The end is now near for WJSU/WCFT

Thundershock MN

It's actually 17.2 according to the news graphic shown during the newscast.

[ATTACH]1411.IPB[/ATTACH]

Also, their advertisements continue to push that this only effects OTA viewers, cable and satellite viewers not effected.

DirecTV is moving ABC 33/40 from channel 33 to channel 67 beginning next Monday night.

[ATTACH]1410.IPB[/ATTACH]

31579023_ABC3340changes.PNG.e0b34305d273f503399cb222549ffd24.PNG

1441706388_ABC3340changes2.JPG.6706dc468b4d20512c202ecf3261b735.JPG

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange move by DirecTV, but it lines up with their policy to move subchannels to adjacent "channels" on either side of the "primary station" which in this case is WABM.

Since WBMA is the REAL primary station, why not choose 58 or 40?

Even WDBB could have been used, since its the other "repeater", since it rebroadcasts WTTO and WTTO itself is on 21. 17 would be nice, but it may result in it being either 16 or 18 with the status as a subchannel....

Sinclair is likely playing along with the FCC, and only after the viewers are confused to the extreme, they will grandstand to the FCC with an "I told you so!" speech....

Talk about a mess. Branded as 33/40, OTA on 68.2 and 17.2, and DirecTV moving to 67. I don't think that WVTM will have any trouble recapturing it's place as 2nd in the market if, when they get it, Hearst invests just a little in news and programming. Sounds like Sinclair wants this station to fall to #4 or #5. The absolute best thing they could have done was to move ABC to 21, CW to 68, and My to 58 LP with a subchannel on 68 and 17. Of course that is speaking as a spectator, I don't know what or why their rationale is for having ABC on a subchannel in a top 50 market. Evidently they must.

Sinclair never said anything about placing programming on the primary feed, everyone just assumed it would be on the .1 channel of WABM.

Talk about a mess. Branded as 33/40, OTA on 68.2 and 17.2, and DirecTV moving to 67. I don't think that WVTM will have any trouble recapturing it's place as 2nd in the market if, when they get it, Hearst invests just a little in news and programming. Sounds like Sinclair wants this station to fall to #4 or #5. The absolute best thing they could have done was to move ABC to 21, CW to 68, and My to 58 LP with a subchannel on 68 and 17. Of course that is speaking as a spectator, I don't know what or why their rationale is for having ABC on a subchannel in a top 50 market. Evidently they must.

Yes, it is crazy to put ABC programming on a .2 channel in a top 40 market, but the decision may not been Sinclair's. Looking through the Annual report of Sinclair, while they do not give an exact end date, The My NetworkTV affiliation doesn't end until sometime in the Fall of 2015.

Also, WBMA-LD HAS to say with ABC. Yes, it is a low power station, but as I mentioned earlier, the affiliation agreement considers any other stations as repeaters of the WBMA signals

Keeping the 33/40 branding is to maintain continuity to viewership during a transition period.

Such a mess considering the other options on the table to make things clear and 'fan' friendly to viewers.

ABC 21 or even ABC 17 would work nicely .. In my humble opinion.

With their current set and graphics I am afraid they could easily fall to last place. WIAT has made huge strides with their local news with their new branding several months ago, and is giving WBRC fox6 a run for their money.

Time will tell I guess.

Sinclair never said anything about placing programming on the primary feed, everyone just assumed it would be on the .1 channel of WABM.

Yes, it is crazy to put ABC programming on a .2 channel in a top 40 market, but the decision may not been Sinclair's. Looking through the Annual report of Sinclair, while they do not give an exact end date, The My NetworkTV affiliation doesn't end until sometime in the Fall of 2015.

Also, WBMA-LD HAS to say with ABC. Yes, it is a low power station, but as I mentioned earlier, the affiliation agreement considers any other stations as repeaters of the WBMA signals

Keeping the 33/40 branding is to maintain continuity to viewership during a transition period

My Network is not a network but a programming service, I wouldn't think it would be as hard to make changes such as major and minor channel moves on a programming service, versus a true network. They are doing the same thing in Charleston, placing the old WCIV on 36.2.

Such a mess considering the other options on the table to make things clear and 'fan' friendly to viewers.

ABC 21 or even ABC 17 would work nicely .. In my humble opinion.

With their current set and graphics I am afraid they could easily fall to last place. WIAT has made huge strides with their local news with their new branding several months ago, and is giving WBRC fox6 a run for their money.

Time will tell I guess.

It wont surprise me if they end up being the KNDL or WWJ of the Birmingham market. Wouldn't surprise me for news to eventually go away.

My Network is not a network but a programming service, I wouldn't think it would be as hard to make changes such as major and minor channel moves on a programming service, versus a true network. They are doing the same thing in Charleston, placing the old WCIV on 36.2.

