Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

I'd rather they go on with the old name without meaning or connection to the new programming than come up with some shitty consultant-driven name like "Freeform".

Does anyone(gn heads) know weather WGN was ever allowed to play with the "Worlds Greatest Network" moniker or branding? Ya, ya I know it's not a real network...but was it ever attempted?

They've never changed the meaning of the calls, instead relying on the 'Chicago's Very Own' moniker, which has returned to prominence since returning to independent status.

Thank you,

That is what I wanted to know. Sometime stations get stupid and "try" strange stuff out.

Looks like we've seen the last of the late night WGN News after 9pm sporting events. The Bulls have a 9pm game on Tuesday, and they'll be doing the newscast at 8pm, with no news following the game. I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise, as this is what WGN would do in the past on Saturdays when there was no CW programming to get in the way.

Looks like we've seen the last of the late night WGN News after 9pm sporting events. The Bulls have a 9pm game on Tuesday, and they'll be doing the newscast at 8pm, with no news following the game. I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise, as this is what WGN would do in the past on Saturdays when there was no CW programming to get in the way.

An 8 o'clock game in Colorado might be the only case from here on because 7's too soon after the Evening News, and there's already competition there...even if it could possibly outdraw Two and a Half Men and the opposition.

• Like 1

why haven't they yet?

They could incoporate (or likely thought about incorporating) 'Tribune' into the channel's name [i.e.... TMN (Tribune Media Network) ]; but it could easily get lost in the shuffle with other channels that start with a 'T' like TNT, TBS, TruTV, etc..

My guess is that WGN America is unique enough that they may feel it's not worth changing (at least for now).

I posted this the shout box, but thought I'd drop it here, too. Someone unearthed this old newspaper ad for 'WGN WorldTravel Services, Inc.' This article from 2012 also references it and the other entities under the 'WGN Continental Broadcasting Company' (later 'Tribune Broadcasting').

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154274177818305

• Like 1

So Dan and Lourdes are hosting the Thanksgiving Parade this year... interesting choice. I think they'll be better than Mark and Micah, who aren't really cut out for this kind of thing. Still think Robin and Paul were the best parade team.

I wasn't pleased with Mark & Micah during the coverage of the Cubs World Series parade, so I can't blame WGN for the decision.

• Like 1

So Dan and Lourdes are hosting the Thanksgiving Parade this year... interesting choice. I think they'll be better than Mark and Micah, who aren't really cut out for this kind of thing. Still think Robin and Paul were the best parade team.

Dan and Lourdes are the Morning News' B-team. And I really didn't like the Mark-Micah team for the parade, either.

One question I have is why do they use different mic flags for the thanksgiving parade?

WGN wouldn't use their own mic flags because they don't produce/control the parade. The Chicago Festival Association runs it with WGN/WGN America serving as the TV partner/sponsor only.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Feder has a story about Tahman's promotion now. There's also a bit about BEN Bradley (no relation), who is likely to join WGN for a weekday anchor position in the new year. It'll be interesting to see where he fits in... the heir apparent to Steve Sanders? Or could WGN have some bigger things planned (more news?)

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/12/17/tahman-bradley-promises-effort-wgn-weekend-anchor/

• Like 1

Feder has a story about Tahman's promotion now. There's also a bit about BEN Bradley (no relation), who is likely to join WGN for a weekday anchor position in the new year. It'll be interesting to see where he fits in... the heir apparent to Steve Sanders? Or could WGN have some bigger things planned (more news?)

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/12/17/tahman-bradley-promises-effort-wgn-weekend-anchor/

Not more news.... please no more news.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...