Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

I agree. Tom really should be a regular anchor. He's a pro.

Well, I assume he's going back to the anchor chair once either Steve Sanders or Robert Jordan retire. Remember, he was anchor of the Noon newscast until his motorcycle accident that kept him out of work for a while in 2009, at which point they permanently slid Steve Sanders into his spot.

Well, I assume he's going back to the anchor chair once either Steve Sanders or Robert Jordan retire. Remember, he was anchor of the Noon newscast until his motorcycle accident that kept him out of work for a while in 2009, at which point they permanently slid Steve Sanders into his spot.

Ooo, you forgot already? The Suppelsa hire displaced Negovan in the summer of '08, just after the HD transition. I do think he would succeed Steve, unless they're high on Sean Lewis or open to a female duo. The only reason I could see Tom on the weekends is so he could easily remain as the main weeknight back-up and lead reporter. Unrelated, I'm a little surprised that Patrick Elwood hasn't had any desk time in the several months he's been at the station. Even if he's only part-time, he has plenty of experience.

Wow, my foggy memory told me that Steve Sanders was only doing the Evening News right after Suppelsa was hired. I was away at college from 2008-2012, so I don't exactly have that much knowledge of the Chicago market during that period. I had WGN America at college, but I don't think I ever watched the Noon news at all.

Yeah, it looks awful. I don't know why they can't just raise the regular bug and L3 to sit on top of the closings and just adjust the camera framing accordingly. ABC7 and NBC5 know how to display closings, why has 'GN always struggled with the concept?

Or they could just have all of the closings scroll in the ticker, which is what they did during the Evening News last night. I don't know why they let it look so awful for the entire show. You would think that they would have a made an adjustment when they bug is clearly covering part of the L3 graphics.

To make matters slightly worse, the temperature in the bug said "-0" for a while.

Yeah, it looks awful. I don't know why they can't just raise the regular bug and L3 to sit on top of the closings and just adjust the camera framing accordingly. ABC7 and NBC5 know how to display closings, why has 'GN always struggled with the concept?

7's ticker isn't that great either... The bottom of the bug with the website etc. Is covered up so the ticker is just a lousy overlay. If they did it right the bug would be over the ticker and shoved to the right side of the closings or the whole picture would scrunch and the full bug would move with it. Oh and all the lettering on the L3's and the bottom of the logo all run right into the gold band and are almost slightly cut off. I don't know what 5's looks like but I hope it's better than either 7 or 9.

Really strange for an otherwise good graphics package at 7.

Try this ticker:

Nothing colliding, no lousy overlay, nothing screwed up. Picture moved up, bug on the ticker, it's pretty nice. On TV the picture winds up centered better so the two graphical sidebars are an even width without that little clear sliver of a gap at the right edge.

Try this ticker:

Nothing colliding, no lousy overlay, nothing screwed up. Picture moved up, bug on the ticker, it's pretty nice. On TV the picture winds up centered better so the two graphical sidebars are an even width without that little clear sliver of a gap at the right edge.

See, I don't like that. It's better than WGN's, but it still just shrinks the video, wasting some space on the sides.

I'll address the WLS ticker in their station thread.

Now we know where Tom Skilling is. He just joined Mark, Micah, and Jim live from the Big Island of Hawaii. It was classic.

Speaking of Jim...I hope they didn't have him back out on the weather deck @ 5. He look like he was near death standing outside @ 4. We get that it's cold, so there was/is no reason to have that poor man (or anyone else) out there in this type of weather.

See, I don't like that. It's better than WGN's, but it still just shrinks the video, wasting some space on the sides.

Just for the sake of showing you the new version of the ticker that I referenced above:

They moved the bug, added their web address and shored up the sidebars so they are even now. This debuted today, it's an improvement though I don't think it's gonna sway you towards a design like that... :D

Just for the sake of showing you the new version of the ticker that I referenced above:

They moved the bug, added their web address and shored up the sidebars so they are even now. This debuted today, it's an improvement though I don't think it's gonna sway you towards a design like that... :D

See, I like that one a lot more. It's far better integrated than the previous set-up and WGN's layout.

I like the creativity of embedding the time and temp into the school closing bar. That's neat.

See, I like that one a lot more. It's far better integrated than the previous set-up and WGN's layout.

This of course can always be much much worse then anything we've discussed... Witness WDIV:

Lots of dead space, taking up 1/3rd of the screen. They had to shut it off for weather and sports because the picture doesn't adjust to fit the ticker and picture together reasonably. I saw this last night and was surprised it's that out of whack. These graphics aren't even that old.

He'll do Hawks coverage like once a year, but the Bulls is a first. Rich King was out last night with Dave Eanet filling in, so I couldn't begin to guess who'll anchor tonight- but wait, where was Pat, at the UC (I think they're at home) or at Bradley Place?