New NHL Network Look On the Way?

WCAUTVNBC10

NHL's preseason got underway yesterday evening and NHL Network unveiled a new what looks to be VizRt driven ticker. It behaves a lot like ESPN's & NBC Sports' tickers. The studio hits they went to during the intermissions used the old look but that's probably temporary. NHL Live debuts tonight so I'm guess they'll take the wraps off for everything then.

Image1.jpg

On an unrelated note, CSN is going full widescreen with its presentation. They've hiked the scoreboards for all of their live games to edges of the screen and other graphics have been also adjusted accordingly.

Saw that last night too. Glad to see their ticker finally matches up with their game graphics (seen here alongside the old ticker: http://www.realitychecksystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/NHLN_25.jpg).

I think this new look is going to be a bit of a downgrade though. The previous look was great save for the cheesy ice motif. But I guess they couldn't figure out how to make their game graphics look like that so they said "F*** it, let's make everything look like our game graphics."

it's weird they are going to Viz, because most of NBC's graphics run on Chyron and some with Deko.

How can you tell that they are going Viz on the bottom?

The animations remind me a lot of ESPN's ticker and ESPN is a full blown Viz shop. Also, at least on the network level anyway, NBC Sports has been Viz driven since they launched the current look in 2012. I know their production trucks for the NFL and NHL are Viz now. I dunno what they are using in Stamford but judging by the ticker at least at the MC level they're using Viz as well.

Saw that last night too. Glad to see their ticker finally matches up with their game graphics (seen here alongside the old ticker: http://www.realitychecksystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/NHLN_25.jpg).

I think this new look is going to be a bit of a downgrade though. The previous look was great save for the cheesy ice motif. But I guess they couldn't figure out how to make their game graphics look like that so they said "F*** it, let's make everything look like our game graphics."

And the game graphics seem to be a rejiggering of the last version of the Versus game look. They just changed the font, base colors and added twisted steel elements everywhere.

Meanwhile, CSN decided to finally go to 16:9 for its score bar. Hopefully NBC will follow suit?

I am working under the presumption that Sportsnet up in Canada is going to be revamping their on-air look for the new NHL coverage.

I'm surprised NBCSN didn't do that when they started sending out only their HD signal and it can't be because of broadcast network games either. NBC letterboxes their network programming for SD already anyway. Sports shouldn't be any different.

You thought Klavika was bad?

DIN is growing in overuse too. not only is Gannett, Sinclair, and ABC using it, DIN is pretty much CBC's Gill Sans; their recent news graphics have always used it, and their current blue/black sports graphics use it too. Sportsnet's website (particularly its updated NHL section) has been starting to use it too. I dear hope that they don't start using it on-air. They have some rather unique typography right now, but it's just that their current graphics are hit or miss.

How can graphics systems like Chyron and the Viz work together given they are different animals from what I know about it?

Maybe that's the point. Perhaps they correspond to different levels of automation but perhaps they use two systems to be keyed into different parts of the picture. Perhaps chyron for the lower thirds, and Viz for the 3D elements and ticker.

Maybe that's the point. Perhaps they correspond to different levels of automation but perhaps they use two systems to be keyed into different parts of the picture. Perhaps chyron for the lower thirds, and Viz for the 3D elements and ticker.

I think ABC News did the same, Viz for the "3D" animation and Chyron for the banners before they went all Viz a while back.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived