The 69 News/WFMZ Thread

Mrknowitall526

Glad to see WFMZ standing behind Ed while he deals with his personal challenges. One of the strengths at WFMZ is it's commitment to their team - the Family Minded Zone seems to be much more than just a tagline for this Christian-based broadcast group.

Wondering how DaVinci is handling Ed's absence from WFMZ's Accu-Weather school program.

I just can't believe that people thought he was KIDNAPPED. What is wrong with people??

And, I don't think having Berks sports coverage with someone else is at all strange. It's so far from the regular news room and there's no way they could have the same team of people cover everything, especially including video footage. Berks County is huge.

• Like 1

I think Joy & Jaciel could work - if given the time to build their on-air rapport. As for Dan - previously Troy and even the short-lived Bryan (now at Sands owner Sheldon Adelson's Las Vegas Review-Journal) usually had Berks sports handled from the Berks newsroom, so that's pretty much status quo.

I just can't believe that people thought he was KIDNAPPED. What is wrong with people??

And, I don't think having Berks sports coverage with someone else is at all strange. It's so far from the regular news room and there's no way they could have the same team of people cover everything, especially including video footage. Berks County is huge.

Ever since Dan took over sports director/lead sports anchor, he has continued to handles Berks sports from the Lehigh Valley studio. This week was the first instance I saw otherwise. While I never said it’s strange to have a separate person from the Berks bureau (I know that’s how they used to do it), it just seems unnecessary. They don’t have a separate news anchor team doing the Berks news from the Berks bureau, do they?

That being said, glad to see they’re building up the sports department with young and capable talent.

I have previously expressed my feelings on the unique tone that 69News commentary takes. Mr. Dean has every right to express his opinion on his station - as does Sinclair on their stations (I only wish Sinclair had expressed their opinion themselves and not forced their employees to do it for them - that's another story for another time).

What gets my goat today is the the WFMZ.com Commentary Survey at the very bottom of the webpage. If you really want to poll the opinion of your viewers why slant the only 2 possible answers instead of giving the choice of two valid opinions or simply making the poll agree/disagree with the stated commentary.

WFMZ / Mr. Dean - if you don't care about our opinion - why bother asking??

For example:

Commentary Survey: On-Air Commentary Appears at 10:27PM, Weeknights

Some say that Senator Chuck Schumer would have done whatever he could to deny the confirmation of Mike Pompeo as Secretary of State.

Senator Schumer worked to bottle up the vote for Pompeo, who helped set up the President's talks with Kim, to save world peace. - 89%

Schumer was within his rights to keep Trump from having a victory with North Korea's Kim Jong Un. - 11%

• 4 weeks later...

Last Friday Will Lewis was filling in for both. I don't understand why Jim & Melanie don't fill in when either Rob or Wendy is off. Although Jim did fill in with Wendy on election night last week.

The fill in situations are so random and make zero sense.

Last Friday Will Lewis was filling in for both. I don't understand why Jim & Melanie don't fill in when either Rob or Wendy is off. Although Jim did fill in with Wendy on election night last week.

The fill in situations are so random and make zero sense.

Joy filled in at 4 for Jim yesterday, but Wendy was solo at 5,5:30, and 6. Not sure why they feel 4pm needs two anchors but 5 and on are fine with one. Random indeed.

Freddy Awards without Ed Hanna is like Peanut Butter without Jelly. Still good, but not as GREAT. Kudos to Eve for a strong performance. But as they should have said - "The role of Ed Hanna will be played tonight by Eve Russo." We miss you Ed!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds fishy like an "Ed Hanna was forced out from WFMZ, station ain't talking about it"-type of situation because if he's been gone this long, it sounds to me that WFMZ forced him out, not just sounding on his health issues considering that he's still not back on the station.

Ed Hanna has now been removed from the WFMZ website.  Still nothing official from the station. 

Maybe he is with Rick Edwards who also mysteriously disappeared from East Rock Road never to be heard from again. 

Traffic and Weather together.

Edited by LVForward
addition

6 hours ago, LVForward said:

Ed Hanna has now been removed from the WFMZ website.  Still nothing official from the station. 

Maybe he is with Rick Edwards who also mysteriously disappeared from East Rock Road never to be heard from again. 

Traffic and Weather together.

That's the exact thing I was talking about in the post above you.

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, ddaniels20 said:

Not sure when this happened, but it appears WFMZ's morning news has been expanded until 10am. It is just called "69 News at 9:00" rather than "Live at Sunrise" (which probably makes sense as it is well after sunrise).

I can cofirm this after watching today's broadcast on WFMZ's on-demand stream via SBTV. Looks all traditional which makes me question why they couldn't just use LIVE at Sunrise for the 9AM hour if they use the same name at 5, 6, 7 and 8AM. Its not like the 9AM is different from the other hours, at least from what I saw.