Scripps overhauls WKBW

MidwestTV

Wow. Maybe WTMJ's graphics won't reach their 6th anniversary after all, if they're already working on flipping a station they've owned for all of a few weeks.

In WKBW's case, they're immediately fixing a station that was already broken under previous ownership. In WTMJ's case, the Journal/Scripps merger still needs to be finalized before even talking about graphic changes.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Maybe WTMJ's graphics won't reach their 6th anniversary after all, if they're already working on flipping a station they've owned for all of a few weeks.

WTMJ and the Journal stations have professionally done graphics. This is what WKBW has had to cobble together over the past few years:

[yt]wc0fB-e9d3E[/yt]

[yt]leOmkuI9PLQ[/yt]

[yt]Cqn8rKLiF5A[/yt]

WTMJ and the Journal stations have professionally done graphics. This is what WKBW has had to cobble together over the past few years:

[yt]wc0fB-e9d3E[/yt]

[yt]leOmkuI9PLQ[/yt]

[yt]Cqn8rKLiF5A[/yt]

My goodness! No wonder WKBW plummeted in the ratings. Everything on there looked low-rent and chintzy from the set to the graphics (especially the L3s). Even though Scripps isn't exactly great ownership these days, at least it's way better than how Granite ran 7 to the ground only to add insult to injury and desecrate the memory of EWN and MCTYW in Buffaloers.

WTMJ and the Journal stations have professionally done graphics.

"professionally done" graphics that each station has taken and done their own thing to and ruined them...

Tl8b685.png

this looks like it came out of a video game.

nzi25LG.png

these actually look better than the ones most journal stations use with the shadow and gradient on the red part text.

BDkD9hp.png

this bug is just embarrassing...

dbINeMl.png

the journal pack is not render on's best work... but not wkbw bad.

scripps is obsessively controlling of their station's looks and will have a plan well before the day the merger closes on how to replace these. they actually pay attention, unlike journal.

"professionally done" graphics that each station has taken and done their own thing to and ruined them...

scripps is obsessively controlling of their station's looks and will have a plan well before the day the merger closes on how to replace these. they actually pay attention, unlike journal.

I don't think the Journal package was so much bad as it was what you said; the individual stations took them and personalized them to the point of looking bad.

And yes, despite all that Scripps has done lately ruining their stations, one thing they have managed to do correctly are the graphics. They realized that the atomic brown ones were horribly received and actually did something to change it and make it better. They also appear to understand the importance in refreshing a look, meaning that it doesn't appear Scripps will have a package made and then have their stations keep it for 6+ years.

Tl8b685.png

this looks like it came out of a video game.

nzi25LG.png

these actually look better than the ones most journal stations use with the shadow and gradient on the red part text.

BDkD9hp.png

this bug is just embarrassing...

dbINeMl.png

Still, the Journal stations had packages that were professionally designed.

WKBW's 2008 EWN look was effectively an extension of their generic but effective 2003 "7 News" graphics, only with a crappy open that was hastily put together.

Their 2010 graphical nightmare (and subsequent HD open AND their current hideous parallelogram red-bar logo) was purely in-house, by one person. Not only did that one person post his work on YouTube, but took pride in it.

I could probably agree that one could take pride in such work if he was at KXGN or some far flung, remote station in the middle of nowhere. But this is Buffalo, New York, at a station that was a jewel of CapCities but since became the butt monkey of Granite. A market where LIN-MG and Gannett are more than happy to obliterate you if you don't want or care to put forward a professional looking OTA product.

Even if Scripps implementated their 2009 orange and brown graphics disaster, it would be a massive upgrade for WKBW.

Still, the Journal stations had packages that were professionally designed.

WKBW's 2008 EWN look was effectively an extension of their generic but effective 2003 "7 News" graphics, only with a crappy open that was hastily put together.

Their 2010 graphical nightmare (and subsequent HD open AND their current hideous parallelogram red-bar logo) was purely in-house, by one person. Not only did that one person post his work on YouTube, but took pride in it.

I could probably agree that one could take pride in such work if he was at KXGN or some far flung, remote station in the middle of nowhere. But this is Buffalo, New York, at a station that was a jewel of CapCities but since became the butt monkey of Granite. A market where LIN-MG and Gannett are more than happy to obliterate you if you don't want or care to put forward a professional looking OTA product.

Even if Scripps implementated their 2009 orange and brown graphics disaster, it would be a massive upgrade for WKBW.

Nobody here is going to like me for this but I don't really care: The graphics at least in the third video really aren't that bad. They are kind of boring but not horrible. MCTYW on the other hand is so mismatched with them, I think it's the problem. I don't really get the obsession with that theme anyways, all I visualize when I hear it is a parade from a cheesy 1970's movie or the kids TV show Recess. It's not even newsy in the least. The current Scripps pack and Inergy will be a major upgrade.

