YouTube goes 60fps

Jess

This. is. huge.

YouTube video can now be uploaded in 60fps format. That means the "computery" look is gone.

All of my videos will be uploaded in 720p60 from this point out.

Of course, there are caveats: You can only hit 60fps if you're viewing in 720p or 1080p. And, of course, it only works in Chrome.

This. is. huge.

YouTube video can now be uploaded in 60fps format. That means the "computery" look is gone.

All of my videos will be uploaded in 720p60 from this point out.

Of course, there are caveats: You can only hit 60fps if you're viewing in 720p or 1080p. And, of course, it only works in Chrome.

can you refresh me on this? I saw your blog featuring the WABC open from 1997 and was surprised to see how smooth the animation was. I found some VHS tapes recently and saw a WBZ Paintbox era open from Easter 1990 and almost got sea sick with the very high quality animations too. Age kinda makes the memory fuzzy which makes me see things like that in awe.

So my question is, whats 60fps when original NTSC video was at 29fps?

can you refresh me on this? I saw your blog featuring the WABC open from 1997 and was surprised to see how smooth the animation was. I found some VHS tapes recently and saw a WBZ Paintbox era open from Easter 1990 and almost got sea sick with the very high quality animations too. Age kinda makes the memory fuzzy which makes me see things like that in awe.

So my question is, whats 60fps when original NTSC video was at 29fps?

It's hard to explain, but let's use 1080i as an example. 1080i means that the picture is 1080 pixels in height, therefore giving the signal 1080 "lines".

So what's the "i" stand for? Interlaced.

With an interlaced signal, the display refreshes at 60 hertz per second, but on each refresh, only 540 lines are shown - roughly every other line. On the next refresh, the other 540 lines are shown. To the human eye, this creates the illusion of 60 frames per second.

On the other hand, there's 720p. p means "progressive", and a 720p stream IS 60 frames per second.

720p60 streams I can upload with no loss in quality now. 1080i streams are a different matter, though. Deinterlacing an interlaced signal does cause a drop in quality and doesn't really produce a completely accurate result. There are ways to do this - VLC, for example, has a YADIF filter that doubles the framerate and uses one of the fields first (which can be the "upper" or "lower" ones.)

I hope that explains it.

It's hard to explain, but let's use 1080i as an example. 1080i means that the picture is 1080 pixels in height, therefore giving the signal 1080 "lines".

So what's the "i" stand for? Interlaced.

With an interlaced signal, the display refreshes at 60 hertz per second, but on each refresh, only 540 lines are shown - roughly every other line. On the next refresh, the other 540 lines are shown. To the human eye, this creates the illusion of 60 frames per second.

On the other hand, there's 720p. p means "progressive", and a 720p stream IS 60 frames per second.

720p60 streams I can upload with no loss in quality now. 1080i streams are a different matter, though. Deinterlacing an interlaced signal does cause a drop in quality and doesn't really produce a completely accurate result. There are ways to do this - VLC, for example, has a YADIF filter that doubles the framerate and uses one of the fields first (which can be the "upper" or "lower" ones.)

I hope that explains it.

I've noticed on Rabbit Ears that the 1080i channels broadcast at 1080i59.4 so is it true that 1080i60 is just 59.4?

The true frame rate is 59.94 fps, but is rounded to 60fps in everyday discussions.

Why 59.94? It's twice 29.97...

Why 29.97? It was adjusted from 30fps when color was introduced to keep everything in sync (it's a function of the color carrier frequency: 3.579545 Mhz and the frame size multipliers). Plus being

Archived