Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

The parade's WGN coverage is getting a commercial-free WGN America simulcast tomorrow; I assume someone on the local side had some sway in finally getting some time from the America folks.

They didn't air the Blackhacks parade on WGNA, won't there be some complaints for the regular viewers of the reruns of Matlock, American's Funniest Home Videos or whatever regularly scheduled reruns?

The parade's WGN coverage is getting a commercial-free WGN America simulcast tomorrow; I assume someone on the local side had some sway in finally getting some time from the America folks.

I only think it's appropriate. Without WGN being a superstation, the Cubs wouldn't be as cemented in the national psyche as they are. There's an understanding that there are many fans nationwide who used to watch the Cubs regularly and would want to see the parade.

On the other hand, the Blackhawks got little national exposure (and weren't on WGN from 1975 to 2008), weren't good for most of the time prior to 2007-08, and when they did get on WGN, the NHL limited the broadcasts to within the TV market. Kind of a different ball of wax.

I only think it's appropriate. Without WGN being a superstation, the Cubs wouldn't be as cemented in the national psyche as they are. There's an understanding that there are many fans nationwide who used to watch the Cubs regularly and would want to see the parade.

On the other hand, the Blackhawks got little national exposure (and weren't on WGN from 1975 to 2008), weren't good for most of the time prior to 2007-08, and when they did get on WGN, the NHL limited the broadcasts to within the TV market. Kind of a different ball of wax.

Half of the Hawks games weren't even on local TV before then, anyway.

As for the parade, it looks like MLB Network is carrying the WGN feed, so national viewers have 2 ways to see Chicago's Very Own coverage.

There are too many clashing elements to this coverage and they end up talking over each other. Furthermore, Micah Materre is continually demonstrating a lack of knowledge of what she's talking about, misidentifying trophies and hats left and right.

• Like 1

There are too many clashing elements to this coverage and they end up talking over each other. Furthermore, Micah Materre is continually demonstrating a lack of knowledge of what she's talking about, misidentifying trophies and hats left and right.

I didn't really care for any of WGN's coverage throughout the Cubs playoff/WS run. They tend to act like they own all things Cubs and instead of letting moments (for example) play out, they often find a way mess things up. From the little bit of coverage I did see today (I was at work), Micah may have been bad, but Allison Rosati was the absolute worse. While stuff like this is highly subjective, WFLD had the best overall coverage I think.

I didn't really care for any of WGN's coverage throughout the Cubs playoff/WS run. They tend to act like they own all things Cubs and instead of letting moments (for example) play out, they often find a way mess things up. From the little bit of coverage I did see today (I was at work), Micah may have been bad, but Allison Rosati was the absolute worse. While stuff like this is highly subjective, WFLD had the best overall coverage I think.

Yeah, WFLD has really hit some kind of groove lately. WGN's coverage before 10 with Larry and Robin was so mich better, and Tomasulo has been their star, as Roan has become so bored on the job and the new lady is so sickeningly sweet that she's unwatchable, too. WLS has suprised me with their coverage. For one, they were the only one on the five stations with NO TICKER AT ALL, and their limited use of lower thirds was appreciated. Also, while I miss Magers, who thrived in extended coverage, the Krashesky/Brock team is much better balanced and even more established, though Jim Rose was kinda off alongside them, especially when calling out haters on Twitter during the parade.

WGN's coverage before 10 with Larry and Robin was so mich better, and Tomasulo has been their star, as Roan has become so bored on the job and the new lady is so sickeningly sweet that she's unwatchable, too.

I miss Rich King way more than I thought I would. If they're going to try to make a nightly sports talk show a thing (beyond Cubs Nightly), it really should be hosted by Tomasulo, even if that means splitting up the morning A-team. Mix in some of his comedy bits with interviews/game highlights...might be an interesting way to build on the success of the morning show.

I miss Rich King way more than I thought I would. If they're going to try to make a nightly sports talk show a thing (beyond Cubs Nightly), it really should be hosted by Tomasulo, even if that means splitting up the morning A-team. Mix in some of his comedy bits with interviews/game highlights...might be an interesting way to build on the success of the morning show.

They did get Rich to come back Wednesday night, so that's something.

• Like 1

WGN's coverage before 10 with Larry and Robin was so much better, and Tomasulo has been their star...

Tomasulo is okay, but he tends go overboard. There's a balance between being both a professional and a sports fan and he still needs to figure that out.

Plus, he lacks the overall sports knowledge/ personal experience that is often interesting to hear about during coverage like this (Who knew Jim Williams (WBBM) worked at Wrigley as a kid?, etc...). He's fine for what he does on the WGN morning zoo, but that's about it.

• Like 1

Even with sub-par coverage, WGN came out on top on Friday, winning the in households and demo viewers.

WGN – 5.3/2.5

WLS – 5.0/1.3

WFLD – 3.5/1.8

WMAQ – 3.1/1.3

WBBM – 1.9/0.6

=658,000 Total/262,500 Demo (Likely better than normal midday numbers.)

Number 3 in total and 2 in the demo is arguably a victory for Fox 32, and I'm sure ABC 7 is satisfied with being a close overall second (and the clear leader in non-demo viewers, which technically is a win), but I'd imagine the NBC 5 bosses are far from thrilled with their finish.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wgn-tops-for-cubs-rally-ratings/181387

Even with sub-par coverage, WGN came out on top on Friday, winning the in households and demo viewers.

WGN – 5.3/2.5

WLS – 5.0/1.3

WFLD – 3.5/1.8

WMAQ – 3.1/1.3

WBBM – 1.9/0.6

Number 3 in total and 2 in the demo is arguably a victory for Fox 32, and I'm sure ABC 7 is satisfied with being a close overall second (and the clear leader in non-demo viewers, which technically is a win), but I'd imagine the NBC 5 bosses are far from thrilled with their finish.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wgn-tops-for-cubs-rally-ratings/181387

So WGN and the Cubs were meant to be together.