Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

Rich King has announced his retirement from WGN after 25 years, and nearly a half century in the city, effective June 15th.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/01/17/sportscaster-rich-king-announces-retirement/

I guess I'm not surprised. I never really realized that he was coming up on his retirement, but I guess I should've been it coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Today was National Weatherperson's Day, and certified demigod Tom Skilling made his first-ever appearance on WGN Morning News. It was everything I could ever hope for.

Today was National Weatherperson's Day, and certified demigod Tom Skilling made his first-ever appearance on WGN Morning News. It was everything I could ever hope for.

God. WGN Morning News is GOLD. Question, WGN Morning News vs. KTLA Morning News... Which is better?

Ivory OWNED it!!! "She was a five, but then she got haboobs done!"

• Like 1

Well this is interesting...

http://www.revision21vis.com/works/broadcast-news-set-WGN-Chicago

Could it be?

As much as I love this concept, let's see what Weeters has to say. From the WLS set thread...

When a station is going to buy a new set, or graphics for that matter, several companies will pitch designs. Companies that don't get selected for the final design are really free to do whatever they want with their pitched designs (Case in point: AccuWeather Network and Renderon). I don't believe there is a company out there that would release images of an ongoing project, especially in an industry where stations will go out of their way to make sure employees don't leak photos of sets being constructed up to threatening to terminate the employment of anyone who does.

The images on [inset company]'s website mark them as "conceptual designs" and I would expect they are nothing more than that.

That said, someone else's leaked concept tells me they've entertained offers. I'm excited to see what's in-store come March, May, September, November, or anywhere in-between.

• Like 1

More renders are on the designer's site, where it's listed as "Concept - Unbuilt"

http://www.provost-studio.com/wgn

Notice the date on one of them: March 15, 2015. This was probably part of the pitch for the Chicago Magazine/Red Eye Magazine webcast set the same designer delivered to Tribune a few months later. If you look closely, the giant street map on the WGN renderings appears to be similar to the one on the webcast set.

More renders are on the designer's site, where it's listed as "Concept - Unbuilt"

http://www.provost-studio.com/wgn

Notice the date on one of them: March 15, 2015. This was probably part of the pitch for the Chicago Magazine/Red Eye Magazine webcast set the same designer delivered to Tribune a few months later. If you look closely, the giant street map on the WGN renderings appears to be similar to the one on the webcast set.

Looks amazing, if WGN goes with this, they will certainly have the best studio in the market.

Looks amazing, if WGN goes with this, they will certainly have the best studio in the market.

It's extremely unlikely they would use this design. Again, designers generally don't release stuff like this unless the project is finished or cancelled.

With a school-issued subscription to the Chicago newspapers' online archives and some free time, I've been going through 23 years of Robert Feder columns, covering most of his three decades at the Sun-Times. It's not as obsessive and time-consuming as it sounds, but it's been really informative to see how Chicago television evolved from 1986 to 2009. I'm currently in 1994 and just stumbled on this ironic note from WGN. A new news program was being marketed as an alternative to the freewheeling, irreverent antics of Bob Sirott's 'Fox Thing in the Morning'. It's amazing how things change, and who came out on top. From July 5th...

"With a Sept. 6 start date, WGN-Channel 9's new morning newscast is shaping up as a straightforward hard-news product.

"It won't be a goofy, gooey kind of show," said Channel 9 news director Jennifer Schulze. "In the WGN tradition, it will be very local, very solid and it will give Chicagoans information to get their day going."

At the outset, the weekday newscast will air from 7 to 8 a.m. Within six months, Schulze said, it may expand to two hours. Eventually, a third hour also may be added.

The new newscast replaces "The Bozo Show," which shifts to Sunday mornings this fall.

Channel 9 noon news anchor Dave Eckert, a recent hire from KMBC-TV in Kansas City, will double as morning news anchor alongside a female partner to be named by the end of July.

Also hired for the new newscast was meteorologist Paul Huttner from WCCO-TV in Minneapolis. He previously worked for the north suburban-based weather forecasting firm of Murray & Trettel Inc.

Joining Channel 9 as morning news executive producer is Ken Ericson, a Chicago native now working at WPXI-TV in Pittsburgh.

Meanwhile, Larry Potash, a weekend news anchor and reporter at KOTV-TV in Tulsa, Okla., has been hired as a general assignment reporter."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WGN won the 9pm ratings battle as usual...

10pm Households

9 4.3 / 7 SHR

32 2.1 / 3 SHR

10pm A25-54

9 1.7

32 1.1

10pm A18-49

9 1.3

32 0.9

10pm A18-34

9 0.6

32 0.6

They were also the #1 A25-54 in morning news at 5am, 6am, 7am (tied with 7), 9am and the 6-9am block.

6am A25-54

9 News 2.3

5 News 1.5

7 News 1.3

32 News 0.4

2 News 0.3

• Like 1

Holy crap...

[MEDIA=twitter]707665528890990593[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]707672196626432000[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]707630612169949185[/MEDIA]

It's going viral amongst all the major networks, though they don't know who it is...yet.

• Like 2