NBC Nightly News

tvnewsjunkie

Lester is one of the hardest working anchors/reporters there is. I’m sure if he didn’t want to be out in cold at the Super Bowl he wouldn’t be or at the Olympics where he’s probably was coming from or near one of the dedicated stand up locations. Plus it’s not like he’s working outside the entire time. Him and the entire crew work inside and go outside when needed. I’m sure if it’s cold enough he would be inside a building or a truck during the commercial breaks.

Both at the Super Bowl and the Olympics those stand up locations although outdoors they have those large commercial gas powered heaters. The big kind that’s like a high powered fan and heat a large surrounding area.

The same type of thing goes for the Hollywood Squares setup that the NBC affiliates use - there are large heaters. Those standup positions benefit from having walls on three sides and what looked like a transparent roll down wall.

Hope he get better.

Interesting that Dylan Dteyer had the flu at the start of the Games during her first week in South Korea

The flu has been widespread in the US affecting more than normal. I think the same goes for South Korea. When Dylan started feeling bad they quarantined her to her room.

Part of me thinks Lester was coming down from something rather than being all out sick when he went home. If he was really sick I don’t think he would work two days.

It sounds like the flu was going around the Super Bowl. One of the highlighted comments for me on Instagram on Lester’s flu pic was Jim Rosenfield. He came down with it when he got back. It makes sense people from all over the country and world coming to Minneapolis. And this was at the time when they were running endless flu stories.

With Dylan Dreyer getting it right as she arrives in PyeongChang sounds like she caught it at the Super Bowl. According to the CDC the typical incubation period is 1-4 Days (average of 2), a person can transmit the virus one day before they develop symptoms and upto a week after they recover. So it sounds like Dylan caught it at the Super Bowl and got sick in PyeongChang but was quarantined.

I heard of other people getting sick at the Olympics. It’s not that surprising as everyone’s working and living in close quarters. Back in Rio the media people from station groups all share an apartment or two per group and I imagine it’s the same in PyeongChang. Of course I expect stars like Lester to have his own room or hotel. In the media village where space is at a premium people are practically stacked on top of each other it wouldn’t be surprising if it was filled with germs. The primary way of transmitting the virus is through coughing and sneezing - causing large particle droplets - which travel around a meter. So imagine your at one of those long desks at the IBC and someone sneezes everyone immediately next to, across or catty corner to them is at risk.

But enough about being the transmission of the flu.

Here’s Lester and his puppy, soup from Dateline colleagues and tamiflu recovering. Hopes to be back tomorrow.

[MEDIA=instagram]BfeEkbcHBCs[/MEDIA]

• Like 5

For the first time since the 1992 summer games, NBC Nightly News LOST to ABC in both weeks of the ratings race. What’s more, is that NBC’s numbers are down compared to last year, even with the lift it’s supposed to get from the Olympics.

That all said, NBC continues to win in the all important 25-54 demo.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/evening-news-ratings-week-of-feb-12-2/358255

For the first time since the 1992 summer games, NBC Nightly News LOST to ABC in both weeks of the ratings race. What’s more, is that NBC’s numbers are down compared to last year, even with the lift it’s supposed to get from the Olympics.

That all said, NBC continues to win in the all important 25-54 demo.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/evening-news-ratings-week-of-feb-12-2/358255

Airing out of pattern, the events in Florida, the gun debate that followed, and Lester getting sick did not help.

NBC Nightly News was shown 3:30 pm during the Olympics and also the Florida shooting coverage took over and Lester was in Korea. To me the evening news ratings battle does not add up cause each newscast is shown different parts of the country at different times.

It sounds like the flu was going around the Super Bowl. One of the highlighted comments for me on Instagram on Lester’s flu pic was Jim Rosenfield. He came down with it when he got back. It makes sense people from all over the country and world coming to Minneapolis. And this was at the time when they were running endless flu stories.

With Dylan Dreyer getting it right as she arrives in PyeongChang sounds like she caught it at the Super Bowl. According to the CDC the typical incubation period is 1-4 Days (average of 2), a person can transmit the virus one day before they develop symptoms and upto a week after they recover. So it sounds like Dylan caught it at the Super Bowl and got sick in PyeongChang but was quarantined.

