Scripps overhauls WKBW

MidwestTV

And who would have thought that directly copying WXYZ's logo would be a massive step up for 'KB?

Step down if you ask me. I liked the soon to be old logo. And I'm talking about the "circle 7" part, without the added crap (the ABC logo and the calls on the bottom). It was unique to 'KB and had a unique character to it. This new logo is generic and used on almost every ABC station on channel 7 in America. The Eyewitness News logo they've used was ugly though.

But the Scripps graphics and music will be a step up so I guess my concerns are negated.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Step down if you ask me. I liked the soon to be old logo. And I'm talking about the "circle 7" part, without the added crap (the ABC logo and the calls on the bottom). It was unique to 'KB and had a unique character to it. This new logo is generic and used on almost every ABC station on channel 7 in America. The Eyewitness News logo they've used was ugly though.

But the Scripps graphics and music will be a step up so I guess my concerns are negated.

If Scripps actually puts effort into making WKBW competitive (which I think they are), I'm willing to look past the change in logo, although I will miss it.

It's one of the most bulky circle-7's anywhere, it's a fairly unique version. So many of the others are much thinner and closer to the original. I can't think of another station besides these two that use a logo that bulky. The WKBW circle 7 was the ugliest logo I have ever seen. It didn't even really resemble a 7. I miss the version of the logo that was smaller but I'm used to this one now. The only thing I hate is that lousy twisty thing on the inside of the leg of the 7 where it splits out. It looks like it has a jagged corner sticking out in the flat on air version. It was a nice idea but it failed because it wasn't glossy like the smaller GO version from pre-2010 that this one is attempting to emulate. The copper graphics used a much thinner 7.

The legacy 'KB "Circle 7" was retired back in 2003. Their soon-to-be-former "Circle 7" is a relic from their failed "7 NEWS" brand (and frankly, is ugly with the transparent background). In many ways, it's symbolic of how badly Granite neglected the station and tarnished the station almost beyond repair.

Ironically, had Capital Cities kept WKBW when they bought ABC, chances are they would have eventually adopted the ABC-proprietary rendition of the "Circle 7."

The new 'KB EWN logo (and, for that matter, their current EWN logo) is also heavily based off of what they used at the twilight of the Irv Era of Dominance. So it does make some sense to retain it, as a "back to the future" throwback.

OpenGraphic.jpg

And, the "First Alert" trapezoid graphic is a clever reuse of the "WKBW" red trapezoid graphic. Wonder if that was intentional... ;)

I'm just curious if they used John Young as VO or any Inergy cuts in that promo. Plus the news set will need to be redressed somewhat this weekend to accommodate the new circle 7.

Someone on Twitter was able to grab a picture of one of WKBW's promos with the new 7 logo (with a nod to the current logo)...

BybcxlxCMAAb2uj.jpg

I can't help but notice the cheap fonts. Makes me think they're still owned by Granite. As long as they keep that ugly EWN logo and use cheap ugly fonts in their promos they'll continue to have that stigma of being owned by Granite, and it's a stigma they shouldn't have.

I can't help but notice the cheap fonts. Makes me think they're still owned by Granite. As long as they keep that ugly EWN logo and use cheap ugly fonts in their promos they'll continue to have that stigma of being owned by Granite, and it's a stigma they shouldn't have.

The font for Andy Parker is a Scripps thing but not the EWN logo or the other stuff. The website stuff and the logo being kept is more Scripps letting the stations have their own identity's while working in a corporate framework.

Promos just uploaded to Andy Parker's YT channel.

[yt]0EMpKS5JQ-w[/yt]

[yt]VE27_KMUnaw[/yt]

The font selection is a little bit better... but more like a squashed Gotham. Still, a significant improvement over the above screenshot.

And maybe it's me, but I kinda like the EWN logo in 3D.

Promos just uploaded to Andy Parker's YT channel.

[yt]0EMpKS5JQ-w[/yt]

[yt]VE27_KMUnaw[/yt]

The font selection is a little bit better... but more like a squashed Gotham. Still, better than the above screenshot.

And maybe it's me, but I kinda like the EWN logo in 3D.

Not bad, it looks like they are supposed to be WXYZ's little brother or something though. And whats with the super dopplar graphical elements with the 3D city scape and where can we get them? I saw something like that on the 6pm newscast here today... all it did was jerk over and over again and it didn't even get zoomed in before the end of the segment it was in, it looked nice though. Apparently the equipment is pretty old and doesn't always render correctly...

Well, 'KB was the little brother to WPVI during the CapCities era, so maybe it makes sense for it to be a "little brother" to WXYZ.

Generally Scripps has retained their station's news logos when they all went the standardization route. The obvious exceptions are WEWS and WPTV, who for whatever reason never have shown the "News Channel" wording in their respective opens... just their circle 5 logos. (As if it's embarrassing to use the "News Channel" name.)

Those promos weren't much better. And that logo looks horrible with the Scripps gfx. The colors don't match. I guess the in-house guy who made their atrocious gfx pkg is still there doing gfx?

They also seem to be cheapening out on the set. Looks like they're just changing the duratrans. The GM needs to go. He was hired under Granite and it baffles me why Scripps retained him.

Let's wait and see what happens. I'm sure a new set is on the way eventually.

The GM gave an interview when Scripps took over, and he acknowledged that they needed a new set but getting the necessary equipment/personalities to be competitive was top priority. There is so much to do at WKBW, that a new set is not priority right now, but i'm sure it's on the do list. Also, just because Granite hired him, doesn't make him a bad GM. At the end of the day, he has to work within his budget, and if Granite did not give him the resources he needed, then what is he supposed to do? Scripps will give him the resources necessary to compete, and if he can't get the needle to move, then he'll be gone fairly quickly.

Those promos weren't much better. And that logo looks horrible with the Scripps gfx. The colors don't match. I guess the in-house guy who made their atrocious gfx pkg is still there doing gfx?

They also seem to be cheapening out on the set. Looks like they're just changing the duratrans. The GM needs to go. He was hired under Granite and it baffles me why Scripps retained him.

I have to disagree significantly with you. I saw and see no issues with the logo or the promos... rather, the exact opposite.

As for GM Mike Nurse, he's had to rebuild a station that his predecessor, Bill Ransom, almost destroyed. (Seeing as how Granite kept Ransom at 'KB long after they plummeted into last place, well, Granite deserved to go bankrupt.) Nurse had zero budget to do anything under Granite, and now he finally has resources and money under Scripps.

I did see that the newsroom is apparently tabbed for a renovation job next. And master control needs to be updated and rerouted to WRTV. Likely that the news set will be redressed into something passable for a few months, thus, the duratrans swapping.

Archived