NYC 9/11 13th Anniversary Coverage

NYNewser_676

I was looking through my FiOS tv guide for Thursday, and it has WCBS, WNYW, WWOR, WLNY, and WPIX scheduled for extended coverage, all the way through noon. WNBC doesn't have anything listed, and WABC only has 8:30-9am blocked. On TitanTV, it has a "reprise edition" of the 9/11/01 TODAY show scheduled, but isn't that usually preempted by WNBC? It also seems out of place for WABC to only have a half hour scheduled, while the program runs through noon, with moments of silence throughout the morning... thoughts?

I was looking through my FiOS tv guide for Thursday, and it has WCBS, WNYW, WWOR, WLNY, and WPIX scheduled for extended coverage, all the way through noon. WNBC doesn't have anything listed, and WABC only has 8:30-9am blocked. On TitanTV, it has a "reprise edition" of the 9/11/01 TODAY show scheduled, but isn't that usually preempted by WNBC? It also seems out of place for WABC to only have a half hour scheduled, while the program runs through noon, with moments of silence throughout the morning... thoughts?

I agree, those points you brought up about WABC and WNBC are very strange. And...is WNYW simulcasting coverage on WWOR? Have they always done that during 9/11 anniversary coverage?

I agree, those points you brought up about WABC and WNBC are very strange. And...is WNYW simulcasting coverage on WWOR? Have they always done that during 9/11 anniversary coverage?

I would imagine WWOR and WLNY will just have simulcast coverage from WNYW and WCBS, respectively.

I would imagine they're all covering it.. Not only would it completely out of line and disrespectful not to cover it but the backlash against the station would be like no other

We all remember the Kardashian fiasco at the Today show a year or two ago.

Odd if WABC cuts out at 9am. Remember in 2007 when they were heavily criticized publicly for trying to move coverage from Ch. 7 to their digital and web outlets? After a lot of pressure and viewer feedback, they decided to air the whole thing on Ch. 7 after all.

http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/wabc-tv-broadcast-entire-9-11-name-reading-ceremony-article-1.244056

Odd if WABC cuts out at 9am. Remember in 2007 when they were heavily criticized publicly for trying to move coverage from Ch. 7 to their digital and web outlets? After a lot of pressure and viewer feedback, they decided to air the whole thing on Ch. 7 after all.

http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/wabc-tv-broadcast-entire-9-11-name-reading-ceremony-article-1.244056

For WABC not to cover something as big as this is would be wrong, and WABC isn't like that. If they didn't cover the whole thing, I'd be completely SHOCKED.

Looking at WNBC's schedule, they have a replay of the Today show from 9/11/2001 airing from 8:30a - 12:30p, followed by News 4 NY at noon at 12:30p - 1:00p.

MSNBC does the same thing every year except they end at 12 Noon. What I would like to see one station do is for them to repair the evening newscasts from that day.

I'm probably going to get shit for this, but I think we've come far enough that every news station in the market airing wall-to-wall memorial coverage is unreasonable. 2007 was six years after the attack. We're approaching 13 years after the attack. If 47% of people had no objections to cutting back 7 years ago, I would be interested to know what that number is now. Probably much higher.

I'm not saying that the memorial is unimportant, and that stations should ignore it completely, but five or six local channels airing the same exact thing (Literally, since last I checked, it was produced by a pool) is not necessary in the least, especially in this day and age where people are more likely to tune in on a mobile device or computer than turn on a TV.

If WNBC and WABC actually do dump any amount of the memorial this year, expect other stations to follow suit next year, and the year after. My guess is that come 2016 it'll be available only on subchannels and WLNY. Remember, these stations are "losing" money every minute the memorial runs and they can't roll a commercial or put up a sponsor. The only reason it's gotten this far is because they didn't want to deal with a lot of complaints.

And I"M also probably gonna get a lot of shit for this, but I might gonna watch any of the memorials this year...but I'm not gonna care. I've reached the point where the 9/11 thing doesn't mean much to me anymore. The networks and stations are airing something that makes us feel sorry for the families that lost loved ones in tragedy. And yet I don't feel I lost something close from it anymore.

And, don't get me wrong, while I do feel sorry for them for losing their relatives in the attacks, I'm not in the position to mourn the loss of these victims. They're not related to me, but to their families. They should mourn their deaths, not us. It's not the networks' faults for this; they have to broadcast the memorials (because if they don't, people WILL complain), but the pain and heartbreak from this is too much for me to bear at this point.

