The 69 News/WFMZ Thread

Mrknowitall526

11p......

6abc did a nice job juggling the press conference and not letting the Governors speech talk over the 11p news. Ok job.

NBC10 did an excellent job. Good story telling and good reporting. They didn't stick with the press conference, but they turned around highlights quickly.

CBS3 not in the game.

WNEP owned it locally. Best medium market station around. I need see some WBRE video on CNN.

WFMZ did a nice public service by running the entire press conference at 11p. It is not great news coverage, but a nice public service. Their news judgement seems from a different era. It is now actually boring TV.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Saw on the 6PM report what looked like a portion of the new set; a reporter was stationed outside the PPL center, and I could see a giant video wall playing promos on a loop for the 4PM report, and a glass desk with the logo on it; it was in the background, so I couldn't see more.

Saw on the 6PM report what looked like a portion of the new set; a reporter was stationed outside the PPL center, and I could see a giant video wall playing promos on a loop for the 4PM report, and a glass desk with the logo on it; it was in the background, so I couldn't see more.

Missed that! What was the report about? Maybe it's up online already.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up tomorrow February 16th is suppose to be the debut of the noon show from the new PPL Center studio. The noon newscast will be broadcast from the studio everyday, the other newscasts will continue to be broadcast from the main studio on South Mountain.

Only the noon show at PPL Center? That stinks! Wish they'd picked 5 or 6.

KCRA 3 did their noon news from a mall in Downtown Sacramento. WXYZ 7 is scheduled to do the news at noon from a future Downtown Detroit hotspot. It's kinda common out there that the noon news is sometimes done from a different location, other than the main studio.

Yeah, they didn't say anything about it at all! And, it looked like the weather team was still back at the regular studio. They just showed them in a split screen with "Weather Center" and "Newscenter" written on the top. I don't get it- are they making a full move downtown, and this is to try it out, or they will keep two studios? I'm not sure, really, how there would be room for a newsroom and all the other stuff at the PPL Center - but I don't get the purpose of a 30 minute broadcast from the PPL Center, either, at a newscast that not everyone will see.

Only the noon show at PPL Center? That stinks! Wish they'd picked 5 or 6.

The 5 OR 6 would be difficult as they are anchored by the same duo so they would both need to be there or neither. However the 4pm would be perfect as it uses different anchors and it's got the "social" touch.

I still don't understand why they don't use Jim or Melanie as subs for the 5,6, or 10 when Rob or Wendy are off. Haven't noticed if the 4pm uses any subs.

So there was a report about the new studio on the news at 6 on Friday night. The only people in the studio during the broadcast are Eve & Jaciel - because of the the small space, everything is controlled by the regular control room on South Mountain, including the cameras, lights, and video wall. When they switch over to the weather they show a split screen with "PPL Center Studio" and "Weather Center" and surprisingly there is NO delay between the two spots. They must have a pretty hefty fiber connection between the two locations, especially to be able to control the cameras remotely from 5+ miles away.

Reporter Will Lewis and a cameraman named Albert (who has been at WFMZ since 1995) visited my school, Warren County Tech, today for a feature on our robotics team; the report will air tonight at 6PM and will also appear online. I also gleaned several bits of info: WFMZ is equipped with 8 live trucks, and apparently are now using 5-6 LiveU backpacks; the PPL Center studio is apparently accompanied by a smaller newsroom, while fiber-optics are indeed the link between PPL and South Mountain. They also use Quantel for editing, as opposing to our TV/Radio program using Sony Vegas.

Reporter Will Lewis and a cameraman named Albert (who has been at WFMZ since 1995) visited my school, Warren County Tech, today for a feature on our robotics team; the report will air tonight at 6PM and will also appear online. I also gleaned several bits of info: WFMZ is equipped with 8 live trucks, and apparently are now using 5-6 LiveU backpacks; the PPL Center studio is apparently accompanied by a smaller newsroom, while fiber-optics are indeed the link between PPL and South Mountain. They also use Quantel for editing, as opposing to our TV/Radio program using Sony Vegas.

That's really interesting, I wonder what they plan to do with the newsroom at PPL Center?

Is 8 live trucks a lot? How many do the Philly stations have?