Non-Stop's Ultra News and Power News

channel2

The dates in the NMSA seem wonky - I haven't found anything of RTL using Power News before 1998.

I've looked into this before. I'm 99.5% positive that Power News was commissioned in 1997 by RTL, but I think Non-Stop started licensing it for US use right after it was delivered. Novocom's website also says they delivered a graphics package to RTL in 1997, but the thumbnail shows the pre-1997 graphics. There's a page further into their awfully outdated website that has a full breakdown of the package seen in that TVArk clip.

There are tracks of Power News that seem to be written to be used for the

(I think there's a term for these, but I forget what it is...) I know I've seen more videos of the 1997 look online, but they seem to have all been taken down.

The NMSA's sources are ultimately people uploading things online and word of mouth. Much like Wikipedia, it probably shouldn't be used as a reliable source. I know they have WTMJ's current male VO artist wrong (It's Kelly Pidgeon, not David Tyler).

Off topic: amazing to see how dated everything looks that Novocom did. They went from being one of the finest broadcast graphics design firms to essentially being an also ran in just a few short years.

Ultra would have to have started on WWJ in or before 1997, when 40/29 began using it. It was probably for its news magazine called InDepth Detroit, because WWJ didn't have a "normal" newscast until 2001.

That's correct. The KLTV listing is a mistake. ASCAP corroborates my belief that the package that KLTV/KTRE used was actually Non-Stop's USA News aka USA Package, one of the most elusive packages from a major news music company. Here's what I know about this package:

#1. It was probably composed in 1992. Kurt Bestor is co-credited with the package, and he left Non-Stop that year. I suspect the client station was KUSA.

#2. It was used by these stations (dates from ASCAP): KJCT (1993-95), KLTV/KTRE (1993-95), KOAM, KUSA (likely 1992-95), WAWS (1996-98), WUSA. Of these, two samples are available: KUSA's "

" and possibly KTRE 1993 in the NMSA. To me, the musical signatures in both KUSA 1995 and KTRE 1993 are similar enough to suggest two cuts of the same package.

Also... we have one YouTube clip of In Depth Detroit, from 1998.

Archived