The 69 News/WFMZ Thread

Mrknowitall526

Was his bio ever up there? I tried looking once and I couldn't find it. The way their talent comes and goes, it's probably hard to keep that updated!

Although his personal twitter is current - his WFMZ facebook page hasn't been updated since June 19th and the link to his bio from there goes to a "page not found".

Jim & Alexandra seem like good additions so far. Which probably means they won't be here long.

I'm surprised that Jamie Stover and Hillary Lane are still around - they are some of the best reporters currently. Although I think Hillary Lane is from the area, so this might be where she wants to be.

Was his bio ever up there? I tried looking once and I couldn't find it. The way their talent comes and goes, it's probably hard to keep that updated!

I don't have any confirms on this, but would venture to guess that something suddenly opened up in Salmond's previous venue, Boston, and that 69 was left holding a bag. Looks like they'll try to fudge something through till, say, August 1st?

Another hint that Bryan may have already left the station. The video announcing his debut as sports director has been taken down from WFMZ.com. Also Wendy Davis posted this photo as her cover photo on Facebook June 8

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154245313599513

Yesterday she updated it to this

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s526x395/13567242_10154322831914513_3687391827770992701_n.jpg?oh=e2467d26a201fe29f00ca08cbeab3e2f&oe=57E9D703

Notice anyone cropped out?

• Like 4

Another hint that Bryan may have already left the station. The video announcing his debut as sports director has been taken down from WFMZ.com. Also Wendy Davis posted this photo as her cover photo on Facebook June 8

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154245313599513

Yesterday she updated it to this

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s526x395/13567242_10154322831914513_3687391827770992701_n.jpg?oh=e2467d26a201fe29f00ca08cbeab3e2f&oe=57E9D703

Notice anyone cropped out?

Hm ... strange! Just found his Twitter page and he has been tweeting, but nothing about the station.

• 2 weeks later...

FMZ has 3 people at the RNC in Cleveland -- seems a little overkill to me? Wendy Davis being one of them.

It's strange -- when either Rob or Wendy are off, it's just solo with the other. But right now, Rob is off and Wendy is at the RNC, so Jim & Joy did all the newscasts this afternoon, and also tonight. Why can't one of them fill in for Rob or Wendy on a regular basis?? Their substitute policies make no sense! I really hate when Eve or Jaciel anchor a 4 hour morning newscast by themselves.

EDIT: Wendy scored an interview with Dan Rather. That's interesting.

• Like 1

FMZ has 3 people at the RNC in Cleveland -- seems a little overkill to me? Wendy Davis being one of them.

It's strange -- when either Rob or Wendy are off, it's just solo with the other. But right now, Rob is off and Wendy is at the RNC, so Jim & Joy did all the newscasts this afternoon, and also tonight. Why can't one of them fill in for Rob or Wendy on a regular basis?? Their substitute policies make no sense! I really hate when Eve or Jaciel anchor a 4 hour morning newscast by themselves.

Possibly they have 3 there in Cleveland becuase when they have 3 reporters in philly it wont seem like they are favoring one convention over another.

• Like 1

The Philly stations haven't even sent that much talent to the RNC. Yes, they have network coverage to supplement - where WFMZ is independent, but WFMZ has CNN Newsource.

I always wondered if it was a contractual thing (or just an ego thing) that Rob & Wendy only anchor their broadcasts with each other or solo. The only time I can remember seeing them with anyone else was when they fill-in @ 4pm, or during extended snowstorm coverage. I agree about Sunrise as well, 4 hours is much too long to be alone at the desk.

PS - Day 14 since I noticed Bryan Salmond being MIA. As far as I know there still has been no mention made on-air. This could be a great "Ask the Anchors" question for the Sunrise team "not-to-answer" (like the Rick Edwards question was.)

• Like 2

KYW sent Jessica Dean, and former aide to George W. Bush Alison Young to Cleveland, as well as having Ed Rendell in studio as an analyst during the 11pm news.

Not sure here - is Alison Young a KYW reporter - she is not on the website? ...and technically isn't Ed Rendell a MSNBC Political Contributor? So, they really only have 1 in Cleveland.

Not sure here - is Alison Young a KYW reporter - she is not on the website? ...and technically isn't Ed Rendell a MSNBC Political Contributor? So, they really only have 1 in Cleveland.

