The 69 News/WFMZ Thread

Mrknowitall526

I've also noticed two things: one, there's now one of those overhead cameras on a track in the South Mountain set, like WABC, and the Traffic Center still has wall decor matching the graphics from 2005-ish, when the set debuted; you'd think they would've changed that by now.

I've also noticed two things: one, there's now one of those overhead cameras on a track in the South Mountain set, like WABC, and the Traffic Center still has wall decor matching the graphics from 2005-ish, when the set debuted; you'd think they would've changed that by now.

I'm waiting for the time when the traffic report is done in front of the green screen and not the way it is now. The traffic reports they have a really high quality and interactive, I love the traffic flow maps and the drive times - which actually update in real time.

The late news last night suffered quite a bit of technical snafus- the big curved in-wall monitors kept going to partial static, so they had to bring in a plasma screen on wheels for side shots, which Mark then delivered his forecast on after the sports (apparently the chroma-key was down too); the sport report had Dave looking at his script a lot, so there may have been prompter issues as well. Chandi apologized for the snafus, but didn't specify a cause of all the glitches.

The late news last night suffered quite a bit of technical snafus- the big curved in-wall monitors kept going to partial static, so they had to bring in a plasma screen on wheels for side shots, which Mark then delivered his forecast on after the sports (apparently the chroma-key was down too); the sport report had Dave looking at his script a lot, so there may have been prompter issues as well. Chandi apologized for the snafus, but didn't specify a cause of all the glitches.

I remember one time they had some BIG technical issues for the 10 pm news and just re-broadcast the 6 pm show with a crawl at the bottom stating why!

• 3 weeks later...

Not really related to 69 News, but WFMZ aired a syndicated morning talk/entertainment show from 9-10AM called "The Daily Buzz". It was in 150-some markets around the country and was canceled Friday--not because of ratings, but because an investor pulled out. It was on for 13 years. WFMZ is now airing some more judge/court shows in its place.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/tv-guy/os-daily-buzz-canceled-20150417-post.html

Not really related to 69 News, but WFMZ aired a syndicated morning talk/entertainment show from 9-10AM called "The Daily Buzz". It was in 150-some markets around the country and was canceled Friday--not because of ratings, but because an investor pulled out. It was on for 13 years. WFMZ is now airing some more judge/court shows in its place.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/tv-guy/os-daily-buzz-canceled-20150417-post.html

As the morning show that have once aired in The CW Plus and Soul of the South Network, it's really surprising.

Honestly, they need more sitcoms. Get, for instance, Corner Gas from CTV. That could do well with the rural audiences in the outlying areas. And get some cartoons, like SWAT Kats or something to fill out gaps, like on weekend mornings.

Wow, that's a shock and so sudden.

I feel sorry for the co-anchors and crew to find out this way, and now have to find jobs.

Was a nice show too, from the times I've watched. It had a good run.

Just what 69 needs is MORE judge and court shows! They show at least 4 episodes of Judge Judy in a day.

This is a crock of bullcrap. But Judge Judy is popular and the #1 courtroom show in syndication. They need to fill in patches some way and this does seem logical. But even then the station does need to air other shows soon (and not other courtroom shows).

Honestly, they need more sitcoms. Get, for instance, Corner Gas from CTV. That could do well with the rural audiences in the outlying areas. And get some cartoons, like SWAT Kats or something to fill out gaps, like on weekend mornings.

Agreed. THIS x10

The owners are very religious (name is "Marantha Broadcasting Company" which if you don't know is a rough translation of "Come, O Lord") so I bet that might dictate some of what they air. On the weekends they definitely air a lot of religious shows.

At 8 PM every night they show Dr. Phil, and 9 PM Steve Harvey. But the Dr. Phil episode they air at 8 PM is from the previous day, almost like it's a 2nd run?? Possibly because a Philly station also airs Dr. Phil? And this week's Steve Harvey episodes (just checked) are from 2 weeks ago. Odd.

I often thought it would be a neat idea for them to branch out into original, local programming - like LOCAL dramas or comedies, starring local people, about local things. I think it would be interesting, especially since there are so many artsy-type programs (at Muhlenburg College or Moravian College, for instance). Probably expensive though.

The owners are very religious (name is "Marantha Broadcasting Company" which if you don't know is a rough translation of "Come, O Lord") so I bet that might dictate some of what they air. On the weekends they definitely air a lot of religious shows.

At 8 PM every night they show Dr. Phil, and 9 PM Steve Harvey. But the Dr. Phil episode they air at 8 PM is from the previous day, almost like it's a 2nd run?? Possibly because a Philly station also airs Dr. Phil? And this week's Steve Harvey episodes (just checked) are from 2 weeks ago. Odd.

I often thought it would be a neat idea for them to branch out into original, local programming - like LOCAL dramas or comedies, starring local people, about local things. I think it would be interesting, especially since there are so many artsy-type programs (at Muhlenburg College or Moravian College, for instance). Probably expensive though.

They have Steve Harvey from 2 weeks ago because WCAU 10 carries the first-run episodes. I think KYW 3 carries first-run of Dr. Phil, but I might be wrong.

I've had some time off this week, and find it really irritating that at least 3 times this week they have aired the exact same packaged report on a story that aired at 10 pm the night before, at noon the next day. They must feel that their respective audiences are too mutually exclusive to notice/care.

It definitely appears that second run episodes on WFMZ are two weeks delayed after checking the original air date. I've wondered in the past why the episodes WBAL airs at 3AM are not the prior days and you helped me make the connection. It appears this is the case at most of the NBC stations that carry first run episodes of the show (including WCAU) air these second run episodes at 3AM.

Would WCAU's second run overnights infringe on WFMZ's "exclusivity" or do second runs not include this protection? I assume the 3AM viewing brings in so little in viewership that WFMZ simply does not care or has no legal standing combined with the fact that Steve Harvey is distributed by NBCUniversal.

It appears that NBCUniversal TV Distribution requires / urges many stations that air first run episodes to air the second run episodes as well on either their main channel or a duopoly when they can. One example is WFTV's first run at 9 AM and WRDQ's second run at 9 PM.

• 1 month later...

Only in Allentown does an anchor have to do a 4-hour morning show solo for 5 days. Eve has been off since last Wednesday and Jaciel has gone solo from 5-9AM!

I think I saw Jamie Stover anchoring with Jaciel a few of those days. I did not see her this morning, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Will Butler is filling in for Jaciel at noon today - not sure if he was on in the morning or not. I think he is okay, but could be better ... he doesn't seem to speak with a "flow" but rather you can tell he is reading one word at time...if that makes any sense!

Will Butler is filling in for Jaciel at noon today - not sure if he was on in the morning or not. I think he is okay, but could be better ... he doesn't seem to speak with a "flow" but rather you can tell he is reading one word at time...if that makes any sense!

Don't you mean Will Lewis- he was the reporter at my school a few months back.

• 1 month later...

They seem to be experimenting with fill-in anchors. In the past several weeks I've seen Will Lewis, Ryan Hughes, and just this past week Jamie Stover and today Rosa Duarte. I guess maybe they're just still short staffed since Melanie Falcon is still out on maternity leave...