Sportsnet (Canada) working on new NHL studio

Viper550

It looks very nice. Considering the billions that Rogers just paid for the national NHL rights, I am not surprised. I also wouldn't be surprised if Sportsnet has a new logo or graphics by the start of the NHL season.

It's also in a different place too; they're renting out space at CBC's main Toronto studios just for NHL coverage.

And yeah, I'm expecting a new look. But not a new logo; they already re-launched a few years ago, and on Connected a few weeks ago (that's their SportsCenter-type show. Hockey Central is basically their NFL Live parallel, and it's expanding to an hour too) they showed off a hat featuring their NHL on Sportsnet logo (which is just the NHL logo with the SN logo under it, surprise surprise). SN's look has always sorta been half-baked lately; they got Troika to do the 3D work (the current regional NHL intros and the Blue Jays package have some amazing CG), but Rogers skimped on everything else with this rather bland silver and black scheme for the L3s/such that does have SOME potential, but aren't really using well (I was expecting a sort of blue-tinted version of the old NBC Sports design when I heard Troika was doing it)

WDpbuOG.jpg

Well, here it is, in all its glory. The new home ice of the NHL in Canada.

It is absolutely insane.

7GQfHaZ.jpg

VXcZIuH.jpg

11,000 square feet. 9 sets. 14 cameras, The "biggest high-res screen in sports broadcasting". Designed by the same people who did CTV's sets for the Olympics. Only $4.5 million.

And you thought ESPN's dedicated NFL studio was extravagant for just one sport.

Well, here it is, in all its glory. The new home ice of the NHL in Canada.

It is absolutely insane.

7GQfHaZ.jpg

VXcZIuH.jpg

11,000 square feet. 9 sets. 14 cameras, The "biggest high-res screen in sports broadcasting". Designed by the same people who did CTV's sets for the Olympics. Only $4.5 million.

And you thought ESPN's dedicated NFL studio was extravagant for just one sport.

You also get a few glimpses of what may be a new graphics package as well. Rogers is certainly pulling out all the stops with their brand new NHL rights package. HNIC will never be the same though but this looks like it'll be a worthy replacement.

They stated they have 14 cameras for the studio. I know it's large but I wonder if the cameras are manual or robotic. I'm assuming robotics can work - they most likely could be pushed into place then go auto.

They stated they have 14 cameras for the studio. I know it's large but I wonder if the cameras are manual or robotic. I'm assuming robotics can work - they most likely could be pushed into place then go auto.

I see...

3 manual pedestal cameras in the main portion of the studio.

1 Jib.

3 manual pedestal cameras (possibly with robotic heads, but it doesn't look like it) in the glassed-in mini "regional" studio.

3 "teleconference" style PTZ cameras hung from the ceiling of the mini studio (Probably for the radio program).

2 cameras on tripods on the set above the mini studio.

1 Steadicam above the mini studio.

Someone is running one camera handheld in a clip in the video. That would be 14.

You also get a few glimpses of what may be a new graphics package as well. Rogers is certainly pulling out all the stops with their brand new NHL rights package. HNIC will never be the same though but this looks like it'll be a worthy replacement.

Bruh, it's basically CBC Sports' current "slate black & blue with hints of gold" package added with Sportsnet's dynamic 3D renders and lens flares. They'll have new music too, hopefully not stock music you can pull out from any music site.

Bruh, it's basically CBC Sports' current "slate black & blue with hints of gold" package added with Sportsnet's dynamic 3D renders and lens flares. They'll have new music too, hopefully not stock music you can pull out from any music site.

It's been confirmed that the music is going to be a remix of the music Sportsnet introduced for regional games a few years ago. They played a bit of it over a schedule listing during the season preview special tonight, though we'll have to see how it all looks tomorrow. For some reason I'm expecting the graphics to end up looking like NBC ... I don't know why though.

They have a video now with George and Dion Phaneuf touring the new set, and it appears to use actual camera angles from it too. It's going to be interesting on-air for sure.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/new-nhl-studios-lives-up-to-hype-for-phaneuf/?row=1&row_ids=1617477

Sportsnet's relaunched the flagship sports program, Connected. From now on it's called "Sportsnet Central". It also launched it's brand new lower thirds, but the overall intros and graphics is the same. Going to upload the first few minutes soon. In the meantime rather call this a sneak peek to the graphics package for NHL on Sportsnet.

Archived