Scripps overhauls WKBW

MidwestTV

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"AM Bflo?" Geez, I had no idea Granite was THAT cheap...

Granite was even worse... I get them in Toronto and the graphics are unbearable. I'd rather see GRZ begging me to download their app and the squashed lower thirds on WIVB when they have a long line.

Y'all already know about my stance on the music situation. But the other thing that really irks me is that they're now using WXYZ's Circle 7 logo. You know I love the ABC's Circle 7 logo to death and I should be thrilled that any ABC affiliate outside of the O&Os to use the real Circle 7 logo. But in this case, I didn't see any reason to drop WKBW's Circle 7 logo. Of course it was nothing like the logo they had prior to 2003, it had at least some uniqueness. Folks in WNY knows that logo more than this new logo.

And it looks like the "EYEWITNESS NEWS" lettering hasn't really been touched. If they wanted to carbon copy WXYZ so bad, why didn't they use the same font that WXYZ uses for the "ACTION NEWS" lettering? There's alot of half-assing they did. Yeah they do have new duratrans, but when are they're going to invest to get a brand new set. That shouldn't be too far off.

Overall I'm not impressed. The end of MCTYW again, after almost six years is bad enough (despite my dislike of their use of the theme this time). And we all know that the Scripps look was eminent, but trying to carbon copy the logo that's used by their now new sister station, that's just as bad. Someone felt, we're going to give them the look anyway, why not let them use the legit Circle 7 logo with that. Absolutely no uniqueness at all.

And if they think these cosmetic changes is going to bring back the station's glory days, it's going to take a really good minute, until they think about detroning WIVB.

Y'all already know about my stance on the music situation. But the other thing that really irks me is that they're now using WXYZ's Circle 7 logo. You know I love the ABC's Circle 7 logo to death and I should be thrilled that any ABC affiliate outside of the O&Os to use the real Circle 7 logo. But in this case, I didn't see any reason to drop WKBW's Circle 7 logo. Of course it was nothing like the logo they had prior to 2003, it had at least some uniqueness. Folks in WNY knows that logo more than this new logo.

And it looks like the "EYEWITNESS NEWS" lettering hasn't really been touched. If they wanted to carbon copy WXYZ so bad, why didn't they use the same font that WXYZ uses for the "ACTION NEWS" lettering? There's alot of half-assing they did. Yeah they do have new duratrans, but when are they're going to invest to get a brand new set. That shouldn't be too far off.

Overall I'm not impressed. The end of MCTYW again, after almost six years is bad enough (despite my dislike of their use of the theme this time). And we all know that the Scripps look was eminent, but trying to carbon copy the logo that's used by their now new sister station, that's just as bad. Someone felt, we're going to give them the look anyway, why not let them use the legit Circle 7 logo with that. Absolutely no uniqueness at all.

And if they think these cosmetic changes is going to bring back the station's glory days, it's going to take a really good minute, until they think about detroning WIVB

I agree on that. and let's hope this stays "It's 11:00! Do you know where your children are?"

And if they think these cosmetic changes is going to bring back the station's glory days, it's going to take a really good minute, until they think about detroning WIVB.

It's more than cosmetic changes--the staff they're hiring behind and in front of the camera, the overall investment in the product, resources that they didn't have in the past, etc. No one is going to watch because of a logo/music, but if you have good, quality people behind the scenes as well as presenting the news, that goes much further. Think of it as a coat of paint. It may make the outside of the house look good, but if you make little to no changes to the inside, it doesn't matter. (By the way, I don't know if you saw the link above, but apparently they are keeping the old music for opening teases, according to their GM.)

Besides, WIVB is shooting themselves in the foot basically by making the same mistakes WKBW made pre-Scripps (letting reporters walk, cutting costs) as well as having just an overall stale presentation, and they've found themselves behind WGRZ. Once Don Postles and/or Jacquie Walker are gone, that could really open the floodgates. So I think sooner rather than later we'll see the tide begin to turn in Buffalo.

It's more than cosmetic changes--the staff they're hiring behind and in front of the camera, the overall investment in the product, resources that they didn't have in the past, etc. No one is going to watch because of a logo/music, but if you have good, quality people behind the scenes as well as presenting the news, that goes much further. Think of it as a coat of paint. It may make the outside of the house look good, but if you make little to no changes to the inside, it doesn't matter. (By the way, I don't know if you saw the link above, but apparently they are keeping the old music for opening teases, according to their GM.)

Besides, WIVB is shooting themselves in the foot basically by making the same mistakes WKBW made pre-Scripps (letting reporters walk, cutting costs) as well as having just an overall stale presentation, and they've found themselves behind WGRZ. Once Don Postles and/or Jacquie Walker are gone, that could really open the floodgates. So I think sooner rather than later we'll see the tide begin to turn in Buffalo.

And IVB doesn't have Fairbanks, Shaw and they destroyed the graphics with stupid sounds and the crappy coming up teaser lower thirds... As a viewer it's a pain to watch a great team with terrible graphics

Actually using the old Eyewitness News lettering keeps it unique, just like WXYZ's Action News lettering is from god knows when... the ABC days I think in some variation... It's been thinned and stretched over the years... the current version is from 2008.