Nobody here is going to like me for this but I don't really care: The graphics at least in the third video really aren't that bad. They are kind of boring but not horrible. MCTYW on the other hand is so mismatched with them, I think it's the problem. I don't really get the obsession with that theme anyways, all I visualize when I hear it is a parade from a cheesy 1970's movie or the kids TV show Recess. It's not even newsy in the least. The current Scripps pack and Inergy will be a major upgrade.

It's not so much how good the theme is, and I agree with your assessment of it, it's the longevity of the use of the theme that matters. It's not that good of a theme in my opinion and it makes you wonder, if WPVI dropped it sometime in the 70's or 80's, they could very well be using Eyewitness News today...

Inergy and the Scripps gfx will be a major upgrade for sure.

The lower thirds in that third video look like they're from 2001, not 2011.

I do notice there's a lot of echo in the studio - that must contribute to the chintzy feel. And that bug is pretty crappy too.

MCTYW never made me think of the Recess theme...

The lower thirds in that third video look like they're from 2001, not 2011.

I do notice there's a lot of echo in the studio - that must contribute to the chintzy feel. And that bug is pretty crappy too.

MCTYW never made me think of the Recess theme...

The music from the first few seconds of the Recess theme before it really gets going and the part of MCTYW that they are using to go to commercials are almost the same. Just because the L3's aren't modern doesn't make them bad. It makes them dated. The Gold Scripps disaster... that was bad. These? Not even close to that bad.

I wasn't saying it was bad, I was saying that it contributed to a perception that WKBW was low-rent compared to WGRZ or WIVB.

The gold Scripps stuff suffered from looking overly-templatey and, to be honest, the colors reminded me too much of Entertainment Tonight's look of about a decade prior (skip to the opening animation - that's stuck in my head for a long time). I'm glad KMGH never got slapped with it, but I do have to wonder how much the average viewer minded it.

I wasn't saying it was bad, I was saying that it contributed to a perception that WKBW was low-rent compared to WGRZ or WIVB.

The gold Scripps stuff suffered from looking overly-templatey and, to be honest, the colors reminded me too much of Entertainment Tonight's look of about a decade prior (skip to the opening animation - that's stuck in my head for a long time). I'm glad KMGH never got slapped with it, but I do have to wonder how much the average viewer minded it.

Probably not much, the average viewer isn't nearly as engaged as any of us and probably only cares that it can be easily read. The colors might be the biggest turn off with those. Thank god the guy who called them "attractive, modern earth-tones viewers demand" at Newscast Studio was wrong.

I would feel proud too if a local television station hit me up to create graphics for them to use on all of their newscasts. Bad or not, I would still be proud (albeit embarrassed if they were genuine sh!t).

It doesn't help that WKBW uses the mid-80s master of MCTYW, and the same limited cuts. (And looping the main cut for the opening teases? Huh?)

It sounds dated and drab more than anything else, and actually matches the dated look of the graphics currently in use. Contrast that with how WPVI handles MCTYW, and how WNEP has a redone version of the theme.

Which is remarkable considering that WKBW used a New Age-esque rendition of MCTYW back at the tail end of the Irv era.

I don't think the 90s version of MCTYW would have aged well either. (It was in use

and was
.) The style was

Part of the problem is that MCTYW has a very long musical signature, too long to even fit in the types of news opens in the Scripps package.

It's not that good of a theme in my opinion and it makes you wonder, if WPVI dropped it sometime in the 70's or 80's, they could very well be using Eyewitness News today...

If you're talking the Eyewitness News theme music, maybe. But if you're talking about the Eyewitness news name, probably not, as KYW was already using that name (similar situation in SF).

If you're talking the Eyewitness News theme music, maybe. But if you're talking about the Eyewitness news name, probably not, as KYW was already using that name (similar situation in SF).

They're talking about the Move Closer to Your World theme.

I don't think the 90s version of MCTYW would have aged well either. (It was in use

and was
.) The style was

Part of the problem is that MCTYW has a very long musical signature, too long to even fit in the types of news opens in the Scripps package.

True. I can't think of an appropriate way that the MCTYW signature, or even a small part of it, could be appropriated into Inergy without making it all sound clunky. (As opposed to when the Catch 5 signature was grafted onto a version of "Good News.")

Some of the harder cuts of Inergy have a MCTYW-type feel to it. If those cuts are used, few Buffaloians may squabble over the change like what happened with the generic, light "Right Here, Right Now."

[yt]wc0fB-e9d3E[/yt]

[yt]leOmkuI9PLQ[/yt]

[yt]Cqn8rKLiF5A[/yt]

Compare those atrocities to what they had around 2003...

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like WKBW's flip to the Scripps music/graphics is imminent.

The overhauled morning show will debut on September 29th or when the new graphics and equipment are fully installed.

Also the newscasts are simply being referred to as "7 Eyewitness News," which might be tied in to the occasional mentions of "7ABC" on-air.

Archived