The 69 News/WFMZ Thread

Mrknowitall526

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dan Skeldon has become one of my favorite people on 69 News.  He handled over an hour of tornado warnings yesterday with ease and kept calm, yet kind of excited in a way, with clear explanations of what we're seeing on the radar and also what a warning means vs. a watch.  Also, and maybe this is a weird way to judge people, but I know he did the weather in South Jersey for so long, but he's learned the geography of the Lehigh Valley really well in naming various locations on maps even when they're not labeled.  I think I like him better than I ever did Ed Hanna!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, LVForward said:

Started watching 69 News at 4 late today. Did they explain what is going on in their studio?  Lighting issues, no green screen for weather, no cam in traffic center,  background noises, etc.

Jim V just said there were problems, but didn't elaborate.

WOW!  Jamie Stover did stay longer than I expected.  Unlike WFMZ anchors and meteorologists/weather people who make a career here - reporters seem to come and go quickly, at least the good ones that is.  Jamie was clearly one of the best.  Best of Luck to her! 

On a side note -  this week marked the retirement of former WFMZ anchor David Murphy at WPVI.  Best Wishes to him, as well. 

21 hours ago, Mrknowitall526 said:

Jamie Stover posted on Facebook that she is leaving on Monday, but she is staying in the area.  Just trying something new.  Wonder what it is?

My guess: she joins the burgeoning community of real estate agents. Happened to two couples I or people I know have known and loved: Curt and Dee Miller formerly of Curt's Cyclery, whose closing was reported last month on 69News; and Tim and Hala Bonner, who operated the Taza (Eat Egyptian!) food truck and, briefly, a stand in the Easton Public Market.

4 hours ago, Bob-F said:

My guess: she joins the burgeoning community of real estate agents. Happened to two couples I or people I know have known and loved: Curt and Dee Miller formerly of Curt's Cyclery, whose closing was reported last month on 69News; and Tim and Hala Bonner, who operated the Taza (Eat Egyptian!) food truck and, briefly, a stand in the Easton Public Market.

The Lehigh Valley is one hot market.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
5 hours ago, LiveFromDelaware said:

WFMZ has officially launched their new graphics as of 4 PM today…

I  came here to post this.  They look really good!  They even updated the video backdrop scenes behind the anchors.  The added color looks really good back there and on the L3s.  Although, I don't see the local scenes like the Steelstacks that they had in the previous backdrop.

It was about time, the LEX package was getting kind of old.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mrknowitall526 said:

I  came here to post this.  They look really good!  They even updated the video backdrop scenes behind the anchors.  The added color looks really good back there and on the L3s.  Although, I don't see the local scenes like the Steelstacks that they had in the previous backdrop.

It was about time, the LEX package was getting kind of old.

I love it. It really shares a lot of elements from the outgoing CBS O&O Package which I know is from the same designer. 

The WLEX package was nice but as you said was pretty dated by this point. Looked like an old Giant Octopus package from the late-2000s.

On 5/4/2023 at 3:42 PM, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

I love it. It really shares a lot of elements from the outgoing CBS O&O Package which I know is from the same designer. 

The WLEX package was nice but as you said was pretty dated by this point. Looked like an old Giant Octopus package from the late-2000s.

Especially considering this is what the WLEX package replaced around 2012 or 2013...

I think they went from in-house to outsourcing but just my guess.

It's gorgeous.  The animations look really nice, too.  The only thing I don't like about the new weather graphics is the blue bar that stays at the top the whole time.  Here's the new open for the News at 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-nYjD1nnsM

• 4 months later...

'69 NEWS AT 8:00' to launch Sept. 25

- from wfmz.com

ALLENTOWN, Pa - 69 WFMZ-TV is thrilled to announce the debut of our brand-new 8 PM newscast, set to premiere on September 25th.

This expansion of our news programming is a significant milestone in our commitment to delivering timely, relevant, and high-quality news to our dedicated viewers.

The 8 PM newscast promises to be a dynamic addition to our lineup, providing viewers with an alternative prime time news source that fits their busy schedules.

Local Trending News

It will offer a comprehensive overview of the day's top stories, reports, weather updates, and more, all presented by our team of experienced and trusted journalists.

"We are excited to introduce the 8 PM newscast to our audience," said Barry Fisher, President, and GM, "In today's fast-paced world, people want access to news when it suits them best. With this new addition, we aim to meet the needs of our viewers and provide them with the information they need to stay informed.

Assistant GM and News Director Brad Rinehart said, “The goal of this prime-time newscast is to highlight the best work of our staff of veteran reporters and photojournalists each weeknight. Viewers will get a comprehensive overview of the most compelling stories of the day."

Viewers can tune in to 69 WFMZ-TV News At 8PM via cable, satellite, antenna, WFMZ+ streaming app and our website at WFMZ.com, ensuring they can stay up-to-date on the latest news from the comfort of their homes or while on the go.

69 WFMZ-TV has been a trusted source of news in our community for over 46 years, and this new addition to our programming lineup is a testament to our dedication to serving our viewers better than ever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrknowitall526 said:

I came here to post about this!  Not sure I see the need for this at 8 PM but it's certainly interesting...

Maybe it is simply cheaper than acquiring another major syndicated show similar to Rachael Ray or Dr.Phil which WFMZ previously aired.  Just a thought...

On 9/11/2023 at 11:50 PM, LVForward said:

Maybe it is simply cheaper than acquiring another major syndicated show similar to Rachael Ray or Dr.Phil which WFMZ previously aired.  Just a thought...

I was thinking that.  Just saw a promo, looks like it'll be Rob solo without Wendy.

• 2 weeks later...

I just fast forwarded through 69 News at 8.  I guess if you didn't catch the news from 4-6:30, it would be new information.  Otherwise it was all the same stories (and recordings of them, no live hits)... which I'm not surprised by, not much can happen in an hour and a half!  Then there was a weather report and a teaser for the news at 10.  Rob Vaughan by himself and Dan Skeldon with the weather.  No sports report which was also interesting.

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, AdamStabelli1 said:

So 69 News at 8 will have a new anchor. 

Dayne Marae will be joining the newscast. No word on if she’s replacing Rob Vaughn as WFMZ didn’t make that clear in their announcement. 

So we should anticipate a new weekend anchor…