FCC will consider petition to ban 'Redskins'

sanewsguy

You know, I would think that the FCC would focus more on stuff more important to our country, like, I don't know, BROADBAND, but I guess the whole Redskins nonsense is clearly important enough to waste taxpayers' money on.

I guarantee you that if the FCC goes through with this ridiculous, nonsensical plan, the owner of the Redskins will sue, and the courts will soon have "regulating NFL team names" added to the long list of things the FCC doesn't have the authority to do.

The only way the Redskins ever change their name is if Daniel Snyder either sells the team or his heirs decide they don't want to keep it after he croaks. Anybody else who thinks they have the power to get Snyder to change his mind about whether the name is racist (to be clear, I'm of the opinion that it is) should stop wasting their time.

This whole Redskins issue is getting out of hand. If it was so bad, why didn't they allow the name in the first place? They've used the name since 1933. Why change it now?

Because this is 2014 and overt racism is far less acceptable now.

I do kind of wonder how a broadcast ban on the name "Redskins" would work, anyway. I know it's a tactic to make Snyder change the team's name, but if he still refuses, at least for a time, would they have to blur out "REDSKINS" wordmarks or take pains not to show them?

Ok, a little background here. First, I think it's important to make sure everyone understands this isn't something the FCC came up with. They are responding to a petition submitted to them to deem the word "Redskins" profane. Said petition was submitted by George Washington University law professor, John F. Banzhaf III in connection with WWXX-FM's license renewal. For those who don't know WWXX-FM is owned by Washington Redskins owner, Dan Snyder. Banzhaf stated his intentions to go after broadcasters and use that as another vehicle in his crusade to change the Washington Redskins nickname in a Washington Post letter to the editor last year.

That said Tom Wheeler's comment that "“We will be looking at that petition, dealing with that issue on the merits and will be responding accordingly” on Tuesday only fanned the flames. Although it's a standard boilerplate response the FCC Chairman really didn't temper that comment in any way. And, why would he? It creates another nice distraction. It diverts the media and general public away from all the other important issues in front of the FCC. It's the same crap they pulled with repealing the "Sports Blackout" rule. In the grand scheme of things they knew that removing the "Sports Blackout" rule was mostly symbolic. But, decided to make a big deal out of it knowing full well it would get great run in the press and with the general public. So, while the media/public are distracted by crap like this the FCC can pull their usual BS unchecked on more important issues.

Therefore, I'd like to propose a slogan for the FCC.

The FCC: "Please enjoy our smokescreens. But, ignore the Man behind the curtain"

Setting my personal opinion on the "Redskins" nickname debate aside. This petition has little to no merit in my eyes. And, I fully expect it to be dismissed by the FCC in due time. They are just going to let the media run with this for awhile. Don't be fooled (or, distracted) nothing is going to come from this.

Don't forget the franchise started in Boston and the owner of the team was apparently NOT of an Indian decent. He claimed to be a native american to cheat his way out not going to duty during WW I.

I wonder who the real racist is?

You're thinking of the Redskins' one time coach Lone Star Dietz.

You know, I would think that the FCC would focus more on stuff more important to our country, like, I don't know, BROADBAND, but I guess the whole Redskins nonsense is clearly important enough to waste taxpayers' money on.

I guarantee you that if the FCC goes through with this ridiculous, nonsensical plan, the owner of the Redskins will sue, and the courts will soon have "regulating NFL team names" added to the long list of things the FCC doesn't have the authority to do.

This won't go anywhere. It's a PR stunt, that's all. While the name might be considered "offensive" by some, it in no way rises to the level of "indecent" as the FCC defines it. The FCC is simply following procedure for any complaint filed with them. They'll give it about 30 seconds consideration before denying the complaint.

• 2 months later...

Archived