Scripps overhauls WKBW

MidwestTV

Is LIN/MG really in that bad a situation after the WISH-CBS debacle?

LIN seems to be on a market by market basis; WWLP had to cut ties with their in-house VO they had dating back to when the Putnams owned the station. WIVB just seems to be in the worst position of everyone.

Then again, foresight is not a key trait WIVB/WNLO GM Rene LaSpina has. Witness her reign across (the) 90 at future sister WTEN in which morale went in the toilet. Of course, Young's struggles compounded that and MG is treating them well.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that's because ABC must have a deal with AccuWeather. Wasn't Good Morning America branded as AccuWeather for a while although they use WSI as their graphics system? Also after doing a quick search it appears that AccuWeather provides the content for the ABC O&O websites in addition it appears that their forecasts are branded as such in NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Raleigh.

WLS uses "First Alert" for their on-air weather branding, which came along around the same time they switched to WSI computers. Only the 7-day mentions "Powered by AccuWeather.com".

Could the third level include on-air talent - such as used by smaller or startup news operations that have yet to invest into weather? (IIRC, WFQX/WFUP in Cadillac/Traverse City/Sault Ste. Marie used AccuWeather on-air talent before being absorbed into WWTV/WWUPs news operation, among other stations).

J

Yea, that's very possible. It's been a half dozen years since I had that conversation.

WLS uses "First Alert" for their on-air weather branding, which came along around the same time they switched to WSI computers. Only the 7-day mentions "Powered by AccuWeather.com".

Yeah, it's more verbal than visual, and it also depends on the meteorologist.

• 2 weeks later...

Shame on WKBW for not streaming their live storm coverage on their site. I think they are streaming it on their StormShield app that costs money just to download.

In defense to KB, I don't think they have the necessary equipment yet to stream newscasts... at least the same equipment that all other Scripps stations use.

One has to remember just how badly Granite let everything slide throughout the years.

In defense to KB, I don't think they have the necessary equipment yet to stream newscasts... at least the same equipment that all other Scripps stations use.

One has to remember just how badly Granite let everything slide throughout the years.

I'm pretty sure they streamed at least some of their newscasts under Granite.

WEWS streams regularly, under the "Video" section of the "Sections" tab. I believe WCPO does as well.

Ok thanks, I tried that once and got some random video where a newscast should have been on WEWS's stream thing.. I'll have to try that again at some point.

"Queen Latifah," which is on WKBW at 3pm weekdays, just got cancelled by SPTS, but will air reruns through March.

That does give Scripps an opening to insert any of their own shows onto KB's schedule ahead of time. Right This Minute already is on the schedule, but it was picked up prior to the Scripps purchase.

"Queen Latifah' date='" which is on WKBW at 3pm weekdays, just got cancelled by SPTS, but will air reruns through March.

That does give Scripps an opening to insert any of their own shows onto KB's schedule ahead of time. Right This Minute already is on the schedule, but it was picked up prior to the Scripps purchase.

They're going to produce new episodes until March. Her last show will be aired in May.

It's a shame that this was her second go-around as talk show host. That also ended after two seasons (1999-2001).

Archived