Old music in opening tease? So only for one thing? So they're going to play MCTYW for the headlines and BOOM, Inergy for the full open? That would be tacky as hell. (BTW, by the time I made my last post, that was when I saw the link.)

I wished this station started live streaming all of its newscasts. Can't wait till their new website goes live.

Actually using the old Eyewitness News lettering keeps it unique' date=' just like WXYZ's Action News lettering is from god knows when... the ABC days I think in some variation... It's been thinned and stretched over the years... the current version is from 2008.[/quote']

TTYTT, they could've used a completely different font, if they wanted to keep the same EWN style they'd always use.

Tradition is great on its own, but when it becomes tied to by all accounts a failing news product, perhaps it's best to leave the past in the past.

In addition, MCTYW probably has cuts and a musical signature that are too long to use as a general news package today, as I've mentioned before. They will keep MCTYW around somewhere for heritage reasons—they have to, and it will probably work well as a music bed. But it isn't workable today.

Old music in opening tease? So only for one thing? So they're going to play MCTYW for the headlines and BOOM, Inergy for the full open? That would be tacky as hell. (BTW, by the time I made my last post, that was when I saw the link.)

Unless they changed it recently, KB opts for a dry open at 11pm but played the MCTYW theme in a loop on the opening tease.

Moreover, the 5pm open news89 posted recently has the theme in a loop on the opening tease followed by a quick ten second open with just the MCTYW signature.

Add me to the list of those who can't wait to see how they do this.

When are they going to fix WKBW's website? It is such crap the way it is now.

It's being built on the ScrippsNationalNews.com CMS platform.

Plus, WKBW just poached WIVB's Eli George to be their new digital content editor. Currently, I don't think that WKBW even HAS a webmaster... they didn't for the past few years under Granite.

Tradition is great on its own, but when it becomes tied to by all accounts a failing news product, perhaps it's best to leave the past in the past.

In addition, MCTYW probably has cuts and a musical signature that are too long to use as a general news package today, as I've mentioned before. They will keep MCTYW around somewhere for heritage reasons—they have to, and it will probably work well as a music bed. But it isn't workable today.

WXYZ used the Cool Hand Luke "Tar Sequence" as a newscast close long after the ABC O&Os retired it, for pretty much the same reason, and only stopped using it after the early 90s licensing fee increases. It's arguable that had it not been for those licensing issues, WXYZ could still be utilizing "Tar Sequence" as a newscast close to this day.

And WKBW learned the hard way what happens when everything related to their heritage is junked (i.e., the "7 NEWS" switchover in 2003). It's nice that Scripps is allowing MCTYW to be used respectfully alongside Inergy, but MCTYW simply cannot carry a newscast by itself any longer.

WXYZ used the Cool Hand Luke "Tar Sequence" as a newscast close long after the ABC O&Os retired it, for pretty much the same reason, and only stopped using it after the early 90s licensing fee increases. It's arguable that had it not been for those licensing issues, WXYZ could still be utilizing "Tar Sequence" as a newscast close to this day.

And WKBW learned the hard way what happens when everything related to their heritage is junked (i.e., the "7 NEWS" switchover in 2003). It's nice that Scripps is allowing MCTYW to be used respectfully alongside Inergy, but MCTYW simply cannot carry a newscast by itself any longer.

I would kind of doubt that they would still have the tar sequence as a close, the 2001 eyewitness news rebrand without the name would have killed it. I doubt it would have made it that far anyway. News Series 2000 on the other hand might have.

That change to NS 2000 was in 1995. The change to two different themes after NS 2000 were in 2000 and 2001 along with 2 new graphics packages those years to go with the new themes. Other than the long lived 2001-2009 EWN period which introduced the third theme and graphics package in 18 months they haven't had a solid long lived theme since 1995.

Inergy is a good theme but they don't apply it evenly

Using 2 cuts In the mornings (morning and the fast tempo version).

The noon uses morning to open, urgent for the commercials and fast tempo for the close.

The 6pm makes sense using one for commercials (slower urgent cut) and fast tempo for open and close.

The 5pm uses fast tempo for open and first commercial break, then switches to urgent for the rest of the show.

The 7pm uses the urgent cut as an open and commercial break cut and closes with the fast tempo.

The 11pm uses only the fast tempo, all weekend newscasts use fast tempo only. I don't get why there isn't just one theme for opens and closes and one for breaks, the random theme applications is really weird.

All fun speculation anyways but they were going in another direction by 2000 anyway licensing fees or not.

Retiring The Tar Sequence or NS 2000 did absolutely nothing to them. They have always had a very strong rivalry with WDIV and generally viewers are fiercely loyal to one or the other and can't stand the one they don't watch.

What has hurt them is retiring ABC O&O talent during the recession, and letting younger O&O caliber reporters go. They haven't recovered fully almost 5 years later. As I've said it is turning around though... But it's like turning the titanic.

Archived