KCET, KLCS to partner up

Guest Former Member 207

Guest Former Member 207

I know we don't talk a lot about PBS, but it looks like KCET and KLCS will enter a channel-sharing partnership, in which one of the two stations (it didn't signify which one, but it looks it'll be KLCS) will surrend 6 MHz of their broadcasting spectrum to the FCC, which would be part of a spectrum auction. Both station would maintain separate licences, and operate independently of each other.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/79139/kcet-klcs-in-channelsharing-partnership

I don't like the idea of this. I would feel a little different if we were in the UK or somewhere were they used DVB-T2 with a 40.2Mbps bitrate to carry one 720p feed and seven SD feeds.

I find it interesting that stations would throw away pat of there spectrum now for a temporary financial gain. It's a shame that the spectrum auction isn't set up like a lease where as a tv stations could now lease out the frequency to the wireless companies and they then could terminate the lease when their needs change.

Archived