NBC 10: The New Set

Jess

Figured new sets are worthy of branching off of the topic discussions. So here's WCAU's set.

Don't form an opinion yet. I like what I see, but what I see is quite close to the other O&Os - which I don't mind, since I do like what they're going for. Weather is done primarily from a virtual set and sports is done at Comcast SportsNet in South Philadelphia. We'll see a lot more tomorrow.

WCAUNewSet1.jpg

WCAUNewSet2.jpg

WCAUNewSet3.jpg

WCAUNewSet4.jpg

WCAUNewSet5.jpg

Plus, not to hijack this thread, but WPVI has figured out that they can use that fancy monitor wall to enhance news content. That, to me, would put it above 10's windows...

WPVIMonitorWallUse.jpg

Do you have a video on your YouTube? Those screengrabs aren't enough to give an opinion. Overall there was no reason to change, I loved that set. It fit the market and for 10.

As for WPVI, at least the graphics you could see in the set as opposed to the centuries old chroma keyed graphic.

Very nice. Also, in the entire time of their previous weather set, why did they never replace the "peacock over clouds" duratran with a monitor, or something? (Also Matt, condolences on your fellow Acme workers getting the boot over in Chalfont and Warminster. Acme Style wants to know if the recent Genuardi's-to-Giant ran Chalfont into the ground, since the store never seemed to be in danger; Warminster, however, was never successful, and he was told for years that the stores would be closing. Never mind, it seems you already answered those questions over on Acme Style; just make sure you take lots of photos of your store for when its time for Oxford Avenue as Big Post of the Week.)

I think NBC has pulled off the faux window really, really well. That being said, I hope it doesn't go on to anymore O&O stations. It looks nice, but I don't want it to become generic.

I doubt people know that other stations have it besides their own. I think it would become generic only to us.

I doubt people know that other stations have it besides their own. I think it would become generic only to us.

I question that.

Some comments I read on the web from people complain about how generic the newscasts on the local level, they make jabs about "eyewitness news"; complain about the generic sets, and generic talent. These people are laymen.

I'm kinda tired of reading how we see and feel different from other people. At this point I think its a moot point.

Very nice. Also, in the entire time of their previous weather set, why did they never replace the "peacock over clouds" duratran with a monitor, or something? (Also Matt, condolences on your fellow Acme workers getting the boot over in Chalfont and Warminster. Acme Style wants to know if the recent Genuardi's-to-Giant ran Chalfont into the ground, since the store never seemed to be in danger; Warminster, however, was never successful, and he was told for years that the stores would be closing. Never mind, it seems you already answered those questions over on Acme Style; just make sure you take lots of photos of your store for when its time for Oxford Avenue as Big Post of the Week.)

I'd like it if my employment stayed out of any discussions here. Our former owner had a rather draconian social networking policy and I don't have any reason to think that's changed. I try to comment semi-anonymously so that I don't lose my job.

If I worked at Fox 29, and you knew that I worked there, would you bring it up or ask about what's going on there in public? Because it's the same thing here.

Is this a completely new set or is it a big refresh of the old one? I like the window-esque backdrop, but not a fan of the gray-too much of it. I hope that other NBC O&O's don't start going with the sterile-looking sets like KNBC.

Sorry, Matt. But seriously, during the entire time they had that weather center, they never replaced that cheesy looking duratran with the "peacock over clouds" with a monitor or something. That was a missed opportunity.

it's a lightbox and the weather center has more than enough monitors.

Is this a completely new set or is it a big refresh of the old one? I like the window-esque backdrop, but not a fan of the gray-too much of it. I hope that other NBC O&O's don't start going with the sterile-looking sets like KNBC.

Major refresh from what it looks like. I really want to see the rest of it and what they incorporated the Perceptive Pixel screen into it if they have at all. I really love that they redid that wall with pointless bank of monitors and made it into a nice standup area. Looks like they may have gotten a new desk as well.

I question that.

Some comments I read on the web from people complain about how generic the newscasts on the local level, they make jabs about "eyewitness news"; complain about the generic sets, and generic talent. These people are laymen.

I'm kinda tired of reading how we see and feel different from other people. At this point I think its a moot point.

So you're telling me the average viewer knows that other NBC O&Os also have the same video walls? Doubt it. Perhaps you're on too many similar discussion sites and it seems that way to you.

And if you're tired of reading then don't read it! Just like the other day you were telling people what they were talking about was disrespectful.

Only five O&O's have this style of videowalls (WNBC, WMAQ, WRC, KNBC and WCAU).

I would like to see them use them for background graphics or over the shoulders where they could keep the live backdrop by keying translucent elements on top of them similar to WPVI keeping their blue with the Ebola graphic.

I would also like to see them maybe separate the space between the anchors to where there is one or two panels between them. That way the graphic designers could place a singular image filling the entire window similar to how MSNBC uses 3K.

Looks like they kept the anchor desk. Only added new lights and monitors from what I see

Keith Jones released this pic of him, Jackie London and Brittney Shipp on the set. This shows a little more than what was given last night with just the tight shot from the desk.

https://twitter.com/KeithJones/status/521433601553203200

I love the Windows style set on the NBC O&O stations. Hopefully WCAU will utilize their different cameras around the area as a backdrop, similar to what WRC does in DC. (I.E. tonight they could have used the camera/picture of the Linc for the 6pm News as a backdrop.) Would have been cool leading up to Sunday Night football. The set just debuted this weekend so they have ample time to utilize the "windows" fully. Although the camera from the Adventure Aquarium showcasing the Philly skyline that they're using now is fine too.

Not to derail the thread but has anyone noticed that CBS3 is back to anchoring in the newsroom this weekend, are they refreshing their set once again???

The only thing that bugs me is that it makes the set look WAY smaller than before, when it was a fairly open design. Something similar happened in 2004, when they replaced a four-panel monitor setup with a single plasma screen that could be used by one of the anchors sitting at the desk.

Still, different newscast, different tone, different everything. Interview set? They can use the 10 show studio. Sports? Handled by CSN down at the Wells Fargo Center. We don't have the likes of a Larry Mendte, who'd do stand-ups all over the place. It's a much more earthbound, deskbound program.

And speaking of which, they had some pretty good content tonight. I'm liking Randy Gyllenhaal more and more. Randy joined Keith and Jacqueline at the desk - something you very rarely see in news these days.

Archived