KTVA reporter curses, quits on-air

Weeters

A reporter at KTVA in Anchorage quit her job last evening during the station's 10:00PM newscast. As reporter Charlo Greene tagged the end of a package (apparently regarding voting for access to marijuana), she revealed herself as the owner of the "Alaska Cannabis Club" and rambled briefly about legalizing marijuana. She ended her on-air rant with "F--- it. I quit." and walked off the set.

[yt]rYcSqIuqkz4[/yt]

Hope that new venture works out for 'ya, Charlo.

She's made the right bet, marijuana will make her more money and be more stable (in a state where it's legal) then TV news which is in a slow death spiral that shows no signs of stopping.

The only rambling I saw was the fumbling anchor, the reporter was lucid the whole time.

If she had an emotional connection to the story (ie, a family member suffering from a terrible illness) and framed what was a gobsmackingly obvious conflict of interest, perhaps she would have garnered some sympathy. Maybe even a little support if she resigned to help said family member or friend.

Instead she went the selfish and cowardly route, kept her conflict of interest deliberately hidden from everyone else at KTVA, and sheepishly quit while dropping the F-bomb. Now she'll be the target of jokes on the late night scene for quite a bit of time, making it a de facto first impression for millions and millions on a international level.

She may have set the cause for medical marijuana in Alaska back significantly. And that's not even including the obvious legal fallout headed her way.

KTVA ND Bert Rudman posted an apology on the station's Facebook page:

Dear Viewers,

We sincerely apologize for the inappropriate language used by a KTVA reporter during her live presentation on the air Sept. 21. The employee is terminated.

Bert Rudman

News Director - KTVA 11 News

Uh. Not quite. At least not yet. Considering Alaska doesn't allow legal pot sales, it's more likely she had put a big bullseye on her (and by extension, her "club's") back than it would have had otherwise.

Right, I didn't mean Alaska, I was thinking Michigan or Colorado or another state that's been more progressive, but she'd better get out of town quick. In a long term sense pot has great monetary potential the way things seem to be going. I do think it's time to revisit why the F-bomb is so bad though. I hear it all the time, including in the newsroom. How's that for irony? It's a commonly used word frankly.

Heh... love how he says "the employee is terminated." Uh, I think she quit before you could fire her. :)

Bert's statement made me think more of the T-9000 type of 'terminated.'

That statement effectively slams shut any chance that Charlo Greene and KTVA could ever reconcile. Likely is the final dagger in Charlo's career, period.

The "f••k it, I quit" sign-off wasn't the brightest move, but the real question here is, did KTVA's news management not know beforehand of the inadvertent conflict of interest that she headed the pro-pot legalization group she was reporting on?

I thought the same thing myself.

Bert's statement made me think more of the T-9000 type of 'terminated.'

That statement effectively slams shut any chance that Charlo Greene and KTVA could ever reconcile. Likely is the final dagger in Charlo's career, period.

Did it appear to you that she cared? Looked like she knew that going in and TV was far more stressful than her pot group. She's probably dead on with that.

The "f••k it, I quit" sign-off wasn't the brightest move, but the real question here is, did KTVA's news management not know beforehand of the inadvertent conflict of interest that she headed the pro-pot legalization group she was reporting on?

Bert's "this employee is terminated" statement suggests as such.

Did it appear to you that she cared? Looked like she knew that going in and TV was far more stressful than her pot group. She's probably dead on with that.

So something legal (reporting on TV) is more stressful than doing something currently illegal in Alaska (heading a marijuana group)?

I guess if she was worried about deliberately outing herself on the air, much like what she did, that might make sense.

Bert's "this employee is terminated" statement suggests as such.

So something legal (reporting on TV) is more stressful than doing something currently illegal in Alaska (heading a marijuana group)?

I guess if she was worried about deliberately outing herself on the air, much like what she did, that might make sense.

I was trying to be funny with the pot group being relaxed comment. Pot tends to relax people they say but I've never tried the stuff so I don't know that as a fact. I do think she has put more pressure on herself although we don't know exactly her state of mind beyond what we see and hear in the video. I suspect she was stressed. News would definitely be more stressful with all the deadlines and demands. Her pot group isn't illegal if she's advocating for it's legalization. She's only in trouble if she's actually caught with it. This is why the KKK and the Nazi party are legal as well. However burning a cross or some other extreme act is not legal.

I assume the station did not know about her moonlighting as a owner of the marijuana group because I'm pretty sure that would be in violation of the standard morals clause.

But since I brought up morality clauses could a journalist at a station in Washington or Colorado and where ever else medical marijuana is legal be fired for purchasing and using marijuana at home?

Bert Rudman also posted a video apology on the station's website, pretty much confirming that Charlo didn't disclose that she headed the Alaska Cannabis Club to KTVA management (something she herself confirmed in an interview on Monday/Tuesday's "TMZ Live").

http://www.ktva.com/ktva-official-statement-on-charlo-greenes-departure-248/

This TVSpy article also looks further at the incident, and implies that Charlo may have set back her cause:

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/charlo-greenes-f-bomb-farewell-could-damage-more-than-just-her-career_b129531

Considering there has to be some ethics violations that were made here, is it possible that KTVA or Charlo could get into some legal hot water?

Charlo should be fined by the FCC for using the F word. Not KTVA. Just saying...

Normally a fleeting expletive won't result in a fine as long as the person was not referring to a specific act. But because the appearance was most likely planned, she should get the fine.

I would like it if you could say the seven dirty words on TV. I found a list from OfCom & ITV and was shocked at what was allowed. Then again they also allow nudity. I remember reading article for a horrendous period piece show where he BBC broadcast a clean version showing a man and a woman having sex and the woman's breasts were exposed and the scene was quick. Compare that to the premium cable version of the same show on Starz where the sex scene last much longer and showed even more.

She would have done more for her cause had she gone out like any reporter announcing a switch to PR or real estate and cited the grind of the newsroom really getting to her. A reporter quitting to start a dispensary would have made just as many national headlines without the punch of swearing and quitting on live TV.

Archived