Scripps overhauls WKBW

MidwestTV

Old music in opening tease? So only for one thing? So they're going to play MCTYW for the headlines and BOOM, Inergy for the full open? That would be tacky as hell. (BTW, by the time I made my last post, that was when I saw the link.)

Look at KRQE/KASA in Albuquerque. They're using a bumper cue of "This Is Your News" for the opening tease while using "CBS Enforcer" for the open. I, too can't wait for WKBW's new site to go live.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do they stream their newscasts online?

Granite was too cheap to even employ a webmaster for 'KB, let alone pony up for live streaming.

If anyone at or near the Buffalo area can pick up the station OTA and can upload video or screenshots, it would be nice...

Granite was too cheap to even employ a webmaster for 'KB, let alone pony up for live streaming.

If anyone at or near the Buffalo area can pick up the station OTA and can upload video or screenshots, it would be nice...

Is streaming really that expensive...?

Look at KRQE/KASA in Albuquerque. They're using a bumper cue of "This Is Your News" for the opening tease while using "CBS Enforcer" for the open. I, too can't wait for WKBW's new site to go live.

I remember WJLA doing similar with This is Your News and NewsOne for the early part of using the latter, right before Maureen Bunyan startrd there. It came off as a major clash.

There are many reasons why Granite will go down as one of the most incompetent broadcast chains in recent memory. Not allowing live streaming for WKBW is but one of them.

Ironic thing is that WKBW was one of the earliest stations to stream as Granite was an early adopter of streaming in the dialup era via Broadcast.com when that site was still owned by Mark Cuban. As a whole, Granite seemed merely meh until they overreached into San Francisco/Detroit and got burned doing so.

This is the only picture I have of WKBW under the new graphics so far.

e79be04ef0025a4a799a8a61881bc765.png

Why does it look like a Texas flag?

STILL better than the sh*t that WTEV and WAWS...excuse me, WJAX and WFOX came up with.

It isn't like MCTYW is completely dead; as long as WPVI exists, it never will be. I might miss it on KB, but as long as the product is better, it's not a big deal to me.

It reminds me more of those news logos Young used for a few stations for their somewhat standardized graphics (specifically WBAY and KQWC).

It's odd; I probably would have lost the box and shaded the old circle 7 to look like WXYZ's style, but still...

From Mike Nurse himself, it looks like the new website may not be ready until mid November at the latest. But I actually can understand as to why it may take that long.

As I noted earlier, they just hired WIVB's Eli George as their new webmaster digital director. And (outside of a non-compete WIVB may be throwing at him) he's taking over for a website that no one formally maintained in over two years AND has to adapt all of the content to the Scripps mainframe.

Being a webmaster myself, even working on a site with minimal maintenance over a few months can be brutal enough.

That being said, could someone at least slap the new WKBW logo on the current site?

This is the only picture I have of WKBW under the new graphics so far.

e79be04ef0025a4a799a8a61881bc765.png

Nice screenshot. Do you have the ability to record/upload video at all? Just curious...

Why does it look like a Texas flag?

Lol. I thought the same thing. Of course, looking at (onetime sister station) KTRK...

KTRK_open.png

I like what WKBW had before. It was a unique circle 7 logo.

'KB's logo from the early 80s until 2003 was a damn good logo, arguably as good as WJLA's distinctive circle 7 design.

Wkbw-tv_old_logo.gif

It didn't survive the "7 News" purge; and quite frankly, the logo they used from 2003 to yesterday was ugly in comparison, made worse with the numerous modifications to it.

MCTYW just sounds very out of place here, and I'm glad they got rid of John 'Always sounds like he's talking through his closed-teeth smile' Young.

If MCTYW was being played in an endless loop (like what KB had been doing with the opening teases previously) then it would be awkward. Here, the opening tease is just 17 seconds... the duration of the entire MCTYW signature.

It's like it SHOULDN'T fit, and yet, it kinda does.

And has John Young always had a delivery like that? I remember hearing that it has changed mightily over the past few decades.

The newscast portion itself is good, aside from that ugly "EYEWITNESS NEWS" logo. They should've used a different font and colors. The promos are atrocious. The effects in the ID in that clip are cheap and visually jarring. It looks like, counting the logos, there's like four or five different fonts. Also using Trubuchet for the ID is tacky. It wouldn't bother me so much if they could just use the Scripps font in the news graphics, which is Gotham and just use that for everything aside from logos. It would be consistent and professional. KERO produces much better promos than WKBW and that says something. You may say, "how good their promotions looks isn't that big of a deal". But it should be because more people are going to see that (during syndicated and network programs) than the actual newscast so if the promos looked more polished, they're able to make a better first impression and potentially get people to watch the newscast because they see a quality promo and the viewer may think, "wow, that looks well produced. I may watch channel 7 news, they look like they're stepping up their game". Scripps can do good promos. WMAR, KNXV, WFTS, and others, have polished professional looking promos, then WKBW has stuff that look like crap.

Now a new set would be nice but I wouldn't consider it a priority. Getting much better people in their Creative department should be a priority though.

