CBS/Beasley Station Swap in Philadelphia and Miami

Jess

I don't know why in the hell are they pushing out generic formats like AMP, wasn't that Jack experiment a success?

my market alone, got 4 stations playing the same music, one is Top 40 (WXKS), two others a Cumulus/Citadel (WXLO), CBS (WBMX) officially a "Hot AC" station and now the old Oldies 103 in the last year went AMP. I was really pissed off when they did that because they just wrecked a generation + of history on that station and it being owned by CBS wayyy before the Infinity/Group W mergers. And all 4 said stations play like Lady GoooGooo, and other "bands" and "artists" every hour.

And they wonder why people tune away from radio and wonder why radio groups are wasting time reaching an audience (like the very extreme end of the Millennial generations) who never listened or even gives a damn about radio.

If they want to get rid of music stations and move talk or all news, please do it!

FM Radio, for me, died on February 24, 2005. That was when Radio One pulled the plug on Y100, the single best programmed station in the market (well, as far as DJs went). It was the last station that, to me, felt genuine. I had nowhere to go. WMMR skewed too old. WYSP was too childish. I eventually settled on 97.5 The Hawk (WTHK) out of Trenton, then decided to get satellite radio.

I had it for two, three years. I got XM. XM was fantastic, it had a lot of channels with a lot of variety, and it introduced me to a number of great artists and songs I had no idea existed. My love of hair metal is entirely because of XM. It was, like, music heaven.

Then Sirius happened. The merger happened in July 2008.

November 12, 2008 was the date that radio, to me, ceased to exist as a medium. That was when Sirius, contrary to ALL STATEMENTS, killed XM. All XM channels were replaced with watered-down Sirius counterparts. Several genres of music disappeared entirely from the airwaves. Some stations kept their XM names, but they were horribly, horribly mutilated. It was horriffic. I was despondent for about a week. I eventually ended up cancelling the service thanks to a sneaky rate increase they pulled despite promises to the FCC to not do that. It was the only time I cursed out a customer service employee. To this day, I resent Sirius XM and all that it stands for. Sirius XM can go fuck itself.

So I drive around listening to KYW, or more often silence. Maybe a few news themes or so via the iDevice. There is no such thing as radio to me.

The point of bringing up WBEB, and maybe should've clarified myself was to see when worse to comes worse for Jerry Lee, who'd buy? He hates corporate chains (I read an article where he said that), but, a corporate chain would probably be who buys his station after he passes. I don't mean to offend anybody by bringing it up, but it is a realistic situation that'll happen eventually.

And will Beasley do with WIP and their two remaining Philly AMs? More brokered talk?

Oh, and B101? Not while Jerry Lee is still alive. I'm pretty sure I recall hearing he got a number of offers ranging in the seven digits, and he's still refused.

Just a side note, WBEB-101.1 FM is no longer branded as "B101", but rather as "More FM at 101.1".

• 2 weeks later...

Just a side note, WBEB-101.1 FM is no longer branded as "B101", but rather as "More FM at 101.1".

I know. I'm just not a fan of the "More FM" name. B101 was a very distinctive identity, and I was surprised that they dropped it quite frankly. Although they did the same thing when it was EAZY-101. Probably the best format flip ever with the exception of WDRE. Their ads had Ryan O'Neal walking around a HUGE "EAZY-101" model emphasizing beautiful music. Then, suddenly, Robert Urich appeared in ads, walking around the SAME EAZY-101 model, but announcing "They changed their music! Completely!" They actually kept the name for a few years before going to the WBEB calls.

Philadelphians are sort of picky when it comes to what they call their stations. I think the only new branding that's gotten some traction is "6ABC", though Fox 29 has stuck I think. And despite using "KYW-3" for over a decade, the KYW calls are almost universally understood to mean Newsradio, not the TV station. Hell, people still call WPSG "Philly 57".

We're just like that with names. The preferred pronunciation for the grocery chain ACME Markets is "Ack-a-me". And if you're in a bar, if you order a "Lager", you'll get a Yuengling. It's kind of like how people call soda "pop" in some areas.

I'm still surprised they still haven't found FM homes for their New York News stations; I'm thinking they could flip their one non-sports/news station (I think it's country?) into a dual simulcast of WCBS 880 and 1010 WINS; WINS would get overnights and mornings, WCBS would get the afternoon and evening.

Here's the problem, and mainly why neither station has moved to FM:

WCBS is the 50kW class A signal that covers a wide swath of land, particularly the suburbs. They have a long-form news delivery that targets mostly everyone outside of the main city.

WINS is the scrappy signal that booms into the five main boroughs. They still use the Group W-formatted tightly-paced "22 minutes" delivery that is aimed right at the city itself.

Both stations complement each other perfectly on the AM, and thus have retained a certain amount of relative independance from each other... which wasn't the case in Chicago or Los Angeles. But if either or both stations moved to FM signals... that would be a massive adjustment for both operations. Of course CBS wouldn't want to sacrifice their own flagship AM station by moving WINS to FM, and what good would come out of moving WCBS NewsRadio to FM, and leaving WINS in the lurch? And if either station wound up with an AM/FM simulcast, that would also upset this relative parity between both stations.

Right now, moving WCBS and/or WINS to FM would create far more problems than solve any. In five years, tho ... who knows. CBS could even bypass FM and move both stations to an online-only platform.

The point of bringing up WBEB, and maybe should've clarified myself was to see when worse to comes worse for Jerry Lee, who'd buy? He hates corporate chains (I read an article where he said that), but, a corporate chain would probably be who buys his station after he passes. I don't mean to offend anybody by bringing it up, but it is a realistic situation that'll happen eventually.

And will Beasley do with WIP and their two remaining Philly AMs? More brokered talk?

