The 69 News/WFMZ Thread

Mrknowitall526

Well with all the recent departures at WFMZ, we should also be mentioning a new addition, sort of. Congratulations to morning anchor Eve Russo and her husband, Nolan, on the birth of their daughter, Maeve Tanner Russo, earlier this week. Eve posted pictures on her Facebook page along with the announcement.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I find it incredible how incredibly successful they have been over the years certainly considering that it seems to somewhat be a hotbed for great journalism and somehow great local ownership. I know this probably won't happen, but for whatever reason, if the station ever was on the selling block, what do you think would happen to WFMZ?

• Like 2

I find it incredible how incredibly successful they have been over the years certainly considering that it seems to somewhat be a hotbed for great journalism and somehow great local ownership. I know this probably won't happen, but for whatever reason, if the station ever was on the selling block, what do you think would happen to WFMZ?

I'd honestly like to see either Hearst or Cox in charge- the former because their stations still have strong local identities and personalities despite standardization and network branding, the latter because of their family ownership and lack of standardization- outside of the disaster are that is WFXT, they run their stations competently and with minimal oversight, so WFMZ wouldn't be all that different under Cox.

• Like 1

It's mostly because in the Lehigh Valley, we're often forgotten by the Philly stations unless something really dramatic or gruesome happens. So we have nowhere else to turn for local news except for the Morning Call or Express Times newspapers, the latter of which is a sad excuse for a paper.

WFMZ does a good job, but I think they could do even better and get even more hyper-local with the news. But they'd need a larger staff for that and that probably wouldn't happen.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just happened to turn my TV on to METV channel 2 the other day, around 2:45 PM, and Joy and Jaciel were giving a news update from the PPL Center studio during the commercial break of whatever show was on. The backdrops behind them even used the METV logo. I thought it was really interesting.

• Like 2

I just happened to turn my TV on to METV channel 2 the other day, around 2:45 PM, and Joy and Jaciel were giving a news update from the PPL Center studio during the commercial break of whatever show was on. The backdrops behind them even used the METV logo. I thought it was really interesting.

That's because the company that owns the station -- Maranatha Broadcasting Company, now also owns KJWP -- the area's MeTV station; so the updates can air there no problem.

• Like 1

That's because the company that owns the station -- Maranatha Broadcasting Company, now also owns KJWP -- the area's MeTV station; so the updates can air there no problem.

No, I know that, I just thought it was interesting since KJWP has no news at all, and didn't before. Also isn't it licensed to Wilmington, DE? What a large reach they now have for the news updates

No, I know that, I just thought it was interesting since KJWP has no news at all, and didn't before.

Oh? Okay, cause I read your post as if you didn't.

Sorry, I didn't know.

And it's really not that interesting (at least to me), because the station has aired news and public affairs shows before, courtesy of former WCAU/KYW anchor and email snooper Larry Mendte.

Also isn't it licensed to Wilmington, DE? What a large reach they now have for the news updates

Yes, it is licensed to Wilmimgton, but a license is different from a station's coverage AFAIK. I do agree that these updates definitely do give a bigger reach to across the Delaware Valley.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Is Alexandra Hogan permanent on the noon newscast or does Eve plan on returning eventually? Why not just give it to Joy Howe?

When is Ed Hanna coming back?

Also odd is the randomness in which they utilize fill-ins.

It's so very random. Sometimes Eve and/or Jaciel is ALONE for 4 hours - though has not happened I don't think since Eve returned. Sometimes Rob or Wendy is off and they anchor alone, sometimes they have a fill-in. Makes no sense to me. I prefer them together.

Is Alexandra Hogan permanent on the noon newscast or does Eve plan on returning eventually? Why not just give it to Joy Howe?

When is Ed Hanna coming back?

Also odd is the randomness in which they utilize fill-ins.

At the end of today's 12PM news, Alex Hogan mentioned it was her last day on the noon show and said Jaciel would have a new co-anchor on Monday. They did not say who it would be, though.

At the end of today's 12PM news, Alex Hogan mentioned it was her last day on the noon show and said Jaciel would have a new co-anchor on Monday. They did not say who it would be, though.

Joy Howe has been with Jaciel this week at noon. I wonder if she is permanent or temporary until Eve is ready to do the noon. Hope they use Alexandria Hogan as a fill-in in the mornings.

Noticed that Dan Moscaritolo doesn’t always handle Berks edition while handling the other newscasts. Do they really need two sports anchors weekdays?

• Like 2

Joy Howe has been with Jaciel this week at noon. I wonder if she is permanent or temporary until Eve is ready to do the noon. Hope they use Alexandria Hogan as a fill-in in the mornings.

Noticed that Dan Moscaritolo doesn’t always handle Berks edition while handling the other newscasts. Do they really need two sports anchors weekdays?

I think Joy & Jaciel could work - if given the time to build their on-air rapport. As for Dan - previously Troy and even the short-lived Bryan (now at Sands owner Sheldon Adelson's Las Vegas Review-Journal) usually had Berks sports handled from the Berks newsroom, so that's pretty much status quo.

new update from Ed Hanna:

Glad to see WFMZ standing behind Ed while he deals with his personal challenges. One of the strengths at WFMZ is it's commitment to their team - the Family Minded Zone seems to be much more than just a tagline for this Christian-based broadcast group.

Wondering how DaVinci is handling Ed's absence from WFMZ's Accu-Weather school program.