NBC 10: The New Set

Jess

And as for the windows - let's put local/national/uniqueness aside.

I wanted to see NBC 10 get those windows the minute I saw them on WNBC. They were such a brilliant and awesome set element, and very striking (especially during newscasts when the sun rises and sets!)

Looks like they kept the anchor desk. Only added new lights and monitors from what I see

They took out the light box in the corner of the desk. Used to have a peacock on in. What you didn't see was there was also a teleprompter there for anchors to use for stand ups.

They kept it or got a new one or something. During the interview segment on the 11am today (which is done from the windowside set), they still had the interim desk in there.

They rebuilt it and took it off the elevated base it was on. I guess they didn't want any more anchors falling off of it during a newscast.

I don't know much about where the station's located - are they actual windows, that look out onto the river, or is it a photo backdrop?

Those are LCD screens with clever glass and the pillars are there to disguise the bezels of the screens. They're display a live shot from a camera from Camden's Adventure Aquarium. They're actually located just outside the city and any view of the skyline they'd have is minimal at best if at all.

The station is located across the street from WPVI's studios (if that helps). The windows are not real, they're TV screens that project live images from their cameras across the city. Or they are sometimes photo backdrops.

Okay, that's what I thought ... interesting concept!

The live feed really adds something to the backdrop, especially compared to the typical static backdrops in the rest of the market.Seeing the sunset in realtime last evening was quite cool. I'm excited for the first snowfall!

From WMAQ's experience, snow looks awesome, but hopefully the camera is well-mounted, because wind-shaken footage is borderline nauseating.

Few observations of the set debut:

1. I like the screen next to the anchor desk. It's simple, yet effectively utilized. Didn't 10 have that kind of setup in their old 2000-08 set?

2. There seems to be something new about their graphics, especially with weather. Is it an upgrade or they just added some new stuff?

3. Even though the desk area seems to be smaller in the wide shots, I feel that area is much more utilized. There were "quirks" of the '08-'14 set that were not being used anymore... Remember when they debut the set, that a lot of stand-up shots would be done in the brick column in the far right of the anchor desk? Also, I never got the big NBC10 logo to the right of the desk, close to the weather center.

4. Lastly, I feel like this set exemplifies simplicity and effectivity.

I wanted to see NBC 10 get those windows the minute I saw them on WNBC. They were such a brilliant and awesome set element, and very striking (especially during newscasts when the sun rises and sets!)

I disagree. There are -huge- reflections off of that back wall. It's most noticeable when there is dark video in there. You can see the key wall, the camera peds and more in it. Terrible execution.

But, then again, this is the operation that has had an abysmal setup at their key wall for months now and they allow that to air. You shouldn't be able to see the edge of the floor, or the tape marks on it. Something that is a rather easy fix, yet no one there seems to be able to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the live aspect to the window. It adds a great element to the set and gives the newscast a nice feel. I wonder if they will expand and use other scenes such as the Ben Franklin Bridge as backdrops. Even if they don't, they're good with the skyline.

It'll be fun to see it when it snows.

Archived