Start of NASCAR race on ABC pre-empted by College Football game

stevieboy247

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/start-of-nascar-race-preempted-by-college-football/?v=2&s=1

A lot of NASCAR fans were very upset with ESPN regarding last night's race in Charlotte.

The race was scheduled to air on ABC, but the lengthy Baylor/TCU College Football game forced ABC to skip the first 25 laps of the race. ESPN couldn't move the race to its other networks, because of other College Football matchups, and an NBA preseason basketball game, so they moved the race to the online streaming ESPN 3, but some fans claimed that wasn't the case.

Also, to make matters worse for some fans, a handful of local ABC affiliates, including KATV in Little Rock, Arkansas., opted to air the local news instead.

Talk about a total screwjob.

I was pissed off myself, I'm no fan of college football - and they should had some continuity - but what are you gonna do, cry about it because every network had some game?

I'll admit there probably wasn't that much viewers missed - but still that's no excuse.

Thank goodness it'll be the last.

I'm glad too. ESPN's current era of NASCAR felt more of a half-assed job in production and quality as opposed to the rights back in the 1990s. How can you beat a good color announcer like the late Benny Parsons? Not to be personal, but Nicole seems to be stoned, she never seems to talk without slurring and acting so slow and her eyes not being so dazed. I guess it effects my professional respect for her. I hope that reverses with NBC. I'm betting their coverage will be much better than the first time around; and it will give viewers some choices such as what network they like the best for the season.

wait, did KATV aired the whole newscast over the whole race or did it joined the race at 7pm local time?

I forget, is Little Rock in Eastern or Central time? Either way, the race coverage was scheduled to start at 7E/6C.

All you need to know about this iteration of NASCAR on ESPN is that in 2008 they moved a Chase race from ABC to ESPN2 so they could join America's Funniest Home Videos, a show that is way past its prime (they should have cancelled it after Saget stopped hosting it) and is definition of tired schtick and irrelevance, in progress.

That f*** up cemented my opinions of this iteration of NASCAR on ESPN and ESPN as a whole.

[...] America's Funniest Home Videos, a show that is way past its prime (they should have cancelled it after Saget stopped hosting it) and is definition of tired schtick and irrelevance, in progress.

Hey.

Shut up. ;)

All you need to know about this iteration of NASCAR on ESPN is that in 2008 they moved a Chase race from ABC to ESPN2 so they could join America's Funniest Home Videos, a show that is way past its prime (they should have cancelled it after Saget stopped hosting it) and is definition of tired schtick and irrelevance, in progress.

That f*** up cemented my opinions of this iteration of NASCAR on ESPN and ESPN as a whole.

ESPN didn't move the race off of ABC to ensure AFV aired when it was supposed to, it did so to make sure Desperate Housewives could air on time.

Good riddance to ESPN after this year. They never had consistency with their broadcast team or studio team. Only FOX has had the same team for the last 13 years and that is why their NASCAR coverage is hands down the best. Hopefully NBC can do a better job than ESPN.

Good riddance to ESPN after this year. They never had consistency with their broadcast team or studio team. Only FOX has had the same team for the last 13 years and that is why their NASCAR coverage is hands down the best. Hopefully NBC can do a better job than ESPN.

Fox is not the best. They've had the same broadcast team for 13 years because that's how Fox handles their staff. The Waltrips desperately need to go, and Chris Myers can go have his stick and ball sports; he needs to stay away from NASCAR.

There hasn't been a decent NASCAR broadcast team since NBC/TNT's last deal ended in 2006. All of the current teams are terrible.

Archived