Global Television Network introduces new 24 hour hybrid news channel "Global News 1"

Journalist

Shaw Media, the owner of the Global Television Network announces a new 24 hour network called 'Global News 1'. While the application is still being read by the CRTC, it plans to be like no other...

Global News 1 will feature a national newsfeed bookended by local news segments tailored specifically for each of the markets it serves. Using next-generation technology, the service will be framed by a continuous data feed of hyper-local headlines and community events. With the ability to cover live, breaking news at the local, regional or national level, Global News 1 will be like no other service on the dial.

Shaw says that each of the 12 markets with owned-and-operated Global stations (Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Saint John, Halifax) will have its own feed, but there will also be eight additional communities getting “local newsrooms” — places with “either no local television news or limited competition”:

Fort McMurray, Alta.

Red Deer, Alta.

Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.

Niagara, Ont.

Mississauga, Ont.

Ottawa, Ont.

Quebec City, Que.

Charlottetown, P.E.I.

And on top of that, “Shaw Media is also proposing to open the channel to eight small-market, independent broadcasters who would have the opportunity to add their own local content to the service and retain all local advertising in their markets.”

Troy Reeb, senior vice-president of Global News, tells me these stations are:

CKPG in Prince George, B.C. (Jim Pattison Group) — City affiliate

CFJC in Kamloops, B.C. (Jim Pattison Group) — City affiliate

CHAT in Medicine Hat, Alta. (Jim Pattison Group) — City affiliate

CKSA/CITL in Lloydminster, Alta./Sask. (Newcap) — CBC and CTV affiliates, respectively

CHFD in Thunder Bay, Ont. (Dougall Media) — already a Global affiliate

CHEX in Peterborough, Ont. (Corus) — CBC affiliate

CKWS in Kingston, Ont. (Corus) — CBC affiliate

CJON in St. John’s, N.L. (NTV)

- Fagstein blog

Video of the announcement can be seen here.

Basically, Global News 1 is going to be a new and improved version of the Headline News concept, right? If so, this could be a model in America for NC8 if it goes national.

Locally Comcast still cuts in during the day during HLN.

My only question is will the local news cutaways be live or recorded?

Locally Comcast still cuts in during the day during HLN.

My only question is will the local news cutaways be live or recorded?

It would be a mix of live and recorded, similar to CP24. The local inserts in major markets like Toronto would be live mostly the entire day. However, smaller to very tiny markets like Charlottetown would be mostly recorded. The decent sized markets like Mississauga (come on, it's larger than Vancouver, why do this city have a station?) would be live every 2-3 hours or so - just to keep it refreshed and updated.

I like the idea of local updates on the top and bottom of the hour. I wonder what will happen to Global News BC1

There is a slight chance that Global News 1 would replace the channel number for BC1; which would be sad because of it's success. But I'm still beliving that BC1 and Global News 1 will operate parallel between each other.

Another thing, if Global News 1 gets approved, we'll finally see a competing news station that includes Toronto. Really don't like the fact CP24 is the only local station in Canada plus being owned by a company that every despises.

It would be a mix of live and recorded, similar to CP24. The local inserts in major markets like Toronto would be live mostly the entire day. However, smaller to very tiny markets like Charlottetown would be mostly recorded. The decent sized markets like Mississauga (come on, it's larger than Vancouver, why do this city have a station?) would be live every 2-3 hours or so - just to keep it refreshed and updated.

There is a slight chance that Global News 1 would replace the channel number for BC1; which would be sad because of it's success. But I'm still beliving that BC1 and Global News 1 will operate parallel between each other.

Another thing, if Global News 1 gets approved, we'll finally see a competing news station that includes Toronto. Really don't like the fact CP24 is the only local station in Canada plus being owned by a company that every despises.

Heh. I miss Citynews Channel.

Archived