Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

Why can't GN do weather like that all the time?

It happened last week too... They have a new News Director so I would expect changes and tweeks to personel and schedules and the look and feel of the shows over the next few months. Each ND wants to put their mark on the product. Little changes like this if they stick are examples.

Wait, what would the old news director have done if Jim Ramsey is off? I thought they sometimes used a CLTV meteorologist and sometimes (albeit rarely) called in Skilling.

Probably call in a CLTV person, but I think I've seen Skilling too. I was responding to the comment about wishing it could always be done this way which gave me the impression something had been changed about the arrangement. I still would expect changes even if they are suttle.

Ummm, did they change the weather format on the Sunday 9pm show? Instead of showing the 7-Day with the rest of the weather segment as they usually do on Sunday, Mike said to stay tuned until later in the newscast for that.

Edit: Grrr, I lost focus and never noticed if they actually did the 7-Day at any point.

Hey, I just happened to flip by CLTV and I noticed that they have new graphics and a simple new logo (you can see it at CLTV.com). It's all very similar to WGN, of course. In fact, the title cards have the same look as WGN, and the backgrounds for the full screen graphics are exactly the same. The bug is a blue rectangle, the L3s are white, and the ticker is a black bar on the bottom (it's smaller than it used to be, I think.) They're also not broadcasting in front of the bland chroma key background anymore; they're using the WGN newsroom and its video wall. Overall, it's actually a clean, nice look. Like, surprisingly good.

I saw the new logo in the promos for the Banks funeral this morning. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the logo uses the same font as WGN America and the big 'W' in 720's.

UPDATE: It's not, now that I looked again.

Also, did anyone notice that WGN's lower thirds were extended left to fill the screen?

I saw the new logo in the promos for the Banks funeral this morning. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the logo uses the same font as WGN America and the big 'W' in 720's.

UPDATE: It's not, now that I looked again.

Also, did anyone notice that WGN's lower thirds were extended left to fill the screen?

Yeah, I saw the updated lower thirds online, since they remove the bug forthe video clips . It sure looks a whole lot better to not have a hole where the bug usually is on TV.

I still think the new graphics, and now-departed L3's would've looked better if they had decided to go with widescreen presentation. As it is, the news bug info is WAAAAAAY inside the safe zone, and while the skyline effect is nice, a lot of space that could be used for text is wasted.

I still think the new graphics, and now-departed L3's would've looked better if they had decided to go with widescreen presentation. As it is, the news bug info is WAAAAAAY inside the safe zone, and while the skyline effect is nice, a lot of space that could be used for text is wasted.

I couldn't agree more. The bug takes up to much room, and when it's not there and it's just a light blue that fills the void with the L3s to the right, it looks bad. It really does bug me (pun 100% intended). That's one fix that they need to change. Also, it's 2015, no reason to not fully broadcast in 16:9.

I couldn't agree more. The bug takes up to much room, and when it's not there and it's just a light blue that fills the void with the L3s to the right, it looks bad. It really does bug me (pun 100% intended). That's one fix that they need to change. Also, it's 2015, no reason to not fully broadcast in 16:9.

Is there any cost involved? Maybe they simply aren't willing to spend.

Wouldn't it be even cheaper (or no difference) since they'd only have to send every cable and satellite provider one feed instead of two? Or do the networks that do letterboxed SD downcovert to 480p themselves before sending it to the cable/satellite providers on a separate feed?

Why are they leaving the bug up during the weather? This started yesterday, but I thought it was just so they could keep their silly blizzard hashtag on the screen. However, the hashtag is gone now and the bug is staying up for the whole forecast.