I might watch, but without a lot of emotion.

I'm probably going to get shit for this, but I think we've come far enough that every news station in the market airing wall-to-wall memorial coverage is unreasonable. 2007 was six years after the attack. We're approaching 13 years after the attack. If 47% of people had no objections to cutting back 7 years ago, I would be interested to know what that number is now. Probably much higher.

I'm not saying that the memorial is unimportant, and that stations should ignore it completely, but five or six local channels airing the same exact thing (Literally, since last I checked, it was produced by a pool) is not necessary in the least, especially in this day and age where people are more likely to tune in on a mobile device or computer than turn on a TV.

If WNBC and WABC actually do dump any amount of the memorial this year, expect other stations to follow suit next year, and the year after. My guess is that come 2016 it'll be available only on subchannels and WLNY. Remember, these stations are "losing" money every minute the memorial runs and they can't roll a commercial or put up a sponsor. The only reason it's gotten this far is because they didn't want to deal with a lot of complaints.

And I"M also probably gonna get a lot of shit for this, but I might gonna watch any of the memorials this year...but I'm not gonna care. I've reached the point where the 9/11 thing doesn't mean much to me anymore. The networks and stations are airing something that makes us feel sorry for the families that lost loved ones in tragedy. And yet I don't feel I lost something close from it anymore.

And, don't get me wrong, while I do feel sorry for them for losing their relatives in the attacks, I'm not in the position to mourn the loss of these victims. They're not related to me, but to their families. They should mourn their deaths, not us. It's not the networks' faults for this; they have to broadcast the memorials (because if they don't, people WILL complain), but the pain and heartbreak from this is too much for me to bear at this point.

I might watch, but without a lot of emotion.

Two different responses.

What Weeters said, I agree with. Many years have passed, the memorial is still important as many American lives were lost and our nation was attacked that day. I think the best way to lessen coverage is to shorten it year to year, instead of dropping it completely right away.

As for ActionNewsLove's response, September 11th doesn't mean anything to you? You don't care that thousands of American lives were lost that day just because you didn't know any of them? You don't care that our freedom and everything else that our nation stands for was attacked that day? 9/11 stands for a lot more than people you don't know dying. I can't tell you how to feel, but as someone who is proud to be an American, I find your remarks to be in very poor taste.

Two different responses.

What Weeters said, I agree with. Many years have passed, the memorial is still important as many American lives were lost and our nation was attacked that day. I think the best way to lessen coverage is to shorten it year to year, instead of dropping it completely right away.

As for ActionNewsLove's response, September 11th doesn't mean anything to you? You don't care that thousands of American lives were lost that day just because you didn't know any of them? You don't care that our freedom and everything else that our nation stands for was attacked that day? 9/11 stands for a lot more than people you don't know dying. I can't tell you how to feel, but as someone who is proud to be an American, I find your remarks to be in very poor taste.

I find it difficult to shorten it at all, because then some names would be aired and some names wouldn't- also, all of the moments of silence wouldn't be aired...

I find it difficult to shorten it at all, because then some names would be aired and some names wouldn't- also, all of the moments of silence wouldn't be aired...

I don't remember how the memorial service is formatted, but if all the names are read without interruption, they could just cut away when that starts with a "Our coverage continues online/on [subchannel]". I could see them continuing to carry any remarks made by the President or other dignitaries for a long time to come, but I think the name reading will be the first part to go.

I don't remember how the memorial service is formatted, but if all the names are read without interruption, they could just cut away when that starts with a "Our coverage continues online/on [subchannel]". I could see them continuing to carry any remarks made by the President or other dignitaries for a long time to come, but I think the name reading will be the first part to go.

The name reading is basically the entire program

According to the optimum guide 2,5,9 and 11 are covering it until noon. Has anyone on WNBC or WABC mentioned any coverage? Usually they would in the days leading up.

WABC has been promoting it, and Bill Ritter basically said they would be covering the entire program... I think it originally was submitted incorrectly to the cable operators, but the over the air schedule has been updated... as for WNBC, I have not heard any prominent mention of it

I'd like one of the local stations to run the 9-11-01 coverage in real time, ether on a sub ch or a duopoly (WCBS) similar to what MSNBC has done with the Today show coverage. Start running the reels from 8:48 or 8:51 to around noon. Its very tearful but the real time coverage keeps the painful memories to not fade. With all the insanity in the world and knowing people personally who have no idea what 9-11 was, this would be a good idea.

Archived