Jerry Lee reminds me of Robert Conrad, who stewarded all-classical WCLV-FM for over five decades. Conrad refused to sell out after all other commercial FM stations in the market got bought up by the usual. Eventually he traded WCLV's class B signal for a class A rimshot to the west of Cleveland, set up a NPO for WCLV's license (his Radio Seaway ran the station via a reverse LMA during that time) and eventually donated the station outright to the city's public radio operation.

Not suggesting that Jerry is going to donate WBEB to WHYY, but I have a hard time believing that he or his family will simply sell out. Then again, no one thought that Bernie Dittman's family would unload WABB AM/FM after he died.

• 1 month later...

The swap closed December 1. http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/136033/cbs-beasley-close-on-swap

CBS' new acquisitions in Philadelphia and Miami are already using the CBS Local platform (wow that was quick). Meanwhile WFNZ is the only station that has moved to Beasley's (horrible) website layout. The rest still use the CBS Local template, just with the bottom CBS Local copyright replaced by this image:

beasley.png

Also the sports station in Tampa Bay 98.7 is now stunting with Christmas music as "The New 98.7" as of Thursday. They are making a format change January 5th.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/136187/98-7-the-fan-tampa-drops-sports-stunting-until-new

610 is already sports/talk, they just run the syndicated CBS Sports Radio feed. If Beasley's adding local hosts, they're crazy since we already have two sports talkers in town that do reasonably well. (Greater Media has a lot invested in 97.5 so I don't think they'll flip.)

With the addition of WXTU, CBS has four stations in the top 10 - WOGL, WXTU, KYW, and WIP. That's respectable but I still think a flip to FM for KYW is the right thing to do.

610 is already sports/talk, they just run the syndicated CBS Sports Radio feed. If Beasley's adding local hosts, they're crazy since we already have two sports talkers in town that do reasonably well. (Greater Media has a lot invested in 97.5 so I don't think they'll flip.)

With the addition of WXTU, CBS has four stations in the top 10 - WOGL, WXTU, KYW, and WIP. That's respectable but I still think a flip to FM for KYW is the right thing to do.

It's pretty safe to say WRDW will be the frequency that gets cannibalized. We have plenty of CHR stations in this market and from what I've seen, WRDW was the worst performing of them all so it's a pretty safe bet we'll be hearing KYW in FM on that frequency by the time next year.

It's a safe bet that WTEL will eventually become a time-brokered programming station not unlike WWDB 860, with CBS Sports Radio acting as mere filler.

Similar thing will probably happen with WHFS 1010 in Tampa, which had a mishmash of brokered sports talk and Yahoo! Sports prior to the launch of the now-gone 98.7 The Fan (it simulcast 98.7 prior to the launch of CBS Sports Radio).

For that matter, I am surprised that CBS let the WHFS calls simply go with the 98.7/1010 combo to Beasley. They normally are very protective of heritage callsigns. Look up on how CBS has parked the callsigns of WNEW, WHFS and WKRK-FM ... and even WXRK back in 2006.

As for WRDW, I don't think a flip to KYW-FM will immediately happen, but I'd be surprised if they went through a "AMP" style reboot.

• 4 weeks later...

In December 26th, WHFS-FM "The New 98.7" began to broadcast mix of pop music. And now it began to loop Bubba the love sponge show.

http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/91108/fan-out-bubba-in-at-98-7-tampa/

Also WHFS (AM) end CBS Sports Radio affiliation and began simulcast WSBR with its business talk format. Didn't see their change on their website yet.

http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/91419/beasley-keeps-tampa-changes-coming/

In December 26th, WHFS-FM "The New 98.7" began to broadcast mix of pop music. And now it began to loop Bubba the love sponge show.

http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/91108/fan-out-bubba-in-at-98-7-tampa/

Also WHFS (AM) end CBS Sports Radio affiliation and began simulcast WSBR with its business talk format. Didn't see their change on their website yet.

http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/91419/beasley-keeps-tampa-changes-coming/

It's the new flagship for Bubba. My guess they're going for a guy-talk format similar to 102.5 the Bone and Beasley's 96 K-Rock down in Ft. Myers. Either that or go all classic rock and fill in the void that 102.5 left when it switched to guy talk. There are also rumors that the station might swap frequencies with WRBQ 104.7. If that's the case that would be tragic because 98.7's signal is garbage compared to 104.7 and would also mean the end of the legacy Q105 branding. Of course those rumors are coming from RadioInsight which can be hit or miss.

I sincerely hope Beasley knows what it's doing.

• 4 weeks later...

WHFS-FM has changed their format to Rock and also has new website. Hope new website is temporary, because they need take time to fold them into Beasley layout. Beasley also plan to changed callsign into WBRN-FM, if FCC and WBRN(AM)'s owner agree.

http://thenew987.com/

http://www.tampabay.com/features/media/bubba-the-love-sponge-returns-to-local-radio/2212475

Meanwhile in WHFS-AM, it have new website.

http://moneytalk1010.com/about-us/

WQAM's Joe Rose now appears on CBS4's Morning Show and is an additional sports guy with Kim Bokamper and Jim Berry and also Steve Goldstein.

Until they steal away the rights to the Heat or Dolphins, I don't see this helping much in defeating 790 or even 940.

WQAM is second place in the market.

His morning show is very competitive and is actually very fun.

Granted, except for the morning show, WQAM is not very competitive. The afternoon show (with Marc Hochman) is also good, just that its against the juggernaut in Dan LeBatard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Honestly, I didn't see any word for KYW getting FM signal.

Right. Sarcasm.

There were some on this board that were absolutely certain that CBS would do exactly that (flip 96.5 to simulcast KYW). They didn't. I was being juvenile in pointing that out...with a lil' bit of sass.

Archived