Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

WGN has dumped out of the Cubs game in favor of severe weather coverage, and people are going nuts on Twitter.

They are now showing it via a split screen. Tom and crew with audio on the left with a fully produced Cubs game on the right relegated to only the video feed. This is kinda cool, as I've never seen this before.

They are now showing it via a split screen. Tom and crew with audio on the left with a fully produced Cubs game on the right relegated to only the video feed. This is kinda cool, as I've never seen this before.

This is actually very impressive. Kudos to WGN.

Four of the 5 stations are in continuing coverage, but frequent commercial breaks tell me that WFLD is screwing the pooch, again.

WGN has dumped out of the Cubs game in favor of severe weather coverage, and people are going nuts on Twitter.

Cheryl Scott on 7 already eluded to this, telling viewers that lives are on the line, and this isn't the time to bitch about a TV show.

I'm paraphrasing, of course. :D

I don't know how bad the reaction was for breaking in to the Cubbies game, but God forbid WRAL break into Bold & The Beautiful to cover a tornado warning. You'd think Greg Fishel slaughtered the family dog on the air with how shitty people get about the coverage.

Here are just a few gems (I removed the names):

"Wow. WGN decides to stay with weather coverage over Cubs-Dodgers. That's allowed?"

"This isn't the weather channel, just leave the game on"

"it's not all about you wgn. show us the game"

"this is inexcusable. The majority of your viewership isn't affected by the weather you're showing."

"You care about ratings and weather is a huge rating boost @WGNTV. Put the @Cubs game back on please"

"wgn can't have it both ways. If they wanna have Cubs baseball they can't do this s**t. If they wanna be news, fine be news"

"Ok, so the tornado is not in my area so why are you interrupting the game right now?"

I figure I'll just mention it here...WGN and CBS2 ended coverage at 1am, Fox was done WEEEEEELLLLLLL before midnight. Mark Suppelsa reiterated their reasoning for dumping the Cubs once more before they closed.

ABC 7 went off at 1:30, followed soon after by NBC5. Both will be back at 4am.

Me all of the stations especially 5,7,and 9 did well with their coverage. Last Night. Watching between 5 and 9. Can not pick up 2 on my TV.

The cubs game were also seen on WAND 17.2 in central Illinois,but because WGN went wall to wall, WAND replaced it with radar, and a few people had complained on WAND of not showing the Cubs game, even thou it was not in their control since they were simulcasting from WGN.

Here's the three post that was posted on their Facebook(No names)

Ok...enough...send us back to the Cub game on COZI...repeating the weather is overrated!

If it's the end of the world, at least let us watch the Cubs!

Need to do better when you carry Cubs. Don't need continuous radar when storms are west of Jacksonville.

WAND Response:

WGN was in Wall to Wall Coverage and we don't have any control over them. Since the game was not on we went to radar and our master control operator waited to see if they would come back and they finally did for the final out. Sorry they we couldn't see the game.

I don't understand why they can't move the pitch count over to the right a bit; there's actually quite a bit of room to do that.

It looks like people certainly do read these forums, as today I noticed that for the Sox game WGN had the pitch count moved all the way to the right of the of its box, basically opening up the whole space and letting it breathe just a bit. It doesn't look cluttered anymore.

It looks like people certainly do read these forums, as today I noticed that for the Sox game WGN had the pitch count moved all the way to the right of the of its box, basically opening up the whole space and letting it breathe just a bit. It doesn't look cluttered anymore.

They absolutely do... You just gotta hope the right person gets the message.

• 2 weeks later...

Y'all might want to check in on the news at nine tonight. Steve Sanders was off at midday, filling in right now at 4 and 5, so I'd assume he'll pop up on his old stomping grounds later on. I forget, has he anchored the 9 o'clock show since he left? I know he's done a few reports in-studio.

Y'all might want to check in on the news at nine tonight. Steve Sanders was off at midday, filling in right now at 4 and 5, so I'd assume he'll pop up on his old stomping grounds later on. I forget, has he anchored the 9 o'clock show since he left? I know he's done a few reports in-studio.

I don't think he has. Steve used to do the midday show for a long time before leaving for the news at 9, but then returned to the midday show once Mark Supplesa came to WGN TV.

Yep, it's Steve at 9. I don't think he's done the news at nine since Mark took over, or at least I haven't seen it. By the way, Bob Jordan was on with Micah all of last week, and that was the first time I'd seen him anchor the weekday evening shows in a very long time.