Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

The morning crew did their own spoof of the TODAY commercial where all the anchors walk through the city. It was to celebrate Illinois' new happy hour rules; it was fairly funny and pretty spot on at some points.

Does anyone know if they announced when the new sports show would debut?

June 14. https://twitter.com/marcusleshock/status/606154267989286913

I'm hoping that this is a step in the right direction for CLTV. Perhaps this show and the new graphics/set/music that rolled out a couple of months ago mean that the new management might try to make the network a relevant, or at least somewhat respectable, news outlet in Chicago. It'd be nice to scale back those extremely dull looping newscasts that are updated like twice a day, and replace them with some LIVE, co-anchored broadcasts. WGN has the talent to do that, and they could schedule these newscasts at unconventional times that wouldn't encroach on channel 9's turf. Maybe 9-11AM, 1-4PM, 6:30-9, 10-midnight. What about adding some other locally-based talk shows? There's soooo much they could do with CLTV, but I'm not holding my breath.

They should do some more educational/cultural such as cooking or something. And is it just a half hour? Cause politics tonight is at 6:30. Politics tonight should be on GN instead of two and a half men, in my opinion. They should also do Patrick Elwood and Nancy Loo on the weekend morning show, as well as expand it.

'Sports Feed' with Jarrett Payton and Josh Frydman (WGN sports producer) will debut this weekend on CLTV. The one-hour show will air Sundays through Thursdays at 6pm. Paul Lisnek's 'Politics Tonight' will shift an hour earlier to 5pm, and will retain it's 9:30pm rebroadcast.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/06/09/cltv-to-kick-off-nightly-sports-feed/

'Politics Tonight' is usually streamed, so it's possible, but I'd say no purely because of the leagues' online rules and crap.

I still don't get the lack of carriage.

FWIW, the sports segment wasn't cut out of the nine o'clock live stream tonight. I don't watch them online enough to know if that's a regular thing now.

By the way, Demetrius filled in for Skilling. Starting to wonder if his days are numbered on the 4am shift. Seems like a good arrangement would be to have him handle all of midday, and be the primary backup for Skilling on the evening and 9pm shows.

FWIW, the sports segment wasn't cut out of the nine o'clock live stream tonight. I don't watch them online enough to know if that's a regular thing now.

By the way, Demetrius filled in for Skilling. Starting to wonder if his days are numbered on the 4am shift. Seems like a good arrangement would be to have him handle all of midday, and be the primary backup for Skilling on the evening and 9pm shows.

Who would they use at 4am? Tim McGill? Potentially Mike Caplan?

WGN sure better be glad they've got Mike Janssen, who almost singlehandedly saved them from a complete disaster tonight. The tornado warning came out and Jim Ramsey was bumbling, and Mark and Micah were babbling, trying to carry the broadcast. They couldn't load any graphics, and for about fifteen minutes they only had a very wide view of the radar. Now, Mike and Jim are working together and it is so much better. Janssen has been excellent with providing storm reports, and now he's working the green screen while Jim sits at the anchor desk.

From what I saw, ABC7 was just as ill-prepared during the tornado warning.

WGN sure better be glad they've got Mike Janssen, who almost singlehandedly saved them from a complete disaster tonight. The tornado warning came out and Jim Ramsey was bumbling, and Mark and Micah were babbling, trying to carry the broadcast. They couldn't load any graphics, and for about fifteen minutes they only had a very wide view of the radar. Now, Mike and Jim are working together and it is so much better. Janssen has been excellent with providing storm reports, and now he's working the green screen while Jim sits at the anchor desk.

From what I saw, ABC7 was just as ill-prepared during the tornado warning.

Wonderful....

Janssen is in again tonight, and Jim's not. Very interesting.

If I'm not mistaken, Jim was/is sick. But this is something to keep an eye on, no doubt. Would love to see new weather people instead of just Ivory, Konrad, and Skilling (plus the occasional McGill)

What they had before was just fine where they rotated being inning, pitch speed, and pitch count. They're trying to force way too much information into a small space. The inning up/down arrows are basically overlapping the inning numbers. Here's hoping they tweak this design some more.

I can only imagine what it's going to look like when a game goes to extras. That thing being too damn small has always been its biggest problem.

Our biggest fear happened today: a White Sux game on WGN went into extras. It's so cluttered up in that box it's unreal. I don't understand why they can't move the pitch count over to the right a bit; there's actually quite a bit of room to do that. It looks like it says ^10TH6 PITCHES.