No, Alison's not a KYW reporter, and I'm sure KYW has their connections to Rendell in addition to the MSNBC responsibilities.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone know what happened to Bryan Salmond, WFMZ's new Sports Director? He seems to be MIA. His bio is gone from the website as well. I may have just missed his departure if it was over the holiday weekend...or maybe he is just hanging out with Rick Edwards.

Still don't know about Bryan - but Wendy just used the words "Sports Director Dan Moscaritolo." Additionally, the website has been updated to reflect Dan's promotion. CONGRATS DAN!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

WFMZ is now showing first-run episodes of "Harry" at 9am and also Rachel Ray at 3pm. They are the current day's shows and NOT a few days behind like Dr. Phil is. Rachel Ray actually really surprises me - she's got a pretty successful show. And to show at 3pm is a good time slot. Makes me wonder how many other national big shows WFMZ could afford.

• 2 weeks later...

TVSpy reports ...

Kansas City Station Hires Weekend Co-Anchor

By Kevin Eck on Sep. 30, 2016 - 11:54 AM

Keleigh-Gibbs-KMBC-9-News.jpg

Keleigh Gibbs has been hired by Kansas City ABC affiliate KMBC as a weekend co-anchor.

Gibbs comes from WFMZ in Allentown, Pa. where she was a reporter.

“I already feel so incredibly welcome here in Kansas City,” said Gibbs. “I’m excited and grateful to be back in the Midwest contributing to the outstanding journalistic legacy of KMBC 9 News.”

Before working at WFMZ, Gibbs worked at TouchVision in Chicago. She’s also worked at WXMI in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

TVSpy reports ...

Kansas City Station Hires Weekend Co-Anchor

By Kevin Eck on Sep. 30, 2016 - 11:54 AM

Keleigh-Gibbs-KMBC-9-News.jpg

Keleigh Gibbs has been hired by Kansas City ABC affiliate KMBC as a weekend co-anchor.

Gibbs comes from WFMZ in Allentown, Pa. where she was a reporter.

“I already feel so incredibly welcome here in Kansas City,” said Gibbs. “I’m excited and grateful to be back in the Midwest contributing to the outstanding journalistic legacy of KMBC 9 News.”

Before working at WFMZ, Gibbs worked at TouchVision in Chicago. She’s also worked at WXMI in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I've seen a few new faces lately so I'd wondered who left.

I hate that we get this "good talent" and then they leave! But I suppose that's the nature of the beast.

They debuted "Quadcopter 69" on the news this morning and also just now on the news at 5. A drone operated by Lehigh Valley Drones. They flew it live over Route 22. The operator said he worked with news helicopters in DC and has been interested in broadcasting since then. It sounded like he actually approached WFMZ about it, citing a lack of news helicopter in the Valley.

I think it's great, it was a neat shot to see aerial views of 22 @ Airport Road, something we don't see often around here! I wonder how often and what they will use it for.

• Like 3

They debuted "Quadcopter 69" on the news this morning and also just now on the news at 5. A drone operated by Lehigh Valley Drones. They flew it live over Route 22. The operator said he worked with news helicopters in DC and has been interested in broadcasting since then. It sounded like he actually approached WFMZ about it, citing a lack of news helicopter in the Valley.

I think it's great, it was a neat shot to see aerial views of 22 @ Airport Road, something we don't see often around here! I wonder how often and what they will use it for.

Quadcopter 69? That sounds pretty badass for a drone. I could see it getting usage, given WFMZ could never get a helicopter unless it was bought out by Hearst (which had a love affair with copters back in the late 90s/early 2000s while on their buying/merging spree).

• Like 1

Quadcopter 69? That sounds pretty badass for a drone. I could see it getting usage, given WFMZ could never get a helicopter unless it was bought out by Hearst (which had a love affair with copters back in the late 90s/early 2000s while on their buying/merging spree).

I know, right (on the name) ?!

Here's a link to the article about it: http://www.wfmz.com/news/sunrise/69-news-unveils-traffic-drone-quadcopter-69/41929868

This is typical of WFMZ -- they've always been first to find creative ways to do the news on a small budget, and then the larger operations start doing the same. I wouldn't be surprised to see bigger-market stations supplement their choppers with drones or replace them entirely in the coming months/years.