They seem to have a great news department that's able to do more now with Scripps' investment into the station. Unfortunately they are set back by a horrible creative services department. Hopefully once they settle in they'll turn their attention to that.

If MCTYW was being played in an endless loop (like what KB had been doing with the opening teases previously) then it would be awkward. Here, the opening tease is just 17 seconds... the duration of the entire MCTYW signature.

It's like it SHOULDN'T fit, and yet, it kinda does.

And has John Young always had a delivery like that? I remember hearing that it has changed mightily over the past few decades.

MCTYW sounds good like that, I wish they were using the uptempo opening cut of inergy and not the generic one they went with. I liked the dark blue on the set behind the anchor as well with the new circle 7 placed fairly well. Not bad. The promos are fine.

Eh. In my completely subjective opinion, things would have been a lot more interesting had they stolen KMGH's logo instead.

Actually the logo they used when it was owned by CapCities was kind of KMGH's logo... it kind of mutated into the logo you see today. (They were using both back in 1982 apparently...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yaP_e_-GH

I would kind of doubt that they would still have the tar sequence as a close, the 2003 eyewitness news rebrand without the name would have killed it. I doubt it would have made it that far anyway. News Series 2000 on the other hand...

Having heard both Tar Sequence and NS2K fairly extensively in actual newscast use, I actually found that Tar Sequence had a much richer, cleaner sound than Gari's version. I think you can tell the difference here, with two 11pm cuts - one the 1987 version with Ernie Anderson announcing, one a 1988 Norman Rose recording with a Gari cut that matches Tar Sequence closer than the open cut they used from around 1989 on.

If Tar Sequence was given the full remaster treatment that MCTYW got, it probably could still feasibly be used in SOME capacity - and I'm not saying necessarily the main theme - but maybe the occasional close would work.

I'm saying maybe because I kind of think what WABC has been using for the past 15 years is a tremendous theme that has aged so well, I don't see any need to change it.

Actually the logo they used when it was owned by CapCities was kind of KMGH's logo... it kind of mutated into the logo you see today. (They were using both back in 1982 apparently...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yaP_e_-GH

Having heard both Tar Sequence and NS2K fairly extensively in actual newscast use, I actually found that Tar Sequence had a much richer, cleaner sound than Gari's version. I think you can tell the difference here, with two 11pm cuts - one the 1987 version with Ernie Anderson announcing, one a 1988 Norman Rose recording with a Gari cut that matches Tar Sequence closer than the open cut they used from around 1989 on.

If Tar Sequence was given the full remaster treatment that MCTYW got, it probably could still feasibly be used in SOME capacity - and I'm not saying necessarily the main theme - but maybe the occasional close would work.

I'm saying maybe because I kind of think what WABC has been using for the past 15 years is a tremendous theme that has aged so well, I don't see any need to change it.

I actually would love to have our Eyewitness news stuff back... It's a great theme. I think any remaster of Cool Hand Luke might have to be a little more synthesized but it would still sound really good. Whoever picked that theme for news in the 60's struck gold.

Interestingly enough, WKBW, WTVD, KFSN and even WPVI all shared the same animated open, all cued to MCYTW, back in the mid 70s.

The aforementioned WKBW "Eyewitness News" intro (scroll to 1:17):

[yt]_yaP_e_-GHI[/yt]

Fragments of WPVI's animated "Action News" open with MCTYW is right at the beginning of this video:

[yt]OduVk4Rge-c[/yt]

(the poster of this video also has posted what likely is the first WPVI "people open" montage elsewhere on his channel)

WTVD "Eyewitness News" animated intro with MCTYW:

[yt]FCJ8gUnW7Sc[/yt]

KFSN "Action News" animated intro - even with the "It's 11 o'clock, do you know where your children are" station ID! (and obvious director cues in the background)

[yt]Kfdh7NxUcpg[/yt]

The new open. New VO as well.

[yt]S9DfM7hyVG8[/yt]

No. Just no. That's not how you do it. You don't put music in with swipes. At any point in time. I don't care if it's the same package. It sounds bad. You have two musical ideas clashing. It's disgusting. It would sound not fantastic, but it would sound just fine without the iNERGY "Top Story" theme every few seconds. Also, I hate female voiceover artists with no conviction whatsoever. I miss John Young.

No. Just no. That's not how you do it. You don't put music in with swipes. At any point in time. I don't care if it's the same package. It sounds bad. You have two musical ideas clashing. It's disgusting. It would sound not fantastic, but it would sound just fine without the iNERGY "Top Story" theme every few seconds. Also, I hate female voiceover artists with no conviction whatsoever. I miss John Young.

I hadn't noticed the inergy swipes in the middle of MCTYW, thats just plain weird.

I hadn't noticed the inergy swipes in the middle of MCTYW, thats just plain weird.

Yeah, they gotta get rid of those swiping sounds.

It's not as bad as the clunky sounds used with literally every portion of WPVI's current package (when it was first unveiled), but the noises are still annoying.

Archived