I heard of other people getting sick at the Olympics. It’s not that surprising as everyone’s working and living in close quarters. Back in Rio the media people from station groups all share an apartment or two per group and I imagine it’s the same in PyeongChang. Of course I expect stars like Lester to have his own room or hotel. In the media village where space is at a premium people are practically stacked on top of each other it wouldn’t be surprising if it was filled with germs. The primary way of transmitting the virus is through coughing and sneezing - causing large particle droplets - which travel around a meter. So imagine your at one of those long desks at the IBC and someone sneezes everyone immediately next to, across or catty corner to them is at risk.

But enough about being the transmission of the flu.

Here’s Lester and his puppy, soup from Dateline colleagues and tamiflu recovering. Hopes to be back tomorrow.

[MEDIA=instagram]BfeEkbcHBCs[/MEDIA]

Lester is back and he looks good, I am noticing they are trying to make changes to the evening news. They are bringing back the preview ticker and they have a Nightly rundown. To me they should make the newscast more faster pace and hard hitting with more dramatic music. The political reporters on NBC Nightly News like Hallie Jackson, Peter Alexander talk too much, they can say one thing in two seconds where it takes them 30 seconds and take off the pace from the news cast and I wonder if viewers are getting tired of these political reporters.

I remember when Lester had his own show on MSNBC, his show was hard hitting, fast pace and militaristic dramatic. I think Nightly News needs to do that and let Lester do more transitions into his newscast. Nightly News is letting these reporters dictate the pace too much on the newscast.

David Muir's program he controls the pace of the newscast.

I wonder if Lester is still being pushed down cause of what Brian Williams did, to me I feel like NBC is not letting the news anchor have full control over his own newscast. When Lester first started out in 2015, the newscast felt faster pace and more pinpointed. Now maybe with producer changes it feels more medium slow pace.

I wonder if Lester is still being pushed down cause of what Brian Williams did, to me I feel like NBC is not letting the news anchor have full control over his own newscast.

If I recall correctly one of the changes they made was that the anchor didn’t have total control of the show nor the managing editor. Lester definitely has input but probably not complete control.

If I recall correctly one of the changes they made was that the anchor didn’t have total control of the show nor the managing editor. Lester definitely has input but probably not complete control.

I wonder if that is now finally affecting them now cause Lester is not Brian Williams nor should he have to pay for Williams scandal. People are very preceptive and can read in between the lines and some viewers on Twitter and Facebook think that Lester is being controlled more then leading the newscast himself.

• Like 1

Do you all think that Lester Holt will be in the anchor chair for a long time or that NBC will want to put someone younger in?

I think NBC does not even want to think about a replacement. Lester is highly valued at NBC, he brings stability, steadiness and respectability to the network and they will find a way to keep him at NBC as long as they can. Also Lester is universally respected by viewers so him leaving NBC would impact the brand and if goes to another network, that network will only benefit. Lester is not only popular at Nightly News but also Dateline. Dateline is the most popular newsmagazine and has grown in it's younger viewership during Lester's tenure.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Slight mistake on the 4PM Special Report. Instead of the standard peacock the rotating Nightly News bug played out for about 50 seconds before switching to the correct one. Now does anyone know if the bug is inserted by the 1A control room or NBC’s NOC?

For what it’s worth during Today the rotating logo bug and peacock isn’t inserted (or atleast seen on the switcher program monitor). If you’ve ever seen a BTS picture that area is absent.

• Like 1

Slight mistake on the 4PM Special Report. Instead of the standard peacock the rotating Nightly News bug played out for about 50 seconds before switching to the correct one. Now does anyone know if the bug is inserted by the 1A control room or NBC’s NOC?

For what it’s worth during Today the rotating logo bug and peacock isn’t inserted (or atleast seen on the switcher program monitor). If you’ve ever seen a BTS picture that area is absent.

I thought Nightly had their own seperate control room.

How do you like the new Nightly News studio? It has been in effect, I believe for six or eight months now.

• Like 2

I thought Nightly had their own seperate control room.

How do you like the new Nightly News studio? It has been in effect, I believe for six or eight months now.

I like it. They use 1A. Maybe they are getting a new one with the renovations going on.

• Like 1

Perhaps tho I can also see NBC wanting someone younger.

