Scripps overhauls WKBW

MidwestTV

Looks like they are testing the graphics system featuring a (presumably) new Scripps package. Wonder how long before it gets pulled.

Not sure but the current OTS box on screen reminds me of Scripps Package from 2009-2012.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure but the current OTS box on screen reminds me of Scripps Package from 2009-2012.

Its a brownish color, which is very odd.

Can't confirm, but the font looks different... like a hybrid between Gotham and Myriad. (It can't be Myriad... can it?)

Without the benefit of widescreen, I can't tell if there's anything else outside the safe area.

Can't confirm, but the font looks different... like a hybrid between Gotham and Myriad. (It can't be Myriad... can it?)

Without the benefit of widescreen, I can't tell if there's anything else outside the safe area.

Perhaps (only a guess) they need to load up the fonts for the new Scripps system? (Not a expert in motion graphics software, so taking a stab in the dark) If so, I would think that it would come pre-shipped with fonts, backgrounds, etc.

They are still streaming the ABC Network feed I think ABC has 2nd GH feed for some stations. Now dropped the Network feed to black screen with Eyewitness News bug in left hand corner. This is kinda neat to watch them mess around with this stuff.

Those look to me like they're just generic templates that a lot of things come pre-loaded with....

The likelihood that Scripps is dropping their Renderon package for something that has a red bar as a lower third is pretty slim.

That would explain the Myriad typeface then. To me, it feels like they are trying to get the new equipment to actually work and make it be able to temporarily use the current in-house graphical atrocities.

Sad thing is, that generic red L3 is 100,000% better than what passes for an L3 at 'KB.

I know the Lighthouse is busy trying to get the ota look at the house that Irv and Commander Tom built converted to Scripps Style, but when will they convert

the website to the Scripps template? Right now it is still Granite style, and that kinda reminds me of one of those mom and pop diners in a small town, where the placemat has advertisements from

neighboring mom and pop businesses....

That would explain the Myriad typeface then. To me, it feels like they are trying to get the new equipment to actually work and make it be able to temporarily use the current in-house graphical atrocities.

Sad thing is, that generic red L3 is 100,000% better than what passes for an L3 at 'KB.

Exactly. They're likely in the "Engineering" phase of deployment, where the equipment is being racked and tested. The equipment is probably direct from Chyron and once it's ready, the Scripps hub will go in and install the graphics.

A few training sessions and rehearsals later, they'll start using the Scripps package.

They are currently doing some rehersals with Andy Parker, et. al on the livestream. They seem to be using a free moving camera in addition to the fixed cameras, almost like the KMGH setup shown earlier in this thread.

It's an odd configuration as the current graphics seem to still be in use. EXCEPT... there was one quick camera shot of one of Andy's PCs with the new weather graphics. This was the best screen capture I could get, but it also looks like a totally new logo for WKBW... (copying the WXYZ-ABC-proprietary circle 7, or taking the current 2003-era "7" but modifying it to look like WXYZ's logo? I couldn't tell...)

1738548827_WKBWWeather2014a.png.aee3124189cf6c75d143d1b7efa0c63d.png

WKBW is still streaming looks like now streaming "AM Buffalo".

Looks like the WXYZ "7"

They are currently doing some rehersals with Andy Parker, et. al on the livestream. They seem to be using a free moving camera in addition to the fixed cameras, almost like the KMGH setup shown earlier in this thread.

It's an odd configuration as the current graphics seem to still be in use. EXCEPT... there was one quick camera shot of one of Andy's PCs with the new weather graphics. This was the best screen capture I could get, but it also looks like a totally new logo for WKBW... (copying the WXYZ-ABC-proprietary circle 7, or taking the current 2003-era "7" but modifying it to look like WXYZ's logo? I couldn't tell...)

Don't tell me they're just copying WXYZ's weather logo. Talk about being lazy...

Exactly. They're likely in the "Engineering" phase of deployment, where the equipment is being racked and tested. The equipment is probably direct from Chyron and once it's ready, the Scripps hub will go in and install the graphics.

Looks like it's already happening...

226228784_WKBW2014chyron.thumb.jpg.356a4cf16ff51ed046fa773cac55e51e.jpg

Don't tell me they're just copying WXYZ's weather logo. Talk about being lazy...

I thought it was a placeholder screen shot, but no.

865k4q1079q71cl6g.jpg

d34ep397unz589p6g.jpg

Still be an upgrade over "We Know Buffalo Weather."

And yes, it looks like the WXYZ "circle 7" will also serve as WKBW's new logo.

I thought it was a placeholder screen shot, but no.

865k4q1079q71cl6g.jpg

d34ep397unz589p6g.jpg

Still be an upgrade over "We Know Buffalo Weather."

And yes, it looks like the WXYZ "circle 7" will also serve as WKBW's new logo.

I just noticed that on the stream.

Not exactly a copy... the shape of the area the "First Alert" lettering sits in is a trapazoid on these. Ours is an oval. Notice our highs and lows are lined up with each other vs. the WKBW look. Best of all our 7 still has the glossy ABC logo because it's from 2011. Actually the 7 WKBW is using is the current WXYZ bug just like my profile picture. The 7 that WXYZ uses for the weather is not quite the same, it kind of version 1.0 of the current bug. It's a different color (white/cream instead of silver) and was made for the last graphics package. Each Scripps station's weather graphics are a little different and yet still look like a template. They do give some decent flexibility to the individual weather departments though.

http://www.wxyz.com/weather/7-day

Not exactly a copy... the shape of the area the "First Alert" lettering sits in is a trapazoid on these. Ours is an oval. Notice our highs and lows are lined up with each other vs. the WKBW look. Best of all our 7 still has the glossy ABC logo because it's from 2011. Actually the 7 WKBW is using is the current WXYZ bug just like my profile picture. The 7 that WXYZ uses for the weather is not quite the same, it kind of version 1.0 of the current bug. It's a different color (white/cream instead of silver) and was made for the last graphics package. Each Scripps station's weather graphics are a little different and yet still look like a template. They do give some decent flexibility to the individual weather departments though.

http://www.wxyz.com/weather/7-day

Makes sense to me.

For a visual aide to help explain the differences, the top is the screenshot I took from WKBW's stream; the bottom is a direct image from WXYZ's website.

d34ep397unz589p6g.jpg

261883869_Position1.GIF

I know the Lighthouse is busy trying to get the ota look at the house that Irv and Commander Tom built converted to Scripps Style, but when will they convert

the website to the Scripps template? Right now it is still Granite style, and that kinda reminds me of one of those mom and pop diners in a small town, where the placemat has advertisements from

neighboring mom and pop businesses....

Considering that the new Scripps graphics are clearly showing a new logo for WKBW, the change may occur on that same day (next Monday, tentatively).

Unfortunately, there's no way to see the new website in development, unlike Gannett's Presto UX system.

A little digging brought this up...

full--100.png

That means a new website is already being seriously worked on, if not ready to be launched right now. Check the URL for the logo above. ScrippsNationalNews.com is what feeds the CMS content for all the legacy Scripps sites.

And who would have thought that directly copying WXYZ's logo would be a massive step up for 'KB?

Archived