Yes, but My Network TV only would let them out of the contract in a certain window after the conversion to a program service (which IIRC, Sinclair used in San Antonio).

It wont surprise me if they end up being the KNDL or WWJ of the Birmingham market. Wouldn't surprise me for news to eventually go away.

The difference is that in the two stations listed, both stations didn't have a news department before hand, and had to build from scratch. Sinclair is inheriting a station who has a news department. ABC requires news in order to affiliate with the network (how are they getting away without airing news at KDNL, I have no idea).

All of this said, I agree with you that Sinclair is making a mess of the situation, it is like they are thumbing their noses at the FCC on the new JSA/SSA rules, harming viewership in the process. I agree with you on the potential loss of viewership that this will cause. WJSU/WCFT already has issues with Nielsen.

IMO, I would also place ABC 33/40 on 68.2, but I would use the station to cover the area that WDBB doesn't reach, while having 17.1 as the primary station. That is how WMYA does in the portions of the Asheville market who cannot get WMYA, but can get WLOS.

The difference is that in the two stations listed, both stations didn't have a news department before hand, and had to build from scratch. Sinclair is inheriting a station who has a news department. ABC requires news in order to affiliate with the network (how are they getting away without airing news at KDNL, I have no idea).

I can answer that. The last time that Sinclair reupped their affiliation agreements with ABC, ABC gave Sinclair a set amount of time to set up some news program on KDNL to satisfy the minimum requirement that ABC gives to the rest of their affiliates (they also did the same with WXLV which also didn't have a news presence at the time).

https://stations.fcc.gov/collect/files/56524/Ownership%20Reports/Contracts%20and%20Agreements/Affiliation%20Agreements/ABC%20Affiliation%20Agreement%20%2814062346339380%29.pdf

WXLV eventually partnered up with Time Warner Cable's cable-only news channel News 14 to produce news for WXLV and KDNL eventually partnered up with KSDK to create StlNow. WXLV still partners with TWC and still airs that newscast. But at the beginning of the year for unknown reasons, KSDK severed their partnership with KDNL which left them scrambling with an alternative to satisfy that requirement again.

I imagine ABC is giving Sinclair another set amount of time for KDNL to do something to satisfy that news requirement. What Sinclair is doing now is anyone's guess and I'm pretty sure ABC's patience is running very short. There were rumors that something was in the works back in Spring (http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/columns/joe-holleman/kdnl-plans-to-resurrect-its-own-newscasts/article_a90d42cf-2765-5673-ad1f-7dbe540f1998.html) but nothing ever materialized.

Steering this conversation back on topic, I think Sinclair is going to keep the news operation in Birmingham because they're basically forced to.

Steering this conversation back on topic, I think Sinclair is going to keep the news operation in Birmingham because they're basically forced to.

Bringing this back to Birmingham, I don't think that Sinclair cares anything whether they are 1st or 7th place behind WUOA in Birmingham, they just did all of these shenanigans in Birmingham, Harrisburg, and Charleston to get their hands on WJLA, had it taken them giving up every single licence that Allbritiion owned, save for WJLA, I think they would have forfeited them to get this deal done. I do not see them investing anything in the news product that ABC 33/40/68.2/17.2/67/58 or where ever the hell they are produce. Probably will get this station and WCIV down to the bare minimum of whatever ABC requires to keep the affiliation. A bunch of greedy bastards, and still using Armstrong Williams in some way or another, I am sure they will get their hands on Channel 33, despite what the crooked mess of the FCC might like. It will never happen, but when their affiliation contract with ABC comes up for renewal, I wish that WUOA and the University of Alabama could snatch it away.

Bringing this back to Birmingham, I don't think that Sinclair cares anything whether they are 1st or 7th place behind WUOA in Birmingham, they just did all of these shenanigans in Birmingham, Harrisburg, and Charleston to get their hands on WJLA, had it taken them giving up every single licence that Allbritiion owned, save for WJLA, I think they would have forfeited them to get this deal done. I do not see them investing anything in the news product that ABC 33/40/68.2/17.2/67/58 or where ever the hell they are produce. Probably will get this station and WCIV down to the bare minimum of whatever ABC requires to keep the affiliation. A bunch of greedy bastards, and still using Armstrong Williams in some way or another, I am sure they will get their hands on Channel 33, despite what the crooked mess of the FCC might like. It will never happen, but when their affiliation contract with ABC comes up for renewal, I wish that WUOA and the University of Alabama could snatch it away.

Remember, none of this would have happened if the FCC didn't step their nose in and force the change in JSA/SSA policy. Mike Wheeler is as corrupt and as phony as they come, and he wrote the law that set up this damn mess in the first place.