I think NBC does not even want to think about a replacement. Lester is highly valued at NBC, he brings stability, steadiness and respectability to the network and they will find a way to keep him at NBC as long as they can. Also Lester is universally respected by viewers so him leaving NBC would impact the brand and if goes to another network, that network will only benefit. Lester is not only popular at Nightly News but also Dateline. Dateline is the most popular newsmagazine and has grown in it's younger viewership during Lester's tenure.

Perhaps tho I can also see NBC wanting someone younger.

Lester is universally respected among a lot of viewer and the NBC staff and a stalwart for the network, he is the go to guy and has all the qualifications. You can't just get someone without there being a backlash. There is really nobody at NBC that qualifies to be an evening news anchor. If Lester decides to leave, there are networks that are willing to hire him in a heart beat. NBC just has to manage Lester better by giving him better bookings and more access to various projects and let him become a managing director. He s very rounded where he can various forms of news and genres, yet he is given one dimensional position at Nightly News. Let Lester interview various people besides just politicians, have him do special assignments for Nightly News. For example, a trip through heartland America or an exploration through China.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m not a big fan of the recent changes to NN. I don’t like how the opening is so quick, and the show is timed so there is no closing credit. Oftentimes, our affiliate is cutting off the last few words since it runs long. Thankfully the weekend edition still has some room to breathe

• Like 6

I’m not a big fan of the recent changes to NN. I don’t like how the opening is so quick, and the show is timed so there is no closing credit. Oftentimes, our affiliate is cutting off the last few words since it runs long. Thankfully the weekend edition still has some room to breathe

I am glad to see Lester putting more of a voice and personality in presenting a story in his broadcast. It is his broadcast, and NBC should have a booker and have him get interviews and special segments. The evening news needs originality. I think Andrew Lack needs to let go of the leash and let Lester be his own man and stop making him pay for Brian Williams problems.

I think NBC should do a closing credit of different cities around the country. One night they do a closing credit of the Washington DC and the next night the city of Denver and the other night city of Houston. Lester says that the evening news should reflect the country so they should include the different cities in the country. I am tired of the NYC and DC bubble.

To me I think the evening news is running faster cause they are putting more stories in a 10 minute compression before first commerical break. However, I have a problem with some of the reporters, I think they talk to much. It is that MSNBC school of talking too much and saying very little in a broadcast like evening news 1 minute is like 5 minutes. I think NBC needs to divorce itself slightly from some MSNBC reporters.

I don't have a problem with the reporters personally but I think some of them lack good concise reporting skills for a network.I think Kasie Hunt, Kelly O Donnell and Kristen Welker should be permanent political reporters for Nightly News. They are the best reporters for Nightly News. The other political reporters try to hard to get their camera time more then focusing on the story.

The dramatic storytelling approach is getting old and each reporter sounds alike whether it be hard news or human feature. They need to change the tempo of each story.

• Like 1

I am glad to see Lester putting more of a voice and personality in presenting a story in his broadcast. It is his broadcast, and NBC should have a booker and have him get interviews and special segments. The evening news needs originality. I think Andrew Lack needs to let go of the leash and let Lester be his own man and stop making him pay for Brian Williams problems.

I think NBC should do a closing credit of different cities around the country. One night they do a closing credit of the Washington DC and the next night the city of Denver and the other night city of Houston. Lester says that the evening news should reflect the country so they should include the different cities in the country. I am tired of the NYC and DC bubble.

To me I think the evening news is running faster cause they are putting more stories in a 10 minute compression before first commerical break. However, I have a problem with some of the reporters, I think they talk to much. It is that MSNBC school of talking too much and saying very little in a broadcast like evening news 1 minute is like 5 minutes. I think NBC needs to divorce itself slightly from some MSNBC reporters.

I don't have a problem with the reporters personally but I think some of them lack good concise reporting skills for a network.I think Kasie Hunt, Kelly O Donnell and Kristen Welker should be permanent political reporters for Nightly News. They are the best reporters for Nightly News. The other political reporters try to hard to get their camera time more then focusing on the story.

The dramatic storytelling approach is getting old and each reporter sounds alike whether it be hard news or human feature. They need to change the tempo of each story.

What is your deal? You only seem to be critical and it’s only of NBC properties. Are you a former disgruntled employee?

• Like 1

What is your deal? You only seem to be critical and it’s only of NBC properties. Are you a former disgruntled employee?

Why are you so triggered? Do you work at NBC?

I can say whatever criticism I want as long as I am not hurting anybody.