Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

• 2 weeks later...

I first noticed her on 'Midday'. I don't know if she got a welcome or anything.

Also of note: Steve Sanders came back to 'Midday' today after 4 weeks. He had his knee replaced, but as a regular viewer, I didn't hear one peep about his absence over the last month. What's interesting, though, is that over those weeks, there had to have been at least 10 different anchors and reporters fill in for him (Bob Jordan the most frequent).

It's sweeps, so it shouldn't come as a surprise she was there to intro her piece/discuss it with Mark & Micah. As far as turning around and working the AM shift, WFLD does this all the time (i.e. Corey or John sitting in at 9P and are back on GDC the next day). Granted they have little choice given their much smaller staff when compared to WGN or anyone else for that matter.

I saw a commercial this morning for the annual Thanksgiving parade on WGN, but I noticed that the coverage will be hosted by Mark and Micah this year. Robin B. and Paul Konrad have hosted it for years; I wonder why they're switching it up this year.

I saw a commercial this morning for the annual Thanksgiving parade on WGN, but I noticed that the coverage will be hosted by Mark and Micah this year. Robin B. and Paul Konrad have hosted it for years; I wonder why they're switching it up this year.

I don't know why the change was made, but Robin and Paul have been making fun of it for months. They openly state that they were fired from those duties, but whether or not the change was that harsh is unclear. It wouldn't be the first time they over-exaggerated something for comedic effect.

I don't know why the change was made, but Robin and Paul have been making fun of it for months. They openly state that they were fired from those duties, but whether or not the change was that harsh is unclear. It wouldn't be the first time they over-exaggerated something for comedic effect.

Things like that are not openly stated if you still have a job. It's comedy.

Paul Konrad's Facebook post from February:

"Was fired yesterday from WGN's Thanksgiving Day Parade Coverage. They want to go in a different direction... I tried to tell them to just match me up with a professional...not Robin Baumgarten and it will be a zillion times better. They said "No Thanks" @WGNRobin and I hold the record for most firings from Parade Coverage in Chicago Television history (3). Numbers can be misleading..."

Are you implying that they'd want to leave the station? I HIGHLY doubt it. They've got too good of a thing going there to leave.

When it comes down to it, I'm guessing that since the morning show's ratings are solidly ahead of all competitors, they're trying to introduce prospective viewers to the weeknight team of Suppelsa and Materre. Yes, they've been doing the 9 o'clock news for 5 years, but the station is putting a lot of stock in them with the expanded 'Evening News'.

Are you implying that they'd want to leave the station? I HIGHLY doubt it. They've got too good of a thing going there to leave.

When it comes down to it, I'm guessing that since the morning show's ratings are solidly ahead of all competitors, they're trying to introduce prospective viewers to the weeknight team of Suppelsa and Materre. Yes, they've been doing the 9 o'clock news for 5 years, but the station is putting a lot of stock in them with the expanded 'Evening News'.

You whiffed on my meaning 'J, I mean who wants to work thanksgiving? Somewhere else is anywhere but working on thanksgiving... Most likely sleeping In and hanging out with family and friends, going to parties etc. I know I would rather be home than working a lousy parade. Maybe they liked it but I am not implying they'd rather be somewhere else. Just because you do what you are assigned does not me you ran up to the front of the line enthusiastically to do it.

I agree it seems weird to change things after 7 years. It will be interesting to see if they stay on script or ad-lib here and there. Micah doesn't seem to have much of a friendly, upbeat 'it's a parade!!' demeanor.