And any thought of WUOA becoming the next ABC affiliate in Brimingham is a total waste of time, effort and energy. ABC sure as hell doesn't care, their affiliation in Brimingham didn't change... it's still WBMA-LD, where its always been since 1996. And S!nclair will continue to roll out a news product on WBMA+ regardless of the changes, probably as the same level as under Allbritton.

Remember' date=' none of this would have happened if the FCC didn't step their nose in and force the change in JSA/SSA policy. Mike Wheeler is as corrupt and as phony as they come, and [b']he wrote the law that set up this damn mess in the first place[/b].

And any thought of WUOA becoming the next ABC affiliate in Brimingham is a total waste of time, effort and energy. ABC sure as hell doesn't care, their affiliation in Brimingham didn't change... it's still WBMA-LD, where its always been since 1996. And S!nclair will continue to roll out a news product on WBMA+ regardless of the changes, probably as the same level as under Allbritton.

You are right the FCC commissioner is totally corrupt and has done a terrible job. My scenario was extreme, but that not withstanding, if ratings significantly drop between this change and renewal time, if UOA were willing to provide a better reverse compensation deal and offer to make any other needed changes, you still think ABC would stay with an under performing station and group unwilling to offer any improvements?

My scenario was extreme, but that not withstanding, if ratings significantly drop between this change and renewal time, if UOA were willing to provide a better reverse compensation deal and offer to make any other needed changes, you still think ABC would stay with an under performing station and group unwilling to offer any improvements?

I actually do, because WBMA+ is still part of the legacy groupwide ABC affiliation pact with Allbritton, so it's already bundled with WJLA. If S!nclair wanted to, they could bundle up WBMA+ and the Allbritton stations with WSYX and KOMO and cement that link for a generation.

The only real reason why KDNL remains the ABC affiliate is because S!nclair bundled it with WSYX.

And the only way WUOA becomes Brimingham's ABC affiliate, quite frankly, is if UoA sold it to Disney for $1. In other words, a deal so ridiculously sweetheart that the university literally gives the station away.

I actually do, because WBMA+ is still part of the legacy groupwide ABC affiliation pact with Allbritton, so it's already bundled with WJLA. If S!nclair wanted to, they could bundle up WBMA+ and the Allbritton stations with WSYX and KOMO and cement that link for a generation.

The only real reason why KDNL remains the ABC affiliate is because S!nclair bundled it with WSYX.

And the only way WUOA becomes Brimingham's ABC affiliate, quite frankly, is if UoA sold it to Disney for $1. In other words, a deal so ridiculously sweetheart that the university literally gives the station away.

If only WBRC could take the ABC affiliation once again. But I guess there happy with Fox.

If only WBRC could take the ABC affiliation once again. But I guess there happy with Fox.

WBRC has a ZERO reverse compensation deal with Fox through 2018, a sweetheart deal made by LocalTV (as noted above) that they'd be insane to give up.

By the time that ends, WBMA+ will be locked in with a multi-station ABC pact under S!nclair.

Looking at the Facebook comments, it looks like Directv moved ABC to channel 67 without letting anyone know.

Stupid move on DirecTV's part. If they were moving it to they should have moved it to 58 if anything. I think they have a policy of moving a .2 channel one above or below the major channel. However since WABM is just the translator of WBMA, it should of be on 58. I don't really know why it matters to DTV, they get a fibre feed to their POP in Birmingham anyway, not like they are grabbing the OTA signal and rebroadcasting off of 68.2.

Stupid move on DirecTV's part. If they were moving it to they should have moved it to 58 if anything. I think they have a policy of moving a .2 channel one above or below the major channel. However since WABM is just the translator of WBMA, it should of be on 58. I don't really know why it matters to DTV, they get a fibre feed to their POP in Birmingham anyway, not like they are grabbing the OTA signal and rebroadcasting off of 68.2.

It has never really made any sense. Didn't/doesn't Dish have them at channel 40? So, different channels depending on the satellite provider, and now DirecTV is moving them to 67 (which is weird in and of itself since their boxes support dashed channels)

Since WBMA is physically on channel 40, couldn't they swap back to using 40 in PSIP for 58.x? Then they could at least have an argument for keeping everything on channel 40 on Dish and DirecTV and possibly just drop to "ABC 40"

At this rate it completely makes no sense at all with the branding remaining ABC 33/40, being a sub-channel of 68, and 33/40's subchannels being randomly scattered among 17, 21, and 68. With DirecTV moving them to 67, there is not a single viewer in the DMA (except for maybe U-Verse customers) that will watch them on channel 33.

I have to think at some point there must be some rationalization of the branding and channel numbers.

Archived