getting an hour while Suppelsa's still carrying 3.5.

I would think so, but then I don't know what they'd do with Lourdes and Dina. It does seem odd that Mark and Micah are doing 3.5 hours and Ben and Lourdes only do one. Also, I wonder if Negovan will continue to be the backup for Suppelsa, or if that will be Ben now.

Would WGN just put Erin back as anchor from 4-6, and have Konrad do weather from 4-10? (Unless he tells management to 'stick it')

I think they'll promote one of the Mikes, Hamernik or Janssen for weather. But I wouldn't be surprised if they picked up a female meteorologist sometime soon, for early morning or weekend evening. The anchor job is a toss up - could be Erin, Nancy Loo, Tonya Francisco, or Cortney Hall.

I'm going to predict either Gaynor or Cortney Hall to get the 4-6 AM anchor slot. Gaynor has been used as a fill-in anchor quite a bit as of late, and Cortney has been a 9 AM newsreader for a while now.

As for weather during the 4-6 AM news, maybe it'll be someone from CLTV like Tim McGill on a semi-permanent basis. I don't picture Paul starting at 4 AM, and I don't picture them hiring someone new, at least not right away.

They should've added Dina to the 4pm and kept Lourdes on the 4am. I wonder if there's any chance they move Dina to the 4am shift.

The line-up should be as such:

"Evening Team": 5pm-6pm, 6pm-7pm, 9pm-10pm, 10pm-10:30pm -- 3.5 hours

"Afternoon Team": 11am-1pm, 4pm-5pm -- 3 hours

"Late Morning Team": 7am-10am -- 3 hours

"Early Morning Team": 4am-7am -- 3 hours

Never understood why Larry and Robin do 4 hours instead of 3 hours. Makes more sense for each team to do 3 hours.

Also, under above scenario, Steve and Ben would split the male anchor duties for the "afternoon team".

• Like 1

Never understood why Larry and Robin do 4 hours instead of 3 hours. Makes more sense for each team to do 3 hours.

Simply put, the A-team gets better ratings than the B-team. Of course, that was before they installed a solid, popular team at those hours. However, since they're "breaking up the band", there's no reason to change those hourly shifts.

• Like 2

That's a damn shame. I guess no one should be surprised by this outcome, but this is pitiful nevertheless. Sad. #TooMuchNews

Couldn't agree more. They might as well shut down CLTV and reinvest those resources/money into WGN.

• Like 1

I'm going to predict either Gaynor or Cortney Hall to get the 4-6 AM anchor slot. Gaynor has been used as a fill-in anchor quite a bit as of late, and Cortney has been a 9 AM newsreader for a while now.

As for weather during the 4-6 AM news, maybe it'll be someone from CLTV like Tim McGill on a semi-permanent basis. I don't picture Paul starting at 4 AM, and I don't picture them hiring someone new, at least not right away.

Was there something about Erin Ivory that didn't work out in terms of her being the 4-6 AM anchor? I thought she got bumped back to traffic only because they needed to find a place for Lourdes.

• Like 1

Was there something about Erin Ivory that didn't work out in terms of her being the 4-6 AM anchor? I thought she got bumped back to traffic only because they needed to find a place for Lourdes.

I believe the fact she wasn't particularly good as a news anchor played a part in the decision. I doubt they will give her another chance, but you never know.

• Like 1

This is a first. WGN Morning News swept ABC 7 in total viewers from start to finish.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/03/20/official-wgn-rises-shines-top-morning/

Kudos to Channel 9 for their overall morning win. Congrats! Well deserved.

Keep doing what you're doing and don't stop. And hope that more "wins" in the AM will come your way.

This is a first. WGN Morning News swept ABC 7 in total viewers from start to finish.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/03/20/official-wgn-rises-shines-top-morning/

Congrats to WGN! This is really well deserved. More wins for WGN should be coming. They have a really well polished news product and mornings bring an example to what WGN can do to win. Of course they won't dethrone WLS, but any wins for WGN is great news, considering that most can't watch WBBM or WFLD. Good for the 'ol No. 9!

• Like 2

So when does WLS start going into panic mode?

They shouldn't. The hour that 9 has just started winning (5am), is about to see an anchor and meteorologist leave that slot. Can WGN maintain the trend? Yes, but it wouldn't be crazy if those same people who just switched over left if they don't like Duarte and Ivory's replacements.

This is why I wish WGN didn't stop simulcasting on WGN America.

national advertisers are more interested in reruns they think will get a bigger national audience than targeting snowbirds in Florida and AZ, and local Chicago advertisers won't pay more to reach those, they still stream the news

• Like 2

So when does WLS start going into panic mode?

I think this is just an anomaly and there really isn't a reason for WLS to panic. I would wait at least a year to see where things are. I believe overall viewership for everyone is either flat or down which could be why WGN was able to get a win. And as 24994J suggested, who knows what may happen once the replacements are selected.

• Like 1

Do we know why they're launching the new evening news schedule on Tuesday April 4th instead of Monday April 3rd? I'm guessing it's just so that they can have rehearsals on Monday? Unless there's something special about that Tuesday that I'm not noticing. There's no sports on that Monday or anything.

Actually, that Tuesday will be a non-normal schedule, as there's a late Blackhawks game at 8 pm, meaning that Mark and Micah will do the 5-7pm news, followed by the late night news whenever the game wraps up. After the news concludes at 7 pm, they're going to be a half hour of Two and a Half Men, followed by the Blackhawks Extra pregame show at 7:30 PM.

Maybe that's their strategy; launching the new evening newscast on a night that has very little syndicated programming and a LOT of live news and sports programming.

I just checked it out for giggles, and my DVR is listing the new line-up as the 'WGN Early Evening News' at 4, with the 5 to 7 block remaining as the uninterrupted 'WGN Evening News'. Whether or not that branding on the first hour actually makes it to air remains to be seen.

Also, just poking around the station's website, and there appears to be a new reporter. Meghan Dwyer of WITI just moved down the lakeshore at the beginning of this month (though her bio says March 2016).

http://wgntv.com/author/meghan-dwyer/

https://twitter.com/meghananndwyer

She ruffled a few feathers a couple of years ago for an acceptance speech at the regional Emmys... http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/public-schools-suck-says-reporter-who-won-emmy-for-